Sign in to follow this  
Broomstick

Accept Yianni for what he is,

which is the next Dave Schultz with a realization of the salient characteristics at a younger age.  I get that Penn State fans don't want to let go of the idea that Zain can be the guy at this weight, but it's not like you don't have enough other young stars to satiate your wishes that the next world team star originate out of Happy Valley.  Just like "Bo is good at wrestling", Yianni operates on a level that we should all appreciate regardless of petty scholastic allegiances. 

Is there a choice not to accept Yianni for what (or who) he is? 

It reminds me of a conversation between a famous poet and a famous physicist.  The former says to the latter: "I've come to accept the universe." The latter replies: "You had better".

Fandom is a funny thing.  The mind actually believes that rooting for one individual or team will make a difference to the outcome.  The reality is: it doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

Unless perhaps you have 50,000 rabid and partisan fans egging someone on in the actual arena.  

Aside: I suspect Zain will have more fans "accepting" him on September 2nd than Yianni.  I doubt it will make much of a difference in terms of the outcome

7 hours ago, dmm53 said:

Is there a choice not to accept Yianni for what (or who) he is? 

It reminds me of a conversation between a famous poet and a famous physicist.  The former says to the latter: "I've come to accept the universe." The latter replies: "You had better".

Fandom is a funny thing.  The mind actually believes that rooting for one individual or team will make a difference to the outcome.  The reality is: it doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

Unless perhaps you have 50,000 rabid and partisan fans egging someone on in the actual arena.  

Aside: I suspect Zain will have more fans "accepting" him on September 2nd than Yianni.  I doubt it will make much of a difference in terms of the outcome

I’ve definitely willed my favorite wrestlers to victory with my psychic powers. 

14 hours ago, Broomstick said:

which is the next Dave Schultz with a realization of the salient characteristics at a younger age.  I get that Penn State fans don't want to let go of the idea that Zain can be the guy at this weight, but it's not like you don't have enough other young stars to satiate your wishes that the next world team star originate out of Happy Valley.  Just like "Bo is good at wrestling", Yianni operates on a level that we should all appreciate regardless of petty scholastic allegiances. 

My understanding is that Dave Schultz was a great wrestler, but also brutal to the point of sadism, a guy who would choke out practice partners for laughs. I don't see Yianni doing that or being able to do so. 

They are alike in their skill sets and their unimpressive (for wrestlers) physiques.

12 minutes ago, NJDan said:

My understanding is that Dave Schultz was a great wrestler, but also brutal to the point of sadism, a guy who would choke out practice partners for laughs. I don't see Yianni doing that or being able to do so. 

They are alike in their skill sets and their unimpressive (for wrestlers) physiques.

And their desire to study the way Russians, etc do things

Don't know if he will be another Dave Schultz. Would be nice to see. He's really good and having Zain in his weight can only help him as he moves forward.

Young, smiling and outgoing - a good thing for the PR guys to works with. Would be a dream along with Burroughs and Snyder - three very different types to market.