Sign in to follow this  
gmdband

Oliver vs. Yanni at U.S. Open - What happened to Oliver?

I have always thought that Jordan Oliver is/was an incredible wrestler (although I hate his vast overabundance of tattoos).  I was in Las Vegas for the U.S. Open and was amazed at how Oliver just imploded during the 2nd round of the U.S. Open match.  Very few thought Yanni could win at the Open but tech-falling Oliver was totally unexpected.  I have never heard the final determination as to what caused Oliver to falter like that.  Did Oliver get injured, run out of gas, have a mental breakdown.....what?  Up until the 2nd round it was pretty even and most thought Oliver would win before the match.  Since Oliver and Yanni also were training partners, typically these matches are fairly close.  No one seems to have heard much from Oliver since the U.S. Open and I since read that he left the training facility where he trained with Yanni.  Anyone with any inside info?

The match was close until it wasn't.  Oliver was not making excuses.

It seems like JO was hurt according to side-chatter in Nick Heflin's tweet about wrestling with a broken right hand.  

JO has said publicly that he will be back. 

Looks like he's still tough.

Edited by jross
added recent information about going for gold

I don’t know, but the cartilage reason makes sense. 

I honestly don’t want him as our rep. As good as he is (he is move for move right there with the best), worlds requires that grit and fight throughout. This weight has 3-4 world golds competing this year and something like 8 guys who are returning medalists. Even the most technical guy in the world would struggle against this field without that “it” factor.

One reason I always admired Jordan Oliver is that I have talked to guys who knew and trained with him at Oklahoma State.  They would tell you stories that he was one of the most amazing wrestlers you ever saw.   He would have easily been a 3X NCAA champ if he hadn't gotten totally screwed by the idiot who ref'd his NCAA final with Logan Stieber in one of the worst calls I have ever seen for not allowing an obvious takedown.

I still remember a story where Oliver bet a 174 or 186 lb. Oklahoma St. varsity wrestler $20 that he could ride him for a whole round.  (Oliver wrestled 133 at the time).  The 174 lb. wrestler told me he could NOT escape Oliver no matter what he did.  Same thing happened on takedowns.  Team mates said he was incredibly fast, strong, and had a thousand moves.

I hope Oliver keeps wrestling and finds success at North Carolina.