Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Looking back, was Nolf really that great?

Recommended Posts

I know his record and awesome style, but I can't help but feel a bit soured by his ill gotten "victory" over Hidlay in this past NCAAs.  Does anyone else feel like his legacy was tarnished a bit by the fact he probably should have finished with 2 titles and not 3?  Great kid, nothing bad to say about him personally but that controversial victory really gives me pause in putting him as an all time great.  And the fact that he's not that great a freestyle (yet).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I know his record and awesome style, but I can't help but feel a bit soured by his ill gotten "victory" over Hidlay in this past NCAAs.  Does anyone else feel like his legacy was tarnished a bit by the fact he probably should have finished with 2 titles and not 3?  Great kid, nothing bad to say about him personally but that controversial victory really gives me pause in putting him as an all time great.  And the fact that he's not that great a freestyle (yet).

He lost to Imar then didn’t lose for 3 years while destroying everyone in his path with the exception of 1 match vs Pantelo and 1 against hidley...he also dominated ncaa on 1 leg so no I don’t think anyone in there right mind thinks his legacy is tarnished 

Edited by Antitroll2828

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jimmy's pulling deep in to the well...

If his legacy was Heil-like going into his senior season, then I could see where that has effect.  But his was of always looking to score, sometimes with dynamic, creative stuff that many if not all had never seen before.  One tight match with a little controversy doesn't impact his legacy at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nolf is a special kind of wrestler.  Dominant, versatile, entertaining, flashy, and, from what I could tell very humble.  All eyes wanted to see what weird hold / move he was going to put on his opponent.  Not afraid to give up points in order to hit some crazy stuff.  Lots of ooos and ahhhs.  He was and is freakin awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nolf is unquestionably one of the greatest wrestlers in college history. 

If you don't see his record, performance and college career in terms of superlatives, well, I'm sorry for you because you don't understand or appreciate transcendent creativity, dominance, or the ability to move a sport into a new level or perspective.   

When educated wrestling fans  in the future invoke Nolf, it will be in the same way that they speak about guys like Schalles, Askren, Sanderson, and the like. 

It remains to be seen what he will do on the freestyle circuit but his reputation is already secure in college wrestling.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, russelscout said:

A little? They unquestionably got the call right, went to review and overturned it.  Hidlay got robbed.

Haven’t we been through this ad nauseam? Yes. It was a little controversy. Everyone knows the details. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Haven’t we been through this ad nauseam? Yes. It was a little controversy. Everyone knows the details. Thanks. 

Just the fact that we have been through this ad nauseam suggests that it was more than a little controversy. Im sorry Lurker, but those seem like conflicting ideas. 

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

in the first period

Is that somehow worth less points? Nolf had very little success offensively outside his one takedown off of Hidlays shot. There is this arguement by PSU fans that he could turn it on at any moment had he been down, but Nolf is not celebrated because he holds on and wins close matches. He is celebrated because he keeps the pedal to the metal. This match he scored 0 offensive attacks. There was something different this match, and it was that Hidlay had him stifled. Its too bad for him he couldnt get a fair shake.

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

What kind of thread is this?  

See, Jimmy brought up a sensitive subject with PSU's fans, and then they proceeded to downplay the screw job that was handed to Hidlay as if there was nothing significant and it was no biggie. Then I came in to remind them that the call did really have a huge outcome in the match, therefore had an outcome on the 2019 157 lb bracket and should be considered when evaluating Nolf's 3rd title.... pretty straight forward really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, russelscout said:

See, Jimmy brought up a sensitive subject with PSU's fans, and then they proceeded to downplay the screw job that was handed to Hidlay as if there was nothing significant and it was no biggie. Then I came in to remind them that the call did really have a huge outcome in the match, therefore had an outcome on the 2019 157 lb bracket and should be considered when evaluating Nolf's 3rd title.... pretty straight forward really. 

I considered it, then I just thought of how great Nolf is. Pretty great.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A reminder that all you have to do to put a user on ignore is to highlight over a user's name on any of their posts.  From there make sure all the options are checked then click "Update Preferences" - better to ignore people that clearly aren't trying to have a legitimate discussion about wrestling but instead cause rancor and fighting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I considered it, then I just thought of how great Nolf is. Pretty great.  

Definitely. He is phenomenal and one of the most exciting wrestlers in recent memory. I'm not questioning that, but as far as the semis go this year lets not pretend that:
 

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

It was a little controversy.


because it was no small mis-call or just irrelevant because it was:

 

10 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

in the first period


It was a bad call that could have influenced the outcome, but Nolf is still a legend. Both can be true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, russelscout said:

Definitely. He is phenomenal and one of the most exciting wrestlers in recent memory. 

Glad we agree on the superbly talented Jason Nolf, one of the greatest college wrestler of all time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...