Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

Coon

I don't think anything really changed.  Coon was ready to go from day 1, he just ran out of steam a bit at the end of his freshman year, and guys figured out how to wrestle him better.  Didn't he start the year like 20-0?  

Dropping a close one to Telford and then losing R12 to a quality guy (and senior) Jeremy Johnson... no shame in that.  Could have happened to anyone in the bracket.  

Agree, he was a freshman in a very deep field.  At the B1G Tens he lost to Gingrich and Tavanello but qualified by finishing 9th.  At  NCAA's he didn't place  in a field with Gwiz, Nelson, McMullen, Telford, McClure, Chalfant, Johnson, and Marsden.  He lost to Telford and Johnson.

The following year when he was runner-up he had a 2-1 victory in the qtrs and a SV in the semi's. 

Edited by jammen
simultaneous postings

He went nuts to start the year. I'm not even sure he auto-qualified. He was seeded high at B1Gs then $HlT the bed from there.

Not many recall, but he did beat Gwiz early in the year.

McClure basically big brothered him. After that hisngrit faded. A long, full season for a true-frosh 

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/14123/coon-adam/profile

45 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He went nuts to start the year. I'm not even sure he auto-qualified. He was seeded high at B1Gs then $HlT the bed from there.

McClure basically big brothered him. After that hisngrit faded. A long, full season for a true-frosh 

Yeah he was 29-1 entering Big Ten’s his frosh year and ranked top 3 with wins over Gwiz, Tony Nelson, and Bobby Telford twice. He then ran out of steam and had a terrible Big Ten’s and lost in the round of 12 at NCAA’s. 

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Huh?

Saying there are guys who also DNP as freshmen that ended up with even better overall results than Coon. So while as original post stated hard to wrap head around, aint like it never happened before either. 

5 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

Saying there are guys who also DNP as freshmen that ended up with even better overall results than Coon. So while as original post stated hard to wrap head around, aint like it never happened before either. 

Who else? Who else placed 2/3rd the remainder of their career after DNP their frosh year?

Era where Frosh weren't allowed to wrestle don't count.

And older school 3x champs in 80s who wrestled as freshmen but DNP (albeit wrestle back rules different in some cases where a guy might have been 1 and done but not all went out like that)

39 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

And older school 3x champs in 80s who wrestled as freshmen but DNP (albeit wrestle back rules different in some cases where a guy might have been 1 and done but not all went out like that)

I asked who, not a generic response.

You said it as if you knew who and knew it as fact.

I cannot think of a single one who DNP(after qualifying) yet went on to be a 3x top 3.

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I cannot think of a single one who DNP(after qualifying) yet went on to be a 3x top 3.

Nate Carr. Did not place his freshman year and won three titles.

16 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Jordan Burroughs DNP 3-1-1

Kerry McCoy DNP 1-3-1

TJ Jaworsky  DNP 1-1-1

Ricky Bonomo DNP 1-1-1

John Smith DNP 2-1-1

Mark Schultz DNP 1-1-1

Nate Carr DNP 1-1-1

Edited by KTG119

56 minutes ago, MikePorcelli said:

Nate Carr. Did not place his freshman year and won three titles.

43 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

Jordan Burroughs DNP 3-1-1

Kerry McCoy DNP 1-3-1

TJ Jaworsky  DNP 1-1-1

Ricky Bonomo DNP 1-1-1

John Smith DNP 2-1-1

Mark Schultz DNP 1-1-1

Nate Carr DNP 1-1-1

Fair enough gents. I guess I had it in my head for 'non-champs' only. My initial response said 2nd/3rd after DNP.

The list you gave are all serious All Time Great natty champs. Coon, while an amazing talent, was never the #1 at his weight. I was curious who else had that career.

Chris Pendleton DNP-3-1-1

Chris Perry DNP-3-1-1

Tony Ramos DNP-3-2-1

Zack Esposito DNP-2-1-3

Prospect: Nick Suriano DNP-2-1-???

Prospect: Seth Gross DNP-2-1-???

Honorable mention: Bubba Jenkins DNP-2-DNP-1

Edited by jon

2 hours ago, jon said:

Chris Perry DNP-3-1-1

Tony Ramos DNP-3-2-1

Prospect: Nick Suriano DNP-2-1-???

Honorable mention: Bubba Jenkins DNP-2-DNP-1

Some Lehigh guys

Mark Lieberman DNP - 2 -1 -1

Mike Frick DNP - 4 - 1 -1

Colin Kilrain DNP - 3- 3 - 3

Pete Yozzo DNP - 3 - 2 - 1

Robert Hamlin DNP - 2 - 4 - 2

Edited by lu1979

This has turned into an interesting topic. 

It also brings back around just how hard it is to be a 4xer.  When you consider the list if three time finalists, or even champs it just brings to light how elusive that number 4 is. 

1 hour ago, scramble said:

This has turned into an interesting topic. 

It also brings back around just how hard it is to be a 4xer.  When you consider the list if three time finalists, or even champs it just brings to light how elusive that number 4 is. 

Agreed.

I am more interested in seeing the non-champs 3 time top 3 fellas.  You don't hear much about tham.  Kilrain of Lehigh is a great example. You hear about champs all the time.

This thread has taught me that three time placers are not as good as 4xers and 2xers are better than those who've placed one.

Thank you.  

Edited by stp

40 minutes ago, Alwayswrestling said:

Bart Chelsvig DNP 3 3 3

Jimmy Jackson DNP 1 1 1

Lou Banach DNP 1 3 1

Did those Iowa guys qualify as freshmen?

Couple other Iowa greats who DNP as freshmen, in their cases cause they did not start:

Terry Brands non starter 1-2-1

Chad  Zaputil non starter 2-2-2

Think Steve Martin kept both those guys out of post season line-ups

On 8/23/2019 at 4:02 PM, nhs67 said:

And I would think that was a particularly long full season for a true frosh who was having his first taste of being a dean's list aerospace engineering major at Michigan, which probably contributed to him wearing down at the end.