Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Looking back, was Nolf really that great?

11 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Aside  from injury defaults, was he undefeated his last three  years?

In recent  years, who aside from Dake, Ruth, Stieber, Taylor and Retherford has as good or a better record?

Thats exactly it though; define "one of the greatest college wrestlers of all time". Is it top 5? Top 10? Top 25? You just named 5 with arguments for being better from the last ten years without breaking a sweat. 

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

A reminder that all you have to do to put a user on ignore is to highlight over a user's name on any of their posts.  From there make sure all the options are checked then click "Update Preferences" - better to ignore people that clearly aren't trying to have a legitimate discussion about wrestling but instead cause rancor and fighting. 

You aren't talking about me are you Gantry? I hope not!

Looks like there are about 30 three-time  (including 4X) champs.  That means you can put Nolf in the top 30 (though some would say that some two-timers are better than some three-timers). Is one of the top 30 the same as one of the best? I'd say so.

Here is the list, which has not been updated to include Nolf, Bo or even Retherford and  Snyder.

Edited by NJDan

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

Looks like there are about 30 3X  (including 4X) champs.  That means you can put Nolf in the top 30 (though some would say that some two-timers are better than some three-timers). Is one of the top 30 the same as one of the best? I'd say so.

Its definitely subjective. Imo, JB his senior year, he was an all time great. Same could probably be said about John Smith. 

JB was a national champ, undefeated his  last two years  (I think). But there have been over 100 two-timers and a lot of the two-time champs were probably undefeated in their title years. Can't really say they were all "one of the best.

4 hours ago, russelscout said:

Just the fact that we have been through this ad nauseam suggests that it was more than a little controversy. Im sorry Lurker, but those seem like conflicting ideas. 

Alot of back and forth on themat.com does not constitute a lot of controversy.  If it did, the wrestling world would be nothing but.  It was controversial, to what level I guess depends on the person. So to avoid some multi page thing about the definition of a little controversy, since the wording I used is really not that big of a deal, we'll just leave it there.

15 minutes ago, NJDan said:

JB was a national champ, undefeated his  last two years  (I think). But there have been over 100 two-timers and a lot of the two-time champs were probably undefeated in their title years. Can't really say they were all "one of the best.

No but with JB, you could see that he was both physically and technically dominant over some great guys. Take Jordans best year; did Stieber ever look better than that? Did Pat Smith? 

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Alot of back and forth on themat.com does not constitute a lot of controversy.  If it did, the wrestling world would be nothing but.  It was controversial, to what level I guess depends on the person. So to avoid some multi page thing about the definition of a little controversy, since the wording I used is really not that big of a deal, we'll just leave it there.

Ok, throw in Twitter, Instagram, Flo, and I can go over to Youtube and find the position slowed down.  It was one of the biggest stories of the 2019 NCAA's, would you agree?

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Ok, throw in Twitter, Instagram, Flo, and I can go over to Youtube and find the position slowed down.  It was one of the biggest stories of the 2019 NCAA's, would you agree?

I wasn't sold on the level of controversy based on what was going on around here....but now that you have informed me people on twitter were arguing about it!  SOLD!!  I'm going to quietly walk out of this room, now that the where is the breaking point for a little vs a lot of controversy controversy has been settled..

2 hours ago, russelscout said:

No. Ben Askren is one of the greatest college wrestlers of all time. That definitely works. Nolf... IDK

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

So there is more than one. :) 

24 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Why wouldnt (I Mar)  he be?

You literally asked for a definition of "one of the grestest college wrestlers of all time". Of course there are more than one of them, so I gave you one possible definition. Askren is fine too. I Mar is also fine.  

Can't believe you feel the need to knock Jason Nolf. Really weak. 

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I wasn't sold on the level of controversy based on what was going on around here....but now that you have informed me people on twitter were arguing about it!  SOLD!!  I'm going to quietly walk out of this room, now that the where is the breaking point for a little vs a lot of controversy controversy has been settled..

You didnt answer the question. Was it or was it not one of the biggest stories of the tournament? That was the main point I was trying to make but you saw twitter and jumped at the chance  to make a straw man arguement. 

Edited by russelscout

13 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

You literally asked for a definition of "one of the grestest college wrestlers of all time". Of course there are more than one of them, so I gave you one possible definition. Askren is fine too. I Mar is also fine.  

Can't believe you feel the need to knock Jason Nolf. Really weak. 

I am not really knocking Nolf. You PSU fans are just trying to control the narrative about the semi match. At the same time, I would consider the top 30 a little too diluted of a pool to be considered one of the greatest, but as I said several times its subjective. You just cant handle the fact that I dont agree with you. 

Edited by russelscout

4 minutes ago, russelscout said:

You didnt answer the question. Was it or was it not one of the biggest stories of the tournament? 

We just finished the breaking point definition of "little vs not little" debate, do we need to get right into the what is the definition of "one of" argument you have going on as well.  I don't know that I have the willpower for both in the same day!  Bless you for your strength, but I just can't.

6 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I am not really knocking Nolf. You PSU fans are just trying to control the narrative about the semi match. At the same time, I would consider the top 30 a little too diluted of a pool to be considered one of the greatest, but as I said several times its subjective. You just cant handle the fact that I dont agree with you. 

Uh, that is bullcrap.

The thread was a troll job on whether Jason Nolf with his 3 NCAA titles and only 2 true career losses was "all that great". You are the one who made a big deal about one match, and you did it to knock Nolf down a peg. Really, REALLY, weak. 

This is the hill you're gonna die on? Nolf wasn't among the greatest? No serious wrestling journalist is ever going to agree with that tripe. 

Just now, Lurker said:

We just finished the breaking point definition of "little vs not little" debate, do we need to get right into the what is the definition of "one of" argument you have going on as well.  I don't know that I have the willpower for both in the same day!  Bless you for your strength, but I just can't.

Twitter is a part of social media is it not? I also said several other things. The point was never to use Twitter as a single main point. It was a small piece of a much larger point about media/social media and that semifinal match being one of the most significant stories within all those sources(which is ridiculous I have to explain, but thats what you get when people employ logical fallacies). Because of that, I believe this was one of, if not the biggest story. Then I asked you the question if you believed the same, which is a clear oppurtunity to refute my arguement, which you conveniently avoided in your last two posts.

3 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Twitter is a part of social media is it not? I also said several other things. The point was never to use Twitter as a single main point. It was a small piece of a much larger point about media/social media and that semifinal match being one of the most significant stories within all those sources(which is ridiculous I have to explain, but thats what you get when people employ logical fallacies). Because of that, I believe this was one of, if not the biggest story. Then I asked you the question if you believed the same, which is a clear oppurtunity to refute my arguement, which you conveniently avoided in your last two posts.

That would be because, as I said,  I'm not going to continue to argue over what is a little vs what is a lot.  For example, my concern for whether or not "little" is placed in front of the word "controversy" is.....little.  Your concern on the other hand is apparently...a lot.  And I don't see the need to continue the argument because it is very much a bigger deal for you than me, and that's great, we all have our little things we like to focus on, so I won't get in the way of that.

I will however continue with sarcasm and smart ass comments. Those are always fun!!