Sign in to follow this  
sidakova4991

Greco Roman Predictions at the Worlds?

Seeing as Greco isn't as popular as freestyle internationally - especially on this site - I thought it would be cool to create a prediction thread for the Greco fans here; I honestly don't pay as much attention to Greco as I do with freestyle, but I still do know some of the top Greco guys. 

I hope Russia can have a repeat year like they had in 2018.  We had Emelin, Maryanyan, Surkov, Chekhirkhin, Evloev and Semenov getting gold.  But with Stabler at 67 for the Olympics, I don't see Surkov getting gold, sadly.  I am not entirely sure about the 60kg class with Emelin and Maryanyan now - I think Maryanyan will get the shot, for he won the European games gold.  

I am looking forward to see what happens at 77kg.  Roman Vlasov (2x Olympic champon, Akzhol Makhmudov (first world championships - Asian champion/Asian games silver medalist.), Iran always have good Greco wrestlers and Kim Hyeon Woo.  A very strong weight division. 

I don't know about the other divisions, but will watch regardless.  I expect Kayaalp to get another gold at 130kg.

Well, I have no clue about how other countries will do, I can only hope that we will do well. But after saying that, I think the guy with the best chance for us is Big Adam Coon, since he is the returning Silver Medalist. 

greco is the most popular style internationally...

coon had a dream draw and din't wrestle anyone until the finals... we saw how that went... we also saw what happened when he met a former world medalist at pan ams...

hafisov has a legit chance to medal...

bunker has looked really good...

pat smith has an outside chance...

hancock is almost a medal lock based on how he has been wrestling this season...

pulling hard for stefanowicz, but, probably a long shot... 

Edited by LJB

6 hours ago, Peso said:

I'm stunned greco is the most popular international style.  I would have lost everything I own on that bet.

Many countries bill it as the original style and statistically speaking it has always gotten the most entries at worlds and the large international events.

Germany has his best greco team in a few years. I hope we can at least win 3 Medals. 

57kg Fabian Schmitt won bronze at the European Games but due to a good draw he came into the match for bronze with 0-1. 

60kg Etienne Kinsinger, well got nothing to say about him besides he is very solid. 

67kg Frank Stäbler hopefully will win his 4th World Title and the Olympics afterwards. 

72kg Michael Widmayer is a young guy, it's his first Worldchampionship but he has good results and trains very very much, with a good draw and a non Olympic weightclass he can win bronze. 

77kg Roland Schwarz, also a young guy, son of famous Russian wrestler Islam Dugutschijew, he won second at Europeans and all of his matches were pretty awesome and solid besides of his final against Vlasow, but again he is only 22. 

82kg Pascal Eisele, well Pascal won the Europeans in 2016 and bronce at world's in 2017, his last tournaments weren't the best we saw from him, but I think he still can win a medal. 

87kg Denis Kudla, Kudla the only guy on the team with an Olympic medal, he won bronce in 2016 Rio and silver at world's 2017, this year at the Europeans he lost razor-sharp against Abbasov from Aze but fought against absolute beasts in the repechage like Dawit Tschakwetadse and Maksim Manukjan to win the bronce medal and I think he will win a medal again. 

97kg Peter Öhler looked good at the grand prix of Germany and it seems he overcame his injuries and I'm a bit curious about him, he always seems like a medal threat but ends up injuring himself, like last year world's he injured his elbow against Venezuela and lost. 

130kg Eduard Popp finally deserves a medal, he always ends up getting 5th place but a good draw like last year he won't get this year, but I hope he proves me wrong. 

8/10 of Iran's GR team will be making their senior worlds debut - 4/10 are from the juniors team from last year. So a very young team, don't expect too much.

Best chances for a medal for Iran are probably Geraei at 77kg and Abdevali at 82kg.

Very interested to see how Kavianinejad at 72kg does (he is a 2x junior world champ and we are very excited to see what he can do in the senior ranks). Nasserpour at 55kg is also a junior world champ that could impress. Taheri at 87kg and Saravi at 97kg are also names to look out for. 

Edited by The Genius

On 8/21/2019 at 6:23 PM, sidakova4991 said:

Seeing as Greco isn't as popular as freestyle internationally - especially on this site - I thought it would be cool to create a prediction thread for the Greco fans here; I honestly don't pay as much attention to Greco as I do with freestyle, but I still do know some of the top Greco guys. 

I hope Russia can have a repeat year like they had in 2018.  We had Emelin, Maryanyan, Surkov, Chekhirkhin, Evloev and Semenov getting gold.  But with Stabler at 67 for the Olympics, I don't see Surkov getting gold, sadly.  I am not entirely sure about the 60kg class with Emelin and Maryanyan now - I think Maryanyan will get the shot, for he won the European games gold.  

I am looking forward to see what happens at 77kg.  Roman Vlasov (2x Olympic champon, Akzhol Makhmudov (first world championships - Asian champion/Asian games silver medalist.), Iran always have good Greco wrestlers and Kim Hyeon Woo.  A very strong weight division. 

I don't know about the other divisions, but will watch regardless.  I expect Kayaalp to get another gold at 130kg.

Nice OP.

Very well then, I'll start off by predicting 130 and 97 in this post. I'll get back to the other weight classes.   :D

130:  I'll go out on a limb and pick World #1 Semenov (RUS). This guy can launch anyone.

97: I'll go out on a limb and pick World #3 Hancock (USA). If Tracy gets on a roll he can win it.

(I have been critical of Tracy's poor sportsmanship with UWW officials in the past, but would just love to see this kid show 100% sportsmanship at Worlds, win or lose. Let the coaches handle any controversy. Would look great in eyes of UWW and possibly IOC, IMO.)    

On 8/21/2019 at 6:23 PM, sidakova4991 said:

Alright, so according the entry list, Russia will have Kabaloev at 55, Emelin back at 60 and Maryanyan at 63. I like all three to win gold. Looks like Russia has a good chance to just destroy the world in Greco this year. (I know, they're the heavy favorites anyway.)

Back to my Greco picks, and so far I have:

55 Kaboloev (RUS).....looks like Japan isn't entering Katagiri (injured or just got beat?) thought he'd be a highlight reel at Worlds and possible sleeper to win

60 Emelin (RUS)

63 Maryanyan (RUS).........

.....will get back to these middle weight classes......... 

97 Hancock (USA)

130 Semenov (RUS)

12 hours ago, 2td3nf said:

Alright, so according the entry list, Russia will have Kabaloev at 55, Emelin back at 60 and Maryanyan at 63. I like all three to win gold. Looks like Russia has a good chance to just destroy the world in Greco this year. (I know, they're the heavy favorites anyway.)

Back to my Greco picks, and so far I have:

55 Kaboloev (RUS).....looks like Japan isn't entering Katagiri (injured or just got beat?) thought he'd be a highlight reel at Worlds and possible sleeper to win

60 Emelin (RUS)

63 Maryanyan (RUS).........

.....will get back to these middle weight classes......... 

97 Hancock (USA)

130 Semenov (RUS)

No disrespect for Hancock, but you really have enough faith in him to beat Evloev and Aleksanyan?  A win is a win, but he only pinned Aleksanyan because he was badly injured going into the tournament before.  I honestly don't see Hancock beating Evloev right now either.  He can get a bronze, but a gold is asking for too much in my opinion - same story with Semenov; unless Kayaalp gets beat by Nabi again lol (which I do hope happens).  

14 minutes ago, sidakova4991 said:

No disrespect for Hancock, but you really have enough faith in him to beat Evloev and Aleksanyan?  A win is a win, but he only pinned Aleksanyan because he was badly injured going into the tournament before.  I honestly don't see Hancock beating Evloev right now either.  He can get a bronze, but a gold is asking for too much in my opinion - same story with Semenov; unless Kayaalp gets beat by Nabi again lol (which I do hope happens).  

You’re right, Hancock is obviously not the favorite but it is my one homer Greco pick. Hoping he gets hot at the right time and really hoping he shows good sportsmanship, win or lose. (We want to stay in Olympics and we want our 10 weight classes back so we don’t need any eye sores at Worlds this year.).        And oh yeah, Semenov is my pick to repeat a World gold. I think he’ll beat Kaylaap and Nabi handily this year.

15 minutes ago, 2td3nf said:

You’re right, Hancock is obviously not the favorite but it is my one homer Greco pick. Hoping he gets hot at the right time and really hoping he shows good sportsmanship, win or lose. (We want to stay in Olympics and we want our 10 weight classes back so we don’t need any eye sores at Worlds this year.).        And oh yeah, Semenov is my pick to repeat a World gold. I think he’ll beat Kaylaap and Nabi handily this year.

I am interested to see how Pat Smith performs.  Although Kamal Bey is still inexperienced at the senior level internationally, he is still a good win - despite being a hot-head lol.  I don't think Smith with get a medal, but he should beat some of the weaker guys, before running into Georgians, Kazakhs and Russians etc.  I think most of the USA has the same problem; beating weaker Greco countries before running into those who actually care for Greco.  

On 9/10/2019 at 12:18 PM, sidakova4991 said:

I am interested to see how Pat Smith performs.  Although Kamal Bey is still inexperienced at the senior level internationally, he is still a good win - despite being a hot-head lol.  I don't think Smith with get a medal, but he should beat some of the weaker guys, before running into Georgians, Kazakhs and Russians etc.  I think most of the USA has the same problem; beating weaker Greco countries before running into those who actually care for Greco.  

Yeah I don’t understand why we are still so bad, but we will see. Things have been improving. Hoping for 2 medals this year. I think we have 4 guys who can medal, so 2 seems reasonable

On 8/22/2019 at 3:23 AM, sidakova4991 said:

Greco isn't as popular as freestyle internationally.....ahahahhahaha 

On 8/22/2019 at 3:23 AM, sidakova4991 said:

думай что пишешь))))))))) гречка всегда была, есть и будет популярна в Европе и России чем вольная 

35 minutes ago, Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin said:

думай что пишешь))))))))) гречка всегда была, есть и будет популярна в Европе и России чем вольная 

Ok, you're right, but freestyle seems like a bigger event.  More stars, more excitement etc.  I lied, greco is nice, but freestyle seems to have more hype, and people here care more about it