Jimmy Cinnabon

Worst NCAA Championship Match of All-Time

4 minutes ago, BadgerMon said:

Hicks - Trizzino in '79 was a snooze-fest, as was the subsequent DQ of Bud Palmer 45 minutes later vs Mark Lieberman.

Enjoy this!

https://www.si.com/vault/1979/03/05/823414/the-kids-all-heart-lehighs-mark-lieberman-is-not-the-most-talented-of-college-wrestlers-but-hes-the-guttiest--and-the-best

There was some talk about whether Palmer tanked intentionally so that Kinseth would get OW.

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

I remember this being a good match.

It's funny because I listed it in the greatest matches thread. Tie match with under min to go. Jaggers scores 4 points to take a 5-1 lead and has to hold off Mendes on 1 foot.

Edited by Sublime607

3 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

There was some talk about whether Palmer tanked intentionally so that Kinseth would get OW.

I can understand why "some" people would think that, Gimp; they really wanted Mark to get OW. I'd compare it to a conspiracy theory that has no merit. I talked with Bud afterwards and he said with tears in his eyes "I'm Gonna Beat Him" (exact words) presumably at some future date (Olympic trial?). He was really upset that he got beat that way, but it was his style to wait til the end to pour it on. Mark said he was waiting for it. Palmer went on to the ministry, more his speed compared to getting revenge.

45 minutes ago, Cooch1 said:

I can understand why "some" people would think that, Gimp; they really wanted Mark to get OW. I'd compare it to a conspiracy theory that has no merit. I talked with Bud afterwards and he said with tears in his eyes "I'm Gonna Beat Him" (exact words) presumably at some future date (Olympic trial?). He was really upset that he got beat that way, but it was his style to wait til the end to pour it on. Mark said he was waiting for it. Palmer went on to the ministry, more his speed compared to getting revenge.

Kinseth was going to get the OW no matter what anyone else did that weekend. 9 pins in a row to end the season!

On 8/21/2019 at 4:22 PM, HokieHWT said:

I rooted for Matt Brown up until that point. His entire career I was a fan, then I lost respect for him and PSU. Go Iowa!

That was unfortunate, for sure.  Wilps handled it well, after, if I remember.  Said something like he wouldn't have done it that way but he didn't make a big deal of it. Too bad, it had been a good match to that point.

I think this is the second recent thread like this and I've been really surprised that no one has mentioned the other Matt Brown final -- with C. Perry.  Didn't it come down to the OT rideout with zero action before?

Not sure if it was TB 1 or 2 but as I remember it was a poster child for a match that was wrestled strategically and tactically for the purpose of winning it in an OT rideout -- essentially planned backwards from that with the purpose being to avoid scoring before then. 

(To be fair, props to Perry for being more aggressive in his dominating win against Howe the next time.)

8 minutes ago, drag it said:

That was unfortunate, for sure.  Wilps handled it well, after, if I remember.  Said something like he wouldn't have done it that way but he didn't make a big deal of it. Too bad, it had been a good match to that point.

I think this is the second recent thread like this and I've been really surprised that no one has mentioned the other Matt Brown final -- with C. Perry.  Didn't it come down to the OT rideout with zero action before?

Not sure if it was TB 1 or 2 but as I remember it was a poster child for a match that was wrestled strategically and tactically for the purpose of winning it in an OT rideout -- essentially planned backwards from that with the purpose being to avoid scoring before then. 

(To be fair, props to Perry for being more aggressive in his dominating win against Howe the next time.)

And the NCAA changed the rules shortly after the Brown-Perry match to essentially call stalling on a side headlock.  Perry made a living off of that tactic in the same way Heil made a living off of extended back exposure positions. (which the NCAA later created a rule for as well).  Come to think of it, if you include Jordan Oliver's no takedown v. Steiber,  OKST wrestlers have been the catalysts for some long needed rule changes.  Not a bad thing I guess.