Which group do you think is most likely to produce the 57kg rep.
Group 1- nico megaludis, Daton fix 
Group 2- spencer lee, nashon garret 
Group 3- joe Colon, Thomas Gilman 
Neat post.
They all feel equal. But I'm a big Fix fan....

In order...
Fix- Current rep and improving.
Nico- solid and proven and is small enough to make the weight.

Gilman- Close to Fix and World Silver
Colon- World Bronze and legit can beat anyone, but a little concerned by the cut...

Lee- was great at cadets and juniors, but hasnt competed in freestyle in awhile, and there are some hammers. Im not confident enough in his takedown game to see him consistently scoring on the top guys.
Garret- has been on the shelf awhile, and the cut seems severe. He obviously has the talent but I think the hurdles will be too much.

2 minutes ago, freestyle_fan said:

Group#1 - Fix is going to medal this world's and will go directly into Semis (or is Quarters, i don't remember this exactly) in OTT next year!

If Fix medals in this years worlds he will go directly to the finals of the Olympic team trials for 57 kg.  If someone medals in a non Olympic weight (61, 70, 79, 92) they will get a pass to a semi final in an Olympic weight.

3 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

If Fix medals in this years worlds he will go directly to the finals of the Olympic team trials for 57 kg.  If someone medals in a non Olympic weight (61, 70, 79, 92) they will get a pass to a semi final in an Olympic weight.

Oh  I see..thanks! its bit confusing always..thanks for clarifying

6 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Doesn't this rule change to semis next year?

10 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

The below is copied from the USA WRESTLING  ATHLETE SELECTION PROCEDURES  2020 OLYMPIC GAMES  Men’s Freestyle  April 5, 2019 

2019 Senior World Championships  September 2019  Any  2019 Senior World  Championship Freestyle Medalist, at an Olympic weight, will  earn an automatic berth into the final wrestle‐off (i.e., Part Two, as described in detail  below) at the respective weight in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling. 

3 2019 Senior World Championships  September 2019  Any 2019 Senior World Championship Freestyle Medalist, at a non‐Olympic weight, will  earn an automatic berth into the semifinals (i.e., Part One, as described in detail below)  of  the  2020  U.S.  Olympic  Team  Trials  ‐ Wrestling  at  a  weight  category  immediately  adjacent (one weight category up or down) from their 2019 Senior World Championship  weight category.   2019 U23 World Champion 

I am attempting to insert a link to take you to the criteria:   https://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/team-usa/team-selection-criteria

I hope that works

26 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Not for Olympic weight winners (but I wish they were only given byes to the semis).  Since Zeke was coach, all medalists have been given byes to the next years Trial finals, but I'm not sure they handled 2015 medalists in non-Olympic weights in the 2016 Trials.  Wasn't Green a 2015 medalist at 70kg?  If so, did he obviously didn't get a bye to the 65 Olympic Trials finals.

1 minute ago, AZ_wrestling said:

Group 1. 

Suriano and Vito are both serious contenders for the 57 spot as well. It’s going to be a stacked weight come 2020. 

When was the last time Suriano wrestles a FS match?

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Beat the Streets, in May of this year. I would love to see him wrestle more FS, he could possibly be competitive with anyone in the world.

57 minutes ago, Lurker said:

BTS, no?

Regardless, even if he can, and is willing to make 57 kg., I don't see how he'll be anywhere near the top guys at next year's trials.  

Maybe I'm not giving him enough credit for the Colon win, but he didn't really do much, and Colon did nothing, leaving me wondering just how seriously Colon took the match.  I know these guys hate losing, but Colon didn't look like himself at all.  Reminded me of Colon beating Bonne earlier this year.

Yeah, he beat him, but how many would favor him over Bonne in a WV/Olympic medal match?

1 hour ago, RJChicago said:

Beat the Streets, in May of this year. I would love to see him wrestle more FS, he could possibly be competitive with anyone in the world.

Honestly, with his triceps tie offense, I think DeSanto might have a higher freestyle ceiling than Suriano, but guys like Micic and Fix would probably tech them both.

11 minutes ago, whaletail said:

BTS, no?

Regardless, even if he can, and is willing to make 57 kg., I don't see how he'll be anywhere near the top guys at next year's trials.  

Maybe I'm not giving him enough credit for the Colon win, but he didn't really do much, and Colon did nothing, leaving me wondering just how seriously Colon took the match.  I know these guys hate losing, but Colon didn't look like himself at all.  Reminded me of Colon beating Bonne earlier this year.

Yeah, he beat him, but how many would favor him over Bonne in a WV/Olympic medal match?

Fix had 16 minutes this season and could not take Suriano down. Colon could not take him down either. If Suriano wrestles next year he will be a tough out for anyone here or internationally. He has world class strength and defense. 

6 hours ago, whaletail said:

BTS, no?

See my RE-phrase. I don’t think Suriano beats any of the top guys in FS when there’s stakes. I could be wrong. I fully admit that. I just don’t see it. 

8 hours ago, Wrestlingbcpc said:

Fix had 16 minutes this season and could not take Suriano down. Colon could not take him down either. If Suriano wrestles next year he will be a tough out for anyone here or internationally. He has world class strength and defense. 

This. 

Reminds me of everyone predicting Colon to thrash him at BTS. When it was over, it conveniently became only an exhibition win not meaning much. Suriano will be a tough match for anyone next year, including Fix and Gilman. 

4 hours ago, AZ_wrestling said:

This. 

Reminds me of everyone predicting Colon to thrash him at BTS. When it was over, it conveniently became only an exhibition win not meaning much. Suriano will be a tough match for anyone next year, including Fix and Gilman. 

You may be right, but is Suriano even interested in competing at the senior level?

I was surprised he even wrestled at BTS, and when he didn't show up at WTTs, I assumed it wasn't really a priority.

Finally, as an aside, I won't be shocked at all if Vito ends up being our 57kg rep in Tokyo.

12 hours ago, Wrestlingbcpc said:

Did either really try?

In the dual, Micic scored pretty quickly on his only shot of the match, and while Suriano stays in great position, and has very good head/hands defense, neither Fix nor Colon really even attempted a shot.  I've rarely, if ever, seen Fix wrestle that conservatively, so maybe he really just couldn't get to his offense, but in the NCAA finals at least, his reticence felt strategic.

6 hours ago, whaletail said:

You may be right, but is Suriano even interested in competing at the senior level?

I was surprised he even wrestled at BTS, and when he didn't show up at WTTs, I assumed it wasn't really a priority.

Finally, as an aside, I won't be shocked at all if Vito ends up being our 57kg rep in Tokyo.

I think Vito is flying under the radar for most. Not sure why - he had a great college season last year and his performance at Juniors was impressive. That said, I don’t have him top 3 next year. Lee, Fix and Gilman are my choices. I expect Vito to be a 2021 threat.

9 minutes ago, AZ_wrestling said:

I think Vito is flying under the radar for most. Not sure why - he had a great college season last year and his performance at Juniors was impressive. That said, I don’t have him top 3 next year. Lee, Fix and Gilman are my choices. I expect Vito to be a 2021 threat.

I'm not sure he has the size to go with the three you mention, but like Micic, his technique is really elite, and although he still lost, I've never seen anyone score on Fix like he did at trials.  At least not since Micic beat Fix in two matches to make the 2016 Junior World Team.

Honestly, we probably shouldn't overlook Jack Mueller either.  He's always been a beast in par terre, and really good on his feet.