Sign in to follow this  
Katie

Brazilian wrestler Filipe Esteves

Esteves is a member of the Brazilian national wrestling team. However, according to reports, he isn't going to worlds next month because he couldn't afford to go (the Brazilian federation apparently isn't funded well). But he's still hoping to qualify for the Olympics.

Esteves is also an MMA fighter, and he won an MMA bout last weekend. Apparently, he donated his entire purse to his opponent because his opponent had traveled 35 hours by bus, had to pay $221 for the trip, and was set to make only $120.

Here's to hoping Esteves realizes his Olympic dream.

26 minutes ago, Katie said:

Esteves is a member of the Brazilian national wrestling team. However, according to reports, he isn't going to worlds next month because he couldn't afford to go (the Brazilian federation apparently isn't funded well). But he's still hoping to qualify for the Olympics.

Esteves is also an MMA fighter, and he won an MMA bout last weekend. Apparently, he donated his entire purse to his opponent because his opponent had traveled 35 hours by bus, had to pay $221 for the trip, and was set to make only $120.

Here's to hoping Esteves realizes his Olympic dream.

If anyone knows Esteves, contact him and let's set up a GoFund or something similar. I think that would be a good thing!

Just now, rod_frufit said:

If anyone knows Esteves, contact him and let's set up a GoFund or something similar. I think that would be a good thing!

And I will tell you, the head of their federation flies around the world like he is a Rockefeller. 

From the following article it sounds like it’s too late for this years worlds but Filipe and his teammate have set up a crowdsourcing site for future tournaments in an effort to qualify for the Olympics. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mmafighting.com/platform/amp/2019/8/21/20813726/filipe-esteves-wins-title-brazil-donates-purse-opponent-mma

It’s a shame that top athletes have this situation. I recall an interview with Mark Schultz where he said that Chris Campbell collected welfare while training toward winning his gold medal in worlds (or was it Mark himself, point is someone elite had to go on welfare, it’s sad)