jerseywrestling

Who is the best NCAA DI wrestler to never win a title?

Depends on your criteria.  If we're taking into account international accomplishments, KJ and Zeke Jones are obvious choices.  But both of those guys were beaten soundly in their finals appearance.  

If we're talking about guys that were the best NCAA wrestlers (folkstyle only) to not win once... guys like Snyder, Palmer, Coon, McMullan, Jordan, Humphrey, Gilman, Marion come to mind, to name a few.  

Mike Mann deserves mention (I believe Lewboo when he still posted here might have said he was the guy). 2x runner-up including senior year where he beat 3x champ Ed Banach 3x times in regular season, only to lose 4-3 in NCAA finals.

Some others that come to mind beyond steamboat charlie's list: Zaputil, Trenge, Mcfarland.  

Edited by KTG119

I have to nominate Michigan's Bob Fehrs for consideration who lost in the finals 3 years in a row to Lehigh great Mike Caruso @ 123 lbs 65, 8-5, 66 9-6, and in 67 7-6.  They only had 3 bites at the apple back then.

Hazewinkel, I believe he finished 3rd 3x and was a runner up to Donahoe who he had majored in the Big 12 finals.  

Mike Zadick who finished 7th his senior year, that was hard to watch.

Mike Mena who was a 4x AA and barely lost to Guererro his senior year.  

2 hours ago, scribe said:

I feel like we’ve done this thread many times over the years. I wish I wasn’t too lazy and a little dumb to find those threads. I’d post some of those ideas in this thread and look pro

scribe, take another look at your username photo in the mirror  ... you will never 'look pro.'  ;)

50 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I thought for sure Nick Simmons would win one.  But Adam Coon is probably the best given who he lost to. 

Best top wrestler I ever saw and I too thought he'd win one.  He gets my vote for best wrestler to never make the finals.

Flo did a series a few years ago about the best to never win it from 2007-2017, based on points scored at NCAA's. The top 10 included,

1) Mike McMullan (56.5) 

2) Tyler Caldwell (55.5)

3) Dylan Ness (53.5)

4) Tyler Graff (49.5)

5) Mitchell Port (47.5)

6) Craig Brester (46.5)

7) Logan Storley  (47.5)

8) Nick Amuchastegui (45)

9) Robert Hamlin (44.5)

10) Montell Marion (44.5)

*I'm sure this listed has since changed, but these are some noteworthy entries.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6001283-the-best-to-never-win-a-title-top-10-of-last-10-years

Sam Hazewinkel hasn’t been mentioned yet...

3-3-3-2

132-10 career record.

Made the SF each year at NCAA. Only losses were to the eventual champs (6-3 to Powell, 3-1 to Dubuque, 2-1 to Dubuque, 3-1 SV to Donahoe)

Seeded 5-1-2-1 in his four years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rondo Fehlburg, BYU as a Senior.#1 and looking great. Knee got torn up and Doc said NO, you're out. He went on and took 5th.

Ben Ojai, BYU - kept running into an all time great named Stroble!

Mike Young - BYU...

I'm more up on WAC wrestlers from teh 60's and early 70's as back then was stuck in the area and tried to make the best of it.

17 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Sam Hazewinkel hasn’t been mentioned yet...

3-3-3-2

132-10 career record.

Made the SF each year at NCAA. Only losses were to the eventual champs (6-3 to Powell, 3-1 to Dubuque, 2-1 to Dubuque, 3-1 SV to Donahoe)

Seeded 5-1-2-1 in his four years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I mentioned him.