Housebuye

Looking back, was Dake really that great?

25 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

I’ve never seen a fantasy match that he could win.  

Well when you move up to a new weight every year, that can happen.  He was a surprise his true freshman year, so people picked against him. Caldwell was at 149 his sophomore year, so people picked Caldwell (who then got hurt).  When he went to 165, Taylor was coming off winning the Hodge, so many people picked Taylor (despite Dake's dominance the summer prior). Then in freestyle, people have picked Taylor, Cox, and Burroughs over Dake....And 2 of those three predictions were right.  He has universally been favored in practically every other matchup. But his fans love to complain about how everyone always picks against him, so I guess it's true.  

4 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Well when you move up to a new weight every year, that can happen.  He was a surprise his true freshman year, so people picked against him. Caldwell was at 149 his sophomore year, so people picked Caldwell (who then got hurt).  When he went to 165, Taylor was coming off winning the Hodge, so many people picked Taylor (despite Dake's dominance the summer prior). Then in freestyle, people have picked Taylor, Cox, and Burroughs over Dake....And 2 of those three predictions were right.  He has universally been favored in practically every other matchup. But his fans love to complain about how everyone always picks against him, so I guess it's true.  

As a Dake fan you presented nothing but facts.

12 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Don’t try to rationalize it.  In the fantasy world all that counts in the end are the  fake W’s!  :)

Edited by MadMardigain

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

To be fair, he wrestled Taylor like 10 times and Taylor’s fans picked him every single time. That adds up. 

9 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

To be fair, he wrestled Taylor like 10 times and Taylor’s fans picked him every single time. That adds up. 

I agree that after a while the PSU fans continuing to predict Taylor was impractical.  But in their defense, Dake fans also continue to pick him over Burroughs.  People can spot reasons for these choices (Burroughs aging, Dake's injuries, Taylor being stronger at 86kg than 74 kg).  

16 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I agree that after a while the PSU fans continuing to predict Taylor was impractical.  But in their defense, Dake fans also continue to pick him over Burroughs.  People can spot reasons for these choices (Burroughs aging, Dake's injuries, Taylor being stronger at 86kg than 74 kg).  

The difference? Kyle has actually beaten Jordan before. That was the largest factor in them choosing Dake as a favorite.

10 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

Cornell fans now know what it's like to be a serious threat.. so much discussion for a team that everybody wants to put down. Past and present members are not excluded from topics of conversation.

Cornell is a serious threat? To what? 2020 5th place? 

I still don't understand why people were picking Ringer last weekend.  Dake is that great that it takes arguably the greatest to beat him (Burroughs).

I just don't get it.  You can see it in his wrestling even though he is rarely dynamic.  I guess when it comes down to it, very few people who follow the sport actually truely knows it.

Kind of like Wade Boggs stepping on egg shells with his lead foot and winning batting titles I guess.

Edited by Boompa

8 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Cornell is a serious threat? To what? 2020 5th place? 

The funny thing is, had Taylor beaten Dake, DT would be considered one of the greatest three timers ever. But since he didn't he's not considered one of the best two timers.

Edited by HokieHWT

1 minute ago, HokieHWT said:

The funny thing is, had Taylor beaten Dake, DT would be considered one of the greatest three timers ever. But since he didn't he's not considered one of the best two timers.

To you perhaps. Taylor scored more team points at NCAA's then all but maybe 2 or 3 wrestlers in the history of the sport. He lost to only two wrestlers. His position as one of the greatest wrestlers ever is on very firm ground.

3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

To you perhaps. Taylor scored more team points at NCAA's then all but maybe 2 or 3 wrestlers in the history of the sport. He lost to only two wrestlers. His position as one of the greatest wrestlers ever is on very firm ground.

Askren, Smith, Mocco, Konrad, Gwiazdowski, Wright, Oliver, Varner, Herbert...

Edited by HokieHWT

14 hours ago, Boompa said:

I still don't understand why people were picking Ringer last weekend.  Dake is that great that it takes arguably the greatest to beat him (Burroughs).

I just don't get it.  You can see it in his wrestling even though he is rarely dynamic.  I guess when it comes down to it, very few people who follow the sport actually truely knows it.

Kind of like Wade Boggs stepping on egg shells with his lead foot and winning batting titles I guess.

Amen to this. Seems like half the wrestling fans can't figure out how good Dake is. Same issue with football fans and Tom Brady. Amazing.