Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Why isn’t Spencer Lee taking an Olympic red shirt?

I have a few theories but does anyone know? My angle is that first of all I didn’t understand why he would have sat out this spring from freestyle because of Gilman. If he did it’s like he was penalized for going to Iowa and in any case it didn’t do the Hawkeye Wrestling Club any good. Second, he’s got a legitimate shot of making the team if he trains. I fully understand that Fix is the man of the hour but I just think Lee is that good. Third, there are only so many Olympics someone gets to go for and life has a way of throwing curve balls. Spencer more than anyone seems at risk of career ending injury so why not strike while the iron is hot? 

The obvious counters are 1) Iowa has a legit shot at the title and team comes first, 2) he could pull a Snyder and train for the Olympics while helping Iowa win NCAAs and/or 3) that personal thing he talked about during the season isn’t entirely over for him, whatever it was and he’s got priorities that are more important than wrestling (in which case all bets are off and we should wish him the very best).

Well my thought is this, Spencer was being hampered or troubled with something last year, I have no idea what it was but, I believe that he took the Spring and Summer off in order to recover from whatever the issue was. Now coming into this season I think Iowa is looking at the landscape and they believe that they have a chance to win the whole thing, and I think that Spencer also feels this way as well. I would think that Spencer is probably putting his loyalties to the school and his coaches in front of his personal interests. I have to think that Spencer is probably telling himself that he will just train both as the season progresses, and give it everything he's got afterwards. 

Next year I believe we will have the US Open in December and then the Olympic trials in early April. So I wonder if we see Spencer at the US Open as well as the Midlands. 

On 8/24/2019 at 4:14 PM, BigTimeFan said:

I have a few theories but does anyone know? My angle is that first of all I didn’t understand why he would have sat out this spring from freestyle because of Gilman. If he did it’s like he was penalized for going to Iowa and in any case it didn’t do the Hawkeye Wrestling Club any good. Second, he’s got a legitimate shot of making the team if he trains. I fully understand that Fix is the man of the hour but I just think Lee is that good. Third, there are only so many Olympics someone gets to go for and life has a way of throwing curve balls. Spencer more than anyone seems at risk of career ending injury so why not strike while the iron is hot? 

The obvious counters are 1) Iowa has a legit shot at the title and team comes first, 2) he could pull a Snyder and train for the Olympics while helping Iowa win NCAAs and/or 3) that personal thing he talked about during the season isn’t entirely over for him, whatever it was and he’s got priorities that are more important than wrestling (in which case all bets are off and we should wish him the very best).

He might do what Snyder did and compete in FS during the season.  But if he just wrestles his regular folkstyle season he can still have success in the Olympic trials.  Cox is the latest example in 2016 and there have been plenty of examples before that.  Just ask Kevin Jackson. He was a 3X Gold medalist who was lost the 96 Olympic team spot to a graduating senior.

On 8/29/2019 at 7:28 AM, Str8DBLZ said:

from my understanding Spencer will be pulling double duty and wrestling NCAA on a limited basis much like how Snyder did in the past.  

Any sources behind this?  I really hope you're right.  I want us to have our 100% best olympic team possible.  Spencer challenging at 57kg aids to that outcome.

3 hours ago, JBluegill133 said:

Spencer challenging at 57kg aids to that outcome.

That's true, don't forget that Nahshon is making the drop to 57kg for the trials and I think if his cut isn't tremendous and he's 100% that he gets the spot depending on what Fix does at worlds 

19 hours ago, Ragu said:

That's true, don't forget that Nahshon is making the drop to 57kg for the trials and I think if his cut isn't tremendous and he's 100% that he gets the spot depending on what Fix does at worlds 

I can get behind him being our guy at 57.  Two hour weigh-ins will be tough.  But who knows.  He has had the time to shrink his body. 

On 9/6/2019 at 12:17 PM, Ragu said:

Im so curious to see where Nashon is. At his best he could medal but last we saw him he still can has some major defensive holes. I think being back at Cornell for a little while will be great for him

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Im so curious to see where Nashon is. At his best he could medal but last we saw him he still can has some major defensive holes. I think being back at Cornell for a little while will be great for him

I’m interested in how that’s going with Vito there. 

15 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Before Colon medaled at worlds Nahshon blew through him in their 3rd Final-X match. At his best I think he could be a world champion

28 minutes ago, Ragu said:

Before Colon medaled at worlds Nahshon blew through him in their 3rd Final-X match. At his best I think he could be a world champion

Yup. Colon also took the first match. Colon has a completely different style too, plus he lost his team spot even with the bye to a guy that has never made a team. 

Garrett would still need to prove he has closed up some of those defensive holes. Winning 2/3 vs Colon is a good data point but I don’t think you could say with a high level of confidence Garrett would’ve medaled in 2018. Colon got a dream draw and took advantage. Props to him, but Garrett could’ve gone 0-1 or won gold...we just don’t know enough yet

Lee said it himself that hes not a fan of Olympic redshirts, but if the Brands felt it was in his best intrest, he'd take one. My guess is they are all in on trying to win ncaas, and feel that as long as Lee is healthy, he is good enough to make a run even with the college grind, based off goes with gilman.