Sign in to follow this  
nom

Examples of clearly ridiculous calls

In another thread this match was posted

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/video/detail/khetag-goziumov-aze-df-reza-mohammad-ali-yazdani-iri-2-1/

Head official blatantly says ‘no’ to a clear TD by Yazdani at end of first period.  Even upon review.  American official was dumbfounded.  You can hear him on the video.

Other clearly wrong examples?  Curious to see.  Not interested in tricky calls.

Would be great if you could provide video with a sense of where (timewise) and what the error was in the match.

• 2015 worlds, Lebedev vs. Bonne (ended in chants for Cuba)
  • 2016 Russian Nationals, Lebedev vs. Musukaev (ended in a shoving match, benches cleared, and Dagestanis boycotting the rest of the tournament)
  • 2016 Russian Nationals, Lebedev vs. Bogomoev (ended in two gold medals)

3 questions/comments on the Yazdani match:

1) Is stepping on the foot to snatch a single legal or not?

2) His knee bounced off the mat, no control and with Yazdani completely off the mat.  Don't know the exact rules, but doesn't feel like a takedown.

3) Again, Yazdani was not on the mat when Gozuimov was.  

It's my understanding that stepping on the foot to snatch a single isn't legal.  But it's tough to catch it in the heat of the action, so he gets away with it.  That said, I've seen a wrestler caught by the other coaches (not Yazdani) and the challenge brick thrown, the video watched, the foot-stepping seen and the challenge denied, so I'm not sure.  

4 hours ago, nom said:

In another thread this match was posted

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/video/detail/khetag-goziumov-aze-df-reza-mohammad-ali-yazdani-iri-2-1/

Head official blatantly says ‘no’ to a clear TD by Yazdani at end of first period.  Even upon review.  American official was dumbfounded.  You can hear him on the video.

Other clearly wrong examples?  Curious to see.  Not interested in tricky calls.

Would be great if you could provide video with a sense of where (timewise) and what the error was in the match.

The other review official next to Errett hardly looked at the video. I also thought that even if you think the knee didn't quite touch a couple seconds later his butt hit.

10 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

3 questions/comments on the Yazdani match:

1) Is stepping on the foot to snatch a single legal or not?

2) His knee bounced off the mat, no control and with Yazdani completely off the mat.  Don't know the exact rules, but doesn't feel like a takedown.

3) Again, Yazdani was not on the mat when Gozuimov was.  

What are you talking about, both wrestlers were completely on the mat..most probably you are looking at a wrong takedown. The takedown in discussion was the one that happened at the end of 1st period!

1 minute ago, freestyle_fan said:

What are you talking about, both wrestlers were completely on the mat..most probably you are looking at a wrong takedown. The takedown in discussion was the one that happened at the end of 1st period!

uuummmm... no they were not... 

quad pod defense is a real thing... 

offensive wrestler has to be behind both hips and one supporting point needs to be down for it to be a takedown...

this isn't folk... 

12 minutes ago, LJB said:

uuummmm... no they were not... 

quad pod defense is a real thing... 

offensive wrestler has to be behind both hips and one supporting point needs to be down for it to be a takedown...

this isn't folk... 

No idea what you are looking at. They might have been a couple feet from dead center. This is between 2:50 and 3:00. First the knee touches (barely) then Yaz sweeps a leg and Goz hits his butt. The ref called 2 after the butt hit.

4 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

No idea what you are looking at. They might have been a couple feet from dead center. This is between 2:50 and 3:00. First the knee touches (barely) then Yaz sweeps a leg and Goz hits his butt. The ref called 2 after the butt hit.

ugh...

i know what we are discussing... 

i'm specifically talking about this silly "both wrestlers were on the mat" take...

and, no matter how black and white some want to make it, it was not in real time... 

the knee down was suspect at best and the butt touch was literally split second... 

yes, im firmly in the camp it was a takedown on the butt touch not the knee... but to act as if this was some clear cut and dry call shows a lack of understanding

3 minutes ago, jmachinder said:

A knee bouncing off the mat meets criteria for a TD from that position.  

when the knee bounces off the mat, yazdani has a merkel position, so, no it does not meet criteria for a takedown...

2 hours ago, LJB said:

ugh...

i know what we are discussing... 

i'm specifically talking about this silly "both wrestlers were on the mat" take...

and, no matter how black and white some want to make it, it was not in real time... 

the knee down was suspect at best and the butt touch was literally split second... 

yes, im firmly in the camp it was a takedown on the butt touch not the knee... but to act as if this was some clear cut and dry call shows a lack of understanding

First, I don't think I was the only one to assume you meant in bounds by on the mat. 

Second, it doesn't matter how long the knee or butt was down. 

Third, in my watching video initially was thinking it was close as to whether the knee actually touched. But in reviewing I think it did. Clearly Zach errett did also several times. He was incredulous with the other guy's refusal to see it. 

Fourth, as to my lack of understanding, I officiated national fs and Greco finals matches over the course of about 7 years. Admittedly that was a while ago but the concepts in this case haven't changed. 

got to be fully behind the hips... you can freeze frame it all you want, but, in real time the knee down is suspect at best...

anyone claiming that non call is a travesty needs just a little bit of perspective...

i mistankenly called it a merkel position, it was just leg in off to the side, which, is not going to be called internationally

3 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

First, I don't think I was the only one to assume you meant in bounds by on the mat. 

Second, it doesn't matter how long the knee or butt was down. 

Third, in my watching video initially was thinking it was close as to whether the knee actually touched. But in reviewing I think it did. Clearly Zach errett did also several times. He was incredulous with the other guy's refusal to see it. 

Fourth, as to my lack of understanding, I officiated national fs and Greco finals matches over the course of about 7 years. Admittedly that was a while ago but the concepts in this case haven't changed. 

first... i didn't make the silly comment they were both on the mat...

second, i don't disagree, but, it is perfectly understandable to understand why either would not be called...

third, i didn't think the knee touched eiter... i looked at it several times as well and now i am pretty sure it did ever so slightly... then i looked at yazdani's posiiton and he was not fully behind the hips when it did... regardless, it is not an egregious call either way on the knee or the butt in real time...

fourth, they tell me i am an M2 ref... that is hardly the point... 

it was obviously two when the knee touched, which gets called internationally every time. then it was 2 when Goyzumov's butt touched, then Yazdani exposed Goyzumov with a suck back. 

Then the Russian ref who refused to look at the replay that clearly showed the two point takedown during the knee touch got expelled from the tournament.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1040862/three-referees-suspended-after-suspicious-officiating-in-quarter-final-as-final-rio-2016-wrestling-golds-decided

imo the Yaz v Goyzumov match was the biggest hose job of the tournament, by a large margin. 

9 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Actually you did say they weren't on the mat. You didn't start that part of the conversation but you said something like umm, no they weren't when someone disagreed with the other poster. 

i was referring to whether or not they were both in par terre and they clearly were not...

1 minute ago, LJB said:

i was referring to whether or not they were both in par terre and they clearly were not...

Do I need to cut and paste from my other reply that you copied in your reply? It's the first comment.

15 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

it was obviously two when the knee touched, which gets called internationally every time. then it was 2 when Goyzumov's butt touched, then Yazdani exposed Goyzumov with a suck back. 

Then the Russian ref who refused to look at the replay that clearly showed the two point takedown during the knee touch got expelled from the tournament.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1040862/three-referees-suspended-after-suspicious-officiating-in-quarter-final-as-final-rio-2016-wrestling-golds-decided

imo the Yaz v Goyzumov match was the biggest hose job of the tournament, by a large margin. 

it clearly was not obvious on the knee touch as it was not called by anyone... obvious would be, well, obvious...

had it been called a takedown i wouldn't argue it hard, but, the flip side is i can also see why it was not... the butt touch same scenario... to be fair, i didn't catch the suck back but i tend to agree with that as well...

all of this is to say, they were all borderline calls in real time and to say it was a "clearly ridiculous call"... egregious... "the biggest hose job" is silly... all the arguing between the officials and whether or not there was actual shenanigans going on on that front, i have little opinion on... but, the actual on the mat call in real time i can live with either way... the ref didn't call the knee as 2 but did call the butt touch as 2... i am good with both of those calls... what the judge and chairman did is immaterial to my talking points...

6 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Do I need to cut and paste from my other reply that you copied in your reply? It's the first comment.

FFS... please do...

you are mistaken on what i was referencing... i explained it further for you...

"on the mat" by freestyle fan was what i was commenting on... "on the mat" in free would be par terre... quad pod position is not par terre...