Sign in to follow this  
RED

Yianni / Retherford....more

Okay, I read the arbitrator nullified the second match because the officials incorrectly allowed for the late challenge.  So if the challenge should not have been allowed, why didn't he award the match to Yianni instead of nullifying it.  Am I missing something?  Seems pretty obvious and straight forward to me...

Don’t know for sure, but the way the 2-2 made it to the board is also against procedure, so I don’t think they could rest on that score. And they’re not going to rescore the bout, so really the only options are throw out the match or result stays as is. 

1 hour ago, scribe said:

I think the arbitrator should also erase a bunch of tbar’s posts. 

I thought TBar did well.  Sure, he ignored the obvious and fundamental, but he covered every other possible angle with an astonishing amount of text , arcane rule regurgitation and passion.  It was like watching a Senate filibuster play out in vain.  Kudos to him!

2 hours ago, RED said:

Okay, I read the arbitrator nullified the second match because the officials incorrectly allowed for the late challenge.  So if the challenge should not have been allowed, why didn't he award the match to Yianni instead of nullifying it.  Am I missing something?  Seems pretty obvious and straight forward to me...

In short lawyers and arbitrators can’t change a score over actual match side officials but then can  nullify a match 

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

In short lawyers and arbitrators can’t change a score over actual match side officials but then can  nullify a match 

Only for special events governed by the USOC, as opposed to the specific sport’s governing body, i.e. USA Wrestling, in this case. 

19 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

the decision says that while it is within the arbitrator's authority to invalidate the challenge and revert the score to 8-6 he didn't think that was an appropriate solution. it was one of the alternative remedies sought by team yianni. 

Yianni explains it in his interview with track when he talks about in of the UWW articles of the rules.  He says something about how the match score can't be changed after the hand is raised.  So the challenge in arbitration was the brick throw thus nullifying the end result.  He then stayed that in the rulling they said rules were broken during the match but they weren't going to break anymore rules (i.e. switching the score and giving yianni the match).  So the second match was to be thrown out And rewrestled.  It's on track.  It's a long interviewi but it was good an interesting.