Sign in to follow this  
Idaho

Where does J Renteria Land Next?

Given the rumored nature of his exit (serious family health issues), I wouldn't be shocked to see him back at Iowa in a year if everything gets sorted out. He wouldn't have to deal with eligibility issues in that case, and I do think Iowa is where he's always wanted to be. I also wouldn't be shocked if he never ended up on a roster anywhere. Who knows?

12 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

Given the rumored nature of his exit (serious family health issues), I wouldn't be shocked to see him back at Iowa in a year if everything gets sorted out. He wouldn't have to deal with eligibility issues in that case, and I do think Iowa is where he's always wanted to be. I also wouldn't be shocked if he never ended up on a roster anywhere. Who knows?

If the rumors about his family health issues are true then I’d imagine it’s Northwestern or nowhere until/unless circumstances change. Iowa City is only 3 hours from Oak Park so if that’s too far from his family I don’t see how any other D1 program makes sense outside of Northwestern. No other major D1 program is within 2 hours of Oak Park (no offense Huskies). 

I agree that, given the circumstances, he’d likely be given special consideration when it comes to trying to wrestle for another school. He absolutely should. 

12 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

If he is getting beat by Desanto Murin Teasdale Lugo, that puts him 5th in line for 3 spots.

I doubt he is getting beat by murin at the very least 

2 hours ago, BLT said:

No, not even the same weight.

Interesting since Renteria was listed at 133 last year and that's where he was planning on staying and Teasdale is now listed as 133 on the current roster just released.

29 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Interesting since Renteria was listed at 133 last year and that's where he was planning on staying and Teasdale is now listed as 133 on the current roster just released.

Cut to 141 was gonna be hard for Renteria 133 wasn't a option.

The 11 seed had more losses than murin and carr at the 6 seed was a joke and highly discussed prior to the tournament. He also got beat by the 20 seed on the backside. Neither guy was particularly tough or highly touted

12 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

In limited time as a true freshman renteria beat all American Delvecchio 3 times before he missed weight for ncaas...I think he’s on a different level then murin 

Delvecchio was unseeded at NCAA's and placed as a result of a complete 3rd period meltdown from Desanto in the round of 12. Renteria also lost to Dylan Duncan and Mason Pengilly that year, both guys who didn't even sniff the podium that year. Delvecchio is the only quality guy Renteria has beaten at the college level and he was a 15ish ranked guy.

6 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

Delvecchio was unseeded at NCAA's and placed as a result of a complete 3rd period meltdown from Desanto in the round of 12. Renteria also lost to Dylan Duncan and Mason Pengilly that year, both guys who didn't even sniff the podium that year. Delvecchio is the only quality guy Renteria has beaten at the college level and he was a 15ish ranked guy.

pengilly literally lost in the blood round in the toughest weight last year.....

12 hours ago, Perry said:

The 11 seed had more losses than murin and carr at the 6 seed was a joke and highly discussed prior to the tournament. He also got beat by the 20 seed on the backside. Neither guy was particularly tough or highly touted

The 11 seed, Moran, beat Nick Lee earlier in the year and took a bunch of bad losses in November and December because he was struggling with his weight. He had wins over multiple all americans this year (McKee and Lee) and lost 7-6 in the R12 to McKee. That's a legit win for Murin.

Carr was a little overseeded but he was great all year. He just had a bad big tens. He was a consensus top 10 guy all year. Still a solid win for Murin.

You neglect to mention that that 20 seed was returning all american Chad Red, fresh off a finals appearance at big tens. Like Moran, he also took bad losses early in the year due to weight struggles, but was elite once he got his weight under control. Red is on track to be a 4x all american.

You shouldn't just look at seeds and records. You have to actually pay attention to who the guys are.

Just now, Antitroll2828 said:

Renteria lost to Duncan because he gassed out at the end ...which is how most his loses went that year 

So you're saying he lost because he scored fewer points?

4 hours ago, qc8223 said:

So you're saying he lost because he scored fewer points?

You bring up moran's bad losses as a weight cut issue then criticize someone else for saying the same about renteria? Seems like you're cherry picking facts when it's convenient and crapping on the same logic when it's not