Sign in to follow this  
Bearcat09

Dake

People always focus on Dake's 4 titles in 4 weights, but another fun fact is Dake has wins over 3 US World Champions (Taylor, J'Den and Burroughs).  I have to imagine this is pretty rare (mostly because I don't think the US ever had so many World Champions at the same time and similar sizes.  Burroughs never wrestled J'Den right?  I'd have to imagine Dake has one of the most impressive onshore win resumes - I put some of the more notable ones below.  Who else am I missing?

·         J’den (world champ)

·         Burroughs (world champ)

·         Taylor (world champ)

·         Reece Humphrey (3x world team member)

·         Molinaro (5th Olympics)

·         Dieringer (3x NCAA champ)

·         Imar (2x NCAA Champ)

·         Andrew Howe (NCAA champ)

·         Derek St John (NCAA Champ)

·         Montell Marion (2x NCAA finalist)

Just because he took 1 match from 

J’Den and Burroughs he didn’t win the series

doesn't impress me as much as Burroughs and 

as of today J’Den.  Still Dake is great but 

international he doesn’t have the best

Resume

mostly because he hasn’t been on the world 

team 

Edited by CaliWrestler

47 minutes ago, CaliWrestler said:

Just because he took 1 match from 

J’Den and Burroughs he didn’t win the series

doesn't impress me as much as Burroughs and 

as of today J’Den.  Still Dake is great but 

international he doesn’t have the best

Resume

mostly because he hasn’t been on the world 

team 

You are either trolling us or you have been living under a rock.  Dake won the world championships last year.  

Don't forget that internationally Dake has wins over Tsargush, Hasanov, and a bunch of others.  

11 minutes ago, Glane18 said:

You are either trolling us or you have been living under a rock.  Dake won the world championships last year.  

Don't forget that internationally Dake has wins over Tsargush, Hasanov, and a bunch of others.  

As far as I can tell, here are the senior-level freestyle tournaments he's won since moving on from NCAA wrestling in 2013:

• 2014 Granma Cup
  • 2017 Grand Prix of Paris
  • 2018 Yasar Dogu
  • 2018 Worlds
  • 2019 Grand Prix of Spain

This is a much better freestyle resume than 99.999% of people could hope for.

But, it just happens to not be better than JB's freestyle resume. No shame there.

Edited by Katie

13 minutes ago, Glane18 said:

I think he was meaning compared to the two individuals he listed.  And he hadn't made a world team because of...the two individuals he listed. The two listed have a combined five more world championships and 9 more world medals.

As far as his comment about taking one match in a series, as if it doesn't count or something, that's all the OP's parameter was. A win over the following guys...... he didn't bring up the multiple losses to those two but he also didn't bring up the multiple wins over others....just A win.

Edited by Lurker

Dake's pretty darn good.  We've known that for a long time.  I'm glad he's finally get opportunities to prove it.  Dake also has very notable wins over international guys but domestically, maybe Howe and Valencia could make your list.  Still love the match where he spiked Imar.

J'den and JB have wrestled (not sure to what extent) at world team camps but no official matches that I know of.

50 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Montell Marion lost a lot of matches in his college career. He doesn't really belong in the same conversation as the others. 

Marion clutch at NCAA tourney, a bona fide challenge for true-freshman Dake.

Edited by jon

39 minutes ago, jon said:

Marion clutch at NCAA tourney, a bona fide challenge for true-freshman Dake.

A real challenge would have been a stud upper class wrestler. Not sure 8 losses that year put Montell in that class. But it's all opinion. 

1 hour ago, Katie said:

As far as I can tell, here are the senior-level freestyle tournaments he's won since moving on from NCAA wrestling in 2013:

• 2014 Granma Cup
  • 2018 Yasar Dogu
  • 2018 Worlds

But, it just happens to not be better than JB's freestyle resume. No shame there.

I'm not sure there's an American that can top JB's resume, when you consider Olympic boycotts and the breakup of the Soviet Union.  Not to mention the repechage system.

Not to start a forum war, and John Smith was my hero growing up, but JB's resume seems just as good.  If he medals this year and next, I think he's the GOAT.

Unfortunately, we'll never how good Dake would have been from 2013-2017, but I think he'll still be remembered as a legend.

1 hour ago, misterc said:

Dake's pretty darn good.  We've known that for a long time.  I'm glad he's finally get opportunities to prove it.  Dake also has very notable wins over international guys but domestically, maybe Howe and Valencia could make your list.  Still love the match where he spiked Imar.

J'den and JB have wrestled (not sure to what extent) at world team camps but no official matches that I know of.

Howe's collegiate career doesn't always get the respect I think it deserves, and he was an awesome freestyler as well.  That OT loss to Dake in 2013 was an incredible match.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Montell Marion lost a lot of matches in his college career. He doesn't really belong in the same conversation as the others. 

He'd back his way into NCAAs, then go on an absolute tear.

He and Brands must have had some epic clashes in the room.

21 minutes ago, whaletail said:

I'm not sure there's an American that can top JB's resume, when you consider Olympic boycotts and the breakup of the Soviet Union.  Not to mention the repechage system.

Not to start a forum war, and John Smith was my hero growing up, but JB's resume seems just as good.  If he medals this year and next, I think he's the GOAT.

Unfortunately, we'll never how good Dake would have been from 2013-2017, but I think he'll still be remembered as a legend.

What about Big Bruce?

Of course we know how good Dake was from 2013-2017, he won the Granma Cup and the Grand Prix of Paris.

3 hours ago, Glane18 said:

Tsargush is big win

Hasanov to me is not that great JB has beat him DT has beat him, he’s not the best guy in the bunch 

Besides Gaz the weight class weak. 

Troll or living under rock nope just living in real world 

2 hours ago, whaletail said:

He'd back his way into NCAAs, then go on an absolute tear.

He and Brands must have had some epic clashes in the room.

His Big Ten brackets were brutal. Kellen Russel, Michael Thorn, Jimmy Kennedy, Andrew Alton, Reece Humphrey to name a few. I recall several matches that could have went either way, depending  upon the ref's judgement calls.

5 hours ago, Katie said:

• 2014 Granma Cup
  • 2018 Yasar Dogu
  • 2018 Worlds

Or Kyle’s.

I knew Cornell had something special when Dake hit that sweet shot to body lock to throw to beat All-American from MD (Krom I think) in his very first college wrestling match.  Crowd went nuts.

I was impressed Dake was in the lineup as a freshman.  I didn’t recall hearing all that much about him before that match.  

His wrestling has resulted in many more crowds going nuts (for or against).  Great for the sport.

22 hours ago, whaletail said:

Howe's collegiate career doesn't always get the respect I think it deserves, and he was an awesome freestyler as well.  That OT loss to Dake in 2013 was an incredible match.

The misdirection shot Dake hit in that match was epic. I still go back and watch it sometimes to see that takedown. As much as Dake can scramble with the scramblers, that match showed he can grind with the grinders. No one who’s watched the Howe match should have been surprised Ringer couldn’t out muscle him and was stopped by Dake’s underhook.

check out 7:28

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyv0cUq6s30

Dake is amazing and just happened to be behind JB. But his time has come. Barring injury or Mekhi Lewis surprising the hell out of everyone, I wager on Dake for 2020. I hope he not only wind world this year but does it in the same fashion as last year. .

1 hour ago, Alyosha said:

The misdirection shot Dake hit in that match was epic. I still go back and watch it sometimes to see that takedown. As much as Dake can scramble with the scramblers, that match showed he can grind with the grinders. No one who’s watched the Howe match should have been surprised Ringer couldn’t out muscle him and was stopped by Dake’s underhook.

check out 7:28

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyv0cUq6s30

Very true.  Howe was a tough, and strong as anyone in his weight, and maybe the toughest and strongest.  That he was so damn quick was equally nuts.

I got tired just watching him snap opponents down.

I remember Bader filmed Howe training in the OU room after a practice, and he went hard for 45 minutes, with basically no breaks.  After a full 2 hour practice.  I think he did something like 60 chin-ups in two minutes at the very end.

26 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

Dake is amazing and just happened to be behind JB. But his time has come. Barring injury or Mekhi Lewis surprising the hell out of everyone, I wager on Dake for 2020. I hope he not only wind world this year but does it in the same fashion as last year. .

If Lewis comes out of nowhere like Cox did at Trials in 2016, I'll be very nervous.

IIRC, everyone thought it was Dake vs. DT for the spot, and Cox may have even been a late addition .  I think he was the 9th seed (or thereabouts), and after he won his first two matches pretty handily, I knew it could be a long night for Dake.

IIRC, Dake had to come from behind to (controversially) beat Richard Perry in the quarters, and he looked so much smaller than even DT, let alone Perry and Cox, that I'm not sure he would've medaled in Rio anyway.

I don't think Lewis will have the size or strength advantage Cox had, but he beat a wily Abakarov in the Junior World finals last year, and it was like his 5th freestyle match ever.  He might very well be a complete prodigy, and watching him hip into Marinelli and Cenzo defending their attacks at NCAAs, I realized he could well be a 2020 threat.

Regardless, as much as I don't want to jump the gun, I think 74 kg is his weight after JB and Dake are gone.  I think he beats guys like Hall and Valencia pretty handily (assuming Hall can even make 74 kg. next quad), and maybe Imar as well.  Add his physical gifts to a mentality that I've heard is also next level, and his ceiling is ridiculously high.

Edited by whaletail