Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AnklePicker

We need 10 Olympic weights

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Perhaps but think of it from an athlete’s perspective. Our will be tweeners in particular. Sucks for them. 

Yes.  I do agree.  Like I said, I would prefer 10.  But I figure I’d point out the one positive.  

Very happy UWW went back to 10 in non-Olympic years.  Wish Olympics would do the same.  In the meantime, the drama that comes with the reduction to 6 is entertaining to this fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Olympics have always been the pinnacle showcase for its sports.  For wrestling, does only having 6 weightclasses reduce this?  I can only say, I think the WC’s are far more representative of the depth of the sport and as such, is much more enjoyable for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 2:33 PM, ched64 said:

The Olympics have always been the pinnacle showcase for its sports.  For wrestling, does only having 6 weightclasses reduce this?  I can only say, I think the WC’s are far more representative of the depth of the sport and as such, is much more enjoyable for me.

I think it’s the best representation of the best not only because of the depth as far as nations are concerned, but individually but forcing athletes to go above or beyond their optimum weight, are you getting their best?  You can make the argument you get all those top guys condensed into one bracket, but are they the same guy if they have to bump or cut?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get your point but believe having 10 gold metal matvhes versus 6 would draw in more viewers both nationally and inter as people from different states and nations would be involved.  PR is about getting eyes on the sport.  Wrestling folk like this group will watch every match.  The average bloke won’t...UNLESS....they have a reason to do so...and only then watch the finals on the main telecast.  In addition, I have come a long way on womens wrestling....but it isnt the same...there just arent that many participants worlwide to rationalize having the same number of weight classes.  If 6 is the right number for WF, shouldnt men’s freestyle at least have 40% more given the multiple of men who grow up in the sport in the world?

Lastly, what other sport would strike a deal taking 40% of their stars out of play for the biggest event every 4 years.  Moving up and down is a big deal!  Anywhere from 10-15 lbs for world class athletes takes a boatload more than skipping or having dessert.  I like that the Olympics didnt throw us to the curb but sometimes wonder whether it is worth it if the representation is less than it is the other 3 yrs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 9:02 PM, Lurker said:

I think it’s the best representation of the best not only because of the depth as far as nations are concerned, but individually but forcing athletes to go above or beyond their optimum weight, are you getting their best?  You can make the argument you get all those top guys condensed into one bracket, but are they the same guy if they have to bump or cut?

Of course they’re not. We’ve seen it over and over. Some guys are “tweeners” and put their health at risk to have a shot. How can they justify boxing having 10 men’s weights and wrestling having 6?  Makes no sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Of course they’re not. We’ve seen it over and over. Some guys are “tweeners” and put their health at risk to have a shot. How can they justify boxing having 10 men’s weights and wrestling having 6?  Makes no sense. 

It's easy to justify if you are the IOC. Wrestling has two styles. The average IOC guy probably does not understand why. Also, boxing is a much more popular sport with boxers on the pro level being among the most famous athletes in the world (not as much as 30 years ago, but still). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lurker said:

There’s 18 weights total in Olympic wrestling, 13 in boxing. That’s not an argument we’re going to win. 

Correct.  The IOC has mandated no new number of medals.  That required the 6 weights.  They will not budge.  All the guys who do not make it through OTT's will be able to do the WC's after the Olympics like Logiebear did.  He did it for the first time it was offered I think.  But there may be more interest in 2020. 

10 should be a no brainer.   We have 3 styles of wrestling.  Swimming, gymnastics, and track all have many more styles.  And those are the events that  get watched, hence more medals.

mspart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Correct.  The IOC has mandated no new number of medals.  That required the 6 weights.  They will not budge.  All the guys who do not make it through OTT's will be able to do the WC's after the Olympics like Logiebear did.  He did it for the first time it was offered I think.  But there may be more interest in 2020. 
10 should be a no brainer.   We have 3 styles of wrestling.  Swimming, gymnastics, and track all have many more styles.  And those are the events that  get watched, hence more medals.
mspart
It Is true but wrestling is a combat sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, mspart said:

Correct.  The IOC has mandated no new number of medals.  That required the 6 weights.  They will not budge.  

Maybe a stupid question but if we add women’s greco do people worry that is likely to result in a further reduction in weight classes for the 3 existing styles (nevermind for the time being that 18 isn’t evenly divisible by 4)...or is the expectation wrestling would bump to 24 total weights across 4 styles?

Edited by MDogg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Maybe a stupid question but if we add women’s greco do people worry that is likely to result in a further reduction in weight classes for the 3 existing styles (nevermind for the time being that 18 isn’t evenly divisible by 4)...or is the expectation wrestling would bump to 24 total weights across 4 styles?

I think we are so far away from women's greco in olympics that its not even considered at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, there should be ten Olympic men’s freestyle weight classes, and eight women’s.

Because Greco has failed to create a women’s side, I think it should be left out of the modern corporate Olympic movement.

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the IOC gives UWW a head count and a medal count, which are mostly for logistical accommodations. there is a limit to how many athletes the Olympics will require host countries to handle and only so much arena floor space the Olympics are going to require host countries to reserve. 

there's also a mandate for gender equity. right now UWW is complying with the head count and arena space limits but they are not in compliance with gender equity. before wrestling gets more time and space in the arena (which would accommodate more weight classes) or more total wrestlers, they will likely have to solve their gender equity imbalance. 

so step one is somehow have 9 mens and 9 womens gold medals. then become more valuable as a sport (ie better tv ratings). then the IOC will consider upping the head count and medal count. 

at least that's my read on the situation. haven't spoken to anyone at UWW or anything about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

I believe the IOC gives UWW a head count and a medal count, which are mostly for logistical accommodations. there is a limit to how many athletes the Olympics will require host countries to handle and only so much arena floor space the Olympics are going to require host countries to reserve. 

there's also a mandate for gender equity. right now UWW is complying with the head count and arena space limits but they are not in compliance with gender equity. before wrestling gets more time and space in the arena (which would accommodate more weight classes) or more total wrestlers, they will likely have to solve their gender equity imbalance. 

so step one is somehow have 9 mens and 9 womens gold medals. then become more valuable as a sport (ie better tv ratings). then the IOC will consider upping the head count and medal count.  

at least that's my read on the situation. haven't spoken to anyone at UWW or anything about it. 

Agreed - total participation and number of medals awarded are fixed.  Dropping Greco and awarding 9 & 9 freestyle medals for men & women is the only way to get more weight classes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Katie said:

IMO, there should be ten Olympic men’s freestyle weight classes, and eight women’s.

Because Greco has failed to create a women’s side, I think it should be left out of the modern corporate Olympic movement.

Is there a strong push by women for Greco? That’s pretty much putting the practice of title IX into the Olympics. “It’s alot easier just to drop a men’s sport”

Edited by Lurker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lu_alum said:

Agreed - total participation and number of medals awarded are fixed.  Dropping Greco and awarding 9 & 9 freestyle medals for men & women is the only way to get more weight classes.

I hope to all that is holy Greco does not get dropped from the Olympics 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lurker said:

I hope to all that is holy Greco does not get dropped from the Olympics 

greco is not going to get dropped...

the only "fans" clamoring for that hold no sway on anything... not even a forum...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you even imagine how big a Russia/USA dual with 10 bad asses on each team would be like.  We used to have World Cup matches with the strong Russian teams.  I think things have changed.  I believe you could fill Madison Square Garden for that dual, especially if we can close the gap on them.  One thing is for sure.  Neither team would be forfeiting to protect seeds.  Mano a Mano.  Damn, that would be cool.  I'd pay 20 bucks to see that on ppv, and I imagine that means there are hundreds of thousands who would if it was promoted right.  The GOLDEN rule.  He with the gold, makes the rules.

Edited by Peso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peso said:

I'd pay 20 bucks to see that on ppv, and I imagine that means there are hundreds of thousands who would if it was promoted right.

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We would always make the trek to Toledo throughout the early to mid 80's for The World Cup.  It was like our wrestling pilgrimage.                                                                                                          I was 11-17 yrs old and it was always awesome.  It was an 'event' still.  I remember it being the best tourney besides the Olympics, although I was just a kid.                                                             I traded pins and singlets, my cousin traded jeans with the Russians.  It was definitely an, 'Event.' 

 

That's what the discussion above reminded me of.  

Edited by Mphillips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...