MDogg

PED Testing in NCAA

Does anybody know how often a D1 NCAA wrestler is tested by the NCAA for PEDs? In all the years I’ve been following college wrestling I can’t recall a single example of someone getting suspended because of a positive test. I’m curious if anybody knows how often (if at all) guys get tested and how comprehensive the tests are? The only time I’ve heard of wrestlers getting tested is immediately after the NCAA finals. 

I wrestled in the late 90’s in the Midwest, not for a powerhouse program by any means. After college I randomly worked with and became friends with a guy who wrestled for one of the powerhouse programs around where I grew up - the kind of program where parents move into the district just so their sons can be in that room during high school. He told me a ton of guys (including him) on his team did PEDs. They would do a cycle of one type in the late summer/early fall and then cycle onto something different once the season started. My friend didn’t wrestle in college but I can think of at least 2 guys from his program that went on to wrestle at Big 10 schools during that timeframe. 

I imagine/expect that NCAA guys who make international teams (junior, U23, senior) get tested up to international standards. 

Here’s my question: assuming he never wrestles freestyle or Greco internationally, how many times does an elite NCAA wrestler (let’s say 4x all American) get tested? If they never make the NCAA finals do they ever get tested?

Edited by MDogg

The NCAA only tests at the NCAA championships but most D1 schools have their own drug testing policies that include PEDs. How easy it is to get around them, I don’t know, since I don’t recall many D1 football players being suspended either and half of them are probably juiced up. 

5 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

The NCAA only tests at the NCAA championships but most D1 schools have their own drug testing policies that include PEDs. How easy it is to get around them, I don’t know, since I don’t recall many D1 football players being suspended either and half of them are probably juiced up. 

I’m not saying the testing of NCAA football players is thorough or all that effective, but I can think of a decent number of NCAA football players who have been suspended or cut over failed PED tests. Clemson lost at least 2 guys just before last year’s championship game over failed tests...and Will Grier wound up at West Virginia because he got kicked out of Florida after getting a 1 year ban for failing a drug test over PEDs.

5 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

In my 20 years as scorer, I believe I was twice asked to cancel out an individuals scores as a result of testing.

Out of curiosity are you sure it was a positive test for PEDs and not something like marijuana?

28 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Football players are suspended every year for failing the test.  You just don’t know about it because they are suspended for “violation of team rules” and are suspended for failing a school administered test.  

If an athlete fails an NCAA administered test it is a harsher penalty ( I think it costs a year of eligibility but would have to look it up to confirm). 

However, if an athlete fails a school administered test then the penalty is up to the school as long as they have a written policy on file for how they will handle the violations so that it is consistent for athletes at the school. 

Some schools test a few weeks before the end of the season to prevent a failure from turning up in an NCAA test.  If an athlete is going to fail they want to know before the harsher penalty will be imposed. 

I know football players who were juiced to the gills and never failed a drug test.  I know of one All American wrestler who was dropping hits of LSD, drunk and coked out of his mind one day before he had to leave to wrestle at nationals.  College athletes aren't professionals, they're "student athletes", so they don't face the same kind of scrutiny really.  I'm sure guys have been juiced up or whatever but if you know when the drug test is that gives you options to cheat it.  Just don't use your girlfriend's urine because then the test might come back and say you're pregnant like some basketball player just did.  I would guess it's more of a problem at the upper weights than the lower weights, because if you combine the effects of taking steroids with weight cutting, you're really going to **** your body up badly and be dehydrated as hell and have nothing after the first 3 or 4 minutes. 

Trip, PEDs are prevalent at the lower weights of professional weight class sports. Weight class is not a deterrent. Some PEDs are taken precisely to offset the effects you talk about in your last sentence (re: having nothing after 3-4 mins). EPO, for example (see TJ Dillashaw from the UFC).

17 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Trip, PEDs are prevalent at the lower weights of professional weight class sports. Weight class is not a deterrent. Some PEDs are taken precisely to offset the effects you talk about in your last sentence (re: having nothing after 3-4 mins). EPO, for example (see TJ Dillashaw from the UFC).

I guess if you want to risk a heart attack by taking that stuff like EPO.  I would see steroids as being something that is more of an upper weight issue than something you'd find below 174 lbs.  We saw what happened when guys were taking creatine and cutting a lot, people died.  If a few people died from steroids and weight cutting, it would be pretty bad.  The things you can take that would offset those problems are expensive, so I don't think most college students would be able to afford designer drugs.  Steroids are readily available in a lot of places.  Getting other stuff that goes beyond that is more difficult and more expensive.  That's why I laugh at my friend who insists Cejudo was doping when he won his Olympic gold, because there's no way he would have been able to pay into the 6 figures to afford stuff that wouldn't show up on drug tests.  College kids aren't going to be able to pay tens of thousands of dollars for that stuff.  

The point of the thread is that testing is done rarely and haphazardly so you don’t need designer gear if you’re going to use. Anyway, I agree bulking steroids are much more likely to be used by heavier wrestlers but there is plenty of PEDs that can be used by lightweights too. 

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Funny you bring up Dillashaw. The reason I started this thread was because I saw 2 guys (both of whom won NCAA titles last year and one of whom is back next year) post pics of themselves on Instagram working out with the guy who treigned (misspelling intentional) Dillashaw leading up to his failed EPO test. The guy mostly trains MMA fighters but I know at least one other senior level wrestler who works out there. 

Edited by MDogg

We know that PEDs were pervasive in bike racing that those guys weigh very little and have no bulk. It's just different PEDs that a football lineman might use. Not saying PEDs are not used in wrestling--  I don't know-- but being a lightweight does not preclude PEDs.

That said, a lot of Olympians have been caught juicing, mostly in upper weights, I think (e.g., Taymazov). 

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

I guess if you want to risk a heart attack by taking that stuff like EPO.  I would see steroids as being something that is more of an upper weight issue than something you'd find below 174 lbs.  We saw what happened when guys were taking creatine and cutting a lot, people died.  If a few people died from steroids and weight cutting, it would be pretty bad.  The things you can take that would offset those problems are expensive, so I don't think most college students would be able to afford designer drugs.  Steroids are readily available in a lot of places.  Getting other stuff that goes beyond that is more difficult and more expensive.  That's why I laugh at my friend who insists Cejudo was doping when he won his Olympic gold, because there's no way he would have been able to pay into the 6 figures to afford stuff that wouldn't show up on drug tests.  College kids aren't going to be able to pay tens of thousands of dollars for that stuff.  

Some PEDs are specifically designed to preserve muscle while weight cutting. This would be invaluable to lightweight wrestlers. Others help with weight loss (clen). Others help with cardio (EPO). College-aged kids are not the best at judging the risk of taking things - everyone thinks they're invincible in their teens and 20s.

As an aside, was creatine even a factor with those kids who died in the 90s? I thought it was only the dehydration?

30 minutes ago, fanta said:

What about the Minnesota wrestlers caught up with selling pills a couple years back. Did they ever test positive for a controlled substance?

From what I read they were selling just Xanax

Edited by MDogg