Jump to content
MDogg

PED Testing in NCAA

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

How long have they been testing the champions? Its kinda weird no one has ever been popped.

In my opinion it’s way beyond weird and way past suspicious. By this point someone should’ve at least unknowingly taken a banned substance and failed. Most guys who fail a drug test and use that excuse are lying, but some of them aren’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

How long have they been testing the champions? Its kinda weird no one has ever been popped.

I agree, but if they did pop, I think the NCAA would have no problem penalizing them.  Remember, they suspended Brian Bosworth, the most marketable football player of his generation, for a bowl game for testing positive.

My guess is that the NCAA drug test is more of an intelligence test than a drug test.  If a kid educates himself, and takes the right drugs at the right times, there's no way he fails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

I agree, but if they did pop, I think the NCAA would have no problem penalizing them.  Remember, they suspended Brian Bosworth, the most marketable football player of his generation, for a bowl game for testing positive.

My guess is that the NCAA drug test is more of an intelligence test than a drug test.  If a kid educates himself, and takes the right drugs at the right times, there's no way he fails.

The IQ test is an excellent point, but in contrast with the Bosworth point, I think its something more like, "wrestling doesn't produce enough revenue to justify the NCAA going all out on drug testing."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Some PEDs are specifically designed to preserve muscle while weight cutting. This would be invaluable to lightweight wrestlers. Others help with weight loss (clen). Others help with cardio (EPO). College-aged kids are not the best at judging the risk of taking things - everyone thinks they're invincible in their teens and 20s.

As an aside, was creatine even a factor with those kids who died in the 90s? I thought it was only the dehydration?

I don't think the average college wrestler is going to be able to afford stuff like that that isn't going to show up on a drug test.  Clen and EPO show up.  Designer PEDs that cost a lot and are made specifically to not show up on drug tests are beyond the reach of most college wrestlers.  Creatine was a factor in at least one of the guys who passed away in 97.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MDogg said:

In my opinion it’s way beyond weird and way past suspicious. By this point someone should’ve at least unknowingly taken a banned substance and failed. Most guys who fail a drug test and use that excuse are lying, but some of them aren’t.

I took them for years and I can tell you this - at least up until 2 years ago, ANYBODY who said they took a tainted supplement, bad meat, never knowingley take, etc. was lying their ass off. There does appear to be some science that a new Extenze or love drug MAY have something in it but not sure. These guys who swear they never took anything are a joke. I have more respect for the guy that admits it. 

And since only champions are tested and they know when the test is, they would have to be really stupid to be caught. It would be more amazing if they were caught. Too many conspiracy theories in the world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

The IQ test is an excellent point, but in contrast with the Bosworth point, I think its something more like, "wrestling doesn't produce enough revenue to justify the NCAA going all out on drug testing."

Absolutely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

I took them for years and I can tell you this - at least up until 2 years ago, ANYBODY who said they took a tainted supplement, bad meat, never knowingley take, etc. was lying their ass off. There does appear to be some science that a new Extenze or love drug MAY have something in it but not sure. These guys who swear they never took anything are a joke. I have more respect for the guy that admits it. 

And since only champions are tested and they know when the test is, they would have to be really stupid to be caught. It would be more amazing if they were caught. Too many conspiracy theories in the world. 

“They wouldn’t do that because it would be a stupid thing to do” isn’t an argument that holds up to scrutiny when it comes to athletes in their teens and twenties and drug tests. People fail drug tests they knew about in advance all the time. Someone fails the drug test at the NFL combine just about every year. The NFL also tests 10 players on each team every week and getting tested one week doesn’t lessen your odds of getting tested the following week. In other words, every player on an active roster has a roughly 20% chance of getting drug tested every week. How stupid would someone have to be to take that chance? Very stupid...yet people fail NFL drug tests all the time.

I totally agree that the vast majority of people are lying about accidentally failing a drug test. I wasn’t referring to the tainted meat or tainted supplement people...I was really referring to the people who don’t do enough research (or read the label closely enough) and take a supplement that contains a banned substance. I do believe that occasionally happens (emphasis on occasionally) because it’s not that difficult to do and there are a lot of dumb people out there. However, to reiterate I think l the vast, vast majority of people who use that excuse are lying. 

That brings me back to my main point...nobody has ever had to use any of those excuses in NCAA wrestling because nobody (to my knowledge) has ever gotten caught. I think everyone with any common sense agrees that means the testing system is a joke. They either don’t test enough or the tests are a total joke. Based on what people have shared on this thread I think it’s pretty obvious the answer is both. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Absolutely.

I don't think the NCAA goes "all out" with drug testing... period.  But it would make more sense to bust a guy in a non-revenue sport than a big star such as "Boz".

They aren't "looking for warts." Likely they want to say they test, and it isn't a comprehensive screening.  

Comprehensive testing is just too expensive.

Gimp says a couple guys may have failed in the past...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completely anecdotal, but my college roommate was an Iowa HS state champ in the 80's.  He went to Drake Univ on some scholarship money and was told he would be redshirted, while he bulked up.  He was a lightweight, btw. Steroids were procured for him and the other redshirts by the trainer.  He was friends with some very well-known wrestlers who went on to win NCAA titles at ISU, and they told him they had similar experiences as true freshman.  In other words, in the late '80's at least, steroid use was common, condoned, and facilitated by most schools, both powerhouses and others.  It was considered necessary to compete at that level, in most cases.  I think we've come a long way since then though, and I doubt steroid use is as common now, and seriously doubt the wrestling staff is involved, if it does happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only speak for one school's policy. I have no reason to believe their policy is inconsistent with the NCAA.  PED testing is random by rule and can be done throughout the year, but out of season testing is limited to football and basketball.  Recreational drug testing is also random and can be done only during season.  I have never heard of a PED failure, but most teams suspend at least one a year for weed or some other street drug.  Also, some teams ban alcohol and tobacco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve pissed for football players as an undergrad. Since I was a big heavyweight I just went in and took the test acting like I was them. I didn’t do any drugs or PEDs so I was a safe bet. The old cut plastic bottle with a duck taped bottom and baggy sweatpants worked wonders for a lot of the players too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dr. Novak said:

Some collegiate wrestlers have been comically juiced.  Lesner being exhibit A.

I honestly believe he wasn't.  Lesnar is a freakishly big human being.  I forget if it was J or somebody else but they said nobody believed he was clean and he was drug tested a lot since nobody really believed him and he passed every single one.  I think J didn't believe it either when he first saw him and only did when he passed the test.  After college though he definitely was.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 9:12 PM, tigerfan said:

Completely anecdotal, but my college roommate was an Iowa HS state champ in the 80's.  He went to Drake Univ on some scholarship money and was told he would be redshirted, while he bulked up.  He was a lightweight, btw. Steroids were procured for him and the other redshirts by the trainer.  He was friends with some very well-known wrestlers who went on to win NCAA titles at ISU, and they told him they had similar experiences as true freshman.  In other words, in the late '80's at least, steroid use was common, condoned, and facilitated by most schools, both powerhouses and others.  It was considered necessary to compete at that level, in most cases.  I think we've come a long way since then though, and I doubt steroid use is as common now, and seriously doubt the wrestling staff is involved, if it does happen.

Seems about right.

For comparison: 

sheets match starts at 1:22~

Edited by jackwebster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can tell you from experience that testing is predictable and pretty much just allows the NCAA to say they are doing it for publicity purposes. It would be incredibly expensive to do it in ways that would really catch people who do use prohibited substances.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 10:42 AM, NJDan said:

We know that PEDs were pervasive in bike racing that those guys weigh very little and have no bulk. It's just different PEDs that a football lineman might use. Not saying PEDs are not used in wrestling--  I don't know-- but being a lightweight does not preclude PEDs.

That said, a lot of Olympians have been caught juicing, mostly in upper weights, I think (e.g., Taymazov). 

 

Cyclists take it to a whole other level most hardcore of the hardcore PED use there is. We are talking blood dopeing transfusions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...