NJDan

All these People Who Say Greco is Popular

I have seen many statements on this board claiming that Greco is the most popular style internationally. Since its soooo boring, I find that claim hard to believe. Does it come out of a greco heavyweight's derriere or is there something to it? Does anyone have any data?

45 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I have seen many statements on this board claiming that Greco is the most popular style internationally. Since its soooo boring, I find that claim hard to believe. Does it come out of a greco heavyweight's derriere or is there something to it? Does anyone have any data?

I think your perspective is skewed by being from the US. There are several countries where Greco is wrestled almost exclusively (the Scandinavian countries for example). It doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with excitement. This is pure speculation on my part, but I bet some of it might have to do with Greco being closer to some countries' traditional folk styles. I think it greatly depends on where you were born. If you were born in Sweden, you'd probably question why the US loves freestyle so much when Greco is clearly the superior style.

Everybody seems to be defining “popularity” as the number of athletes who participate in one annual tournament. Does anyone have stats on the number of people who watch/stream the greco world finals vs freestyle world finals? Not a Socratic question...I’ve never seen the numbers and don’t know how to look them up. 

Just because a few sparsely populated countries send more guys to worlds in greco than in freestyle doesn’t mean it’s more popular. Senior level participation in a non-revenue sport is not a proxy for true global popularity. If the USA has 20 guys trying for the freestyle 74kg senior team spot, but 2 small Scandinavian countries each have 3 guys going for their 74kg Greco spot...does that mean Greco is more popular globally?

Edited by MDogg

it doesn't matter what anyone says on this forum... or what the numbers at worlds say... or what those who have been overseas has actually personally witnessed...

avergae is as average does... there is no help for them...  

2 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Neither is internet popularity. Not everyone watches streams like we do here. The United States is likely to have enough numbers on its own to skew things enough to make a big difference

I said “watch/stream” so as to include all forms of viewship, TV included. I’m pretty sure UWW knows how much their respective world finals matches are consumed globally, regardless of format. It’s not like nobody had any idea how many people watched some given sporting event on television before streaming came along. 

Every set of eyeballs counts the same to me. If, for example (and I’m using totally arbitrary numbers here), there are 30 million people who watch one sport spread across 25 countries vs 15 million people who watch another sport spread across 30 countries...then in my opinion the former sport is more popular than the latter. 

26 minutes ago, MDogg said:

I said “watch/stream” so as to include all forms of viewship, TV included. I’m pretty sure UWW knows how much their respective world finals matches are consumed globally, regardless of format. It’s not like nobody had any idea how many people watched some given sporting event on television before streaming came along. 

Every set of eyeballs counts the same to me. If, for example (and I’m using totally arbitrary numbers here), there are 30 million people who watch one sport spread across 25 countries vs 15 million people who watch another sport spread across 30 countries...then in my opinion the former sport is more popular than the latter. 

My point is more that in America we go to matches and watch them on flo or track our YouTube besides. In many other countries they only go to them. Our eyes would count for more. And that there's probably no good way to determine. 

29 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

My point is more that in America we go to matches and watch them on flo or track our YouTube besides. In many other countries they only go to them. Our eyes would count for more. And that there's probably no good way to determine. 

So never mind if next month 50,000 more people watch the freestyle finals online or on TV...if more of the local residents of Nur-Saltan, Kazakhstan attend the Greco finals then it’s the more popular style globally?

Edited by MDogg

2 minutes ago, MDogg said:

So never mind if next month 50,000 more people watch the freestyle finals online or on TV...if more of the local residents of Nur-Saltan, Kazakhstan attend the Greco finals then it’s the more popular style globally?

That's not at all what I said and you know it..

10 minutes ago, MDogg said:

greco is the most popular style worldwide because more people participate in it across the planet...

just accept it and move on... you will be happier...

and don't worry, greco doesn't need you to watch... it will be just fine

4 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

That's not at all what I said and you know it..

Perhaps the numbers behind that example took it too far but directionally that’s how I understood what you said. If Americans watch wrestling more online and on TV vs others who tend to only watch it live so “that’s...no good way to determine it”...then the implication was clearly that live attendance needs to factor in more than other consumers (like people who stream the matches).

We don’t have that many marquee international freestyle and Greco wrestling events and the biggest ones move around (world championships, World Cup, Olympics) ...so to me it seems flawed to disproportionately factor in the size of the live audience. 

without looking up any numbers, I'd guess there are more total freestyle wrestling fans in India than there are greco-roman fans in the world combined, and more money being spent on freestyle wrestling in the USA than there is money spent on greco-roman wrestling in the world combined. it's probably orders magnitude larger in both cases. 

absolutely nothing against greco. it's got plenty to recommend and the passion greco wrestlers and their fans show is enviable. i would be very happy to see it grow in popularity and be as big or bigger than freestyle, I just don't see that being the case now. 

Just now, Jaroslav Hasek said:

you mean in the world championships? where it's one participant per weight per country? or do you mean participants total world wide?

Yes

lol it wasn't a yes or no question. 

but, if I understand your question, the reason freestyle is more popular despite greco having more participants at the world championships than freestyle because it's one participant per country. the nordic and baltic countries have wrestlers in greco (though not full lineups, for the most part) in greco but none in freestyle. meanwhile there are more total freestyle participants in the USA than there are total greco participants in all of western europe, even though there is only one American freestyle participant at worlds, whereas western euorpe might have 20 greco wrestlers in any given weight class. 

figured that was obvious so apologies if this was common knowledge for everyone and I just misunderstood the question.