CoachWrestling

Snyder will never beat Sadulaev again

10 minutes ago, denger said:

If they meet, Snyder is the underdog. I happen to believe that he performs better that way. 

this is just one of those things people like to say because it fits into the sports cliches...

snyder hasn't been the underdog since 2015... won an olympic gold and another world gold since...

the only time he might have been considered an underdog again was in 2018 world finals... he got stuck...

regardless...

i would be mildly shocked if sadulaeuv loses to him again anytime in the foreseeable future...

7 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

based on what?

Snyder's initial win over Sadulaev surprised me.  Whether he gassed him out, or whether Sadulaev didn't wrestle his best, I'm not sure, but even then, I wasn't confident would win a rematch.

I thought the second match was actually a fluke until I watched Sadulaev's earlier matches, and saw him control his opponents' draping arm while hitting his dump.  Snyder had to have known that was coming, and I'm not sure why he didn't bail earlier, but regardless, I don't think the win was the fluke I initially thought.

I'm not suggesting that Snyder can't beat him again, and I'm sure they're closer than last year's pin suggests, but unless Snyder jumps levels, I won't favor him to win any rematches.

Correct me if I'm wrong (as I can't recall any specific matches), but doesn't Sadulaev also dominate guys that have beaten Snyder here and there?  Although Snyder seems to shine when the lights are brightest (last year's world final excepting), he also drops a match or two every year, which suggests to me the two are on different levels.

10 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

Unfortunately this is the truth. I thought the Russians were making excuses for the loss but I think they were right. Hoping he wins but I would be shocked. 

This is hardly an outlandish take.  Snyder is a great technician, a physical monster, and an absolute force of will.  But Sadulaev is a once in a generation phenom--already an all-time great at 23 (allegedly). He's lost 3 times in his entire career, and only once since 2013 (to Snyder).  

32 minutes ago, whaletail said:

Correct me if I'm wrong (as I can't recall any specific matches), but doesn't Sadulaev also dominate guys that have beaten Snyder here and there?  Although Snyder seems to shine when the lights are brightest (last year's world final excepting), he also drops a match or two every year, which suggests to me the two are on different levels.

Sort of?  He teched everyone at World's last year, including Odikadze who holds 1 win over Snyder back in 2016, and obviously pinned Snyder.  Most recently he teched Baitcaev in their wrestle off.  But he's had a couple of close ones as well... namely a 3-1 win and a 3-0 win at Euros.  

It's not rocket science, but I think Snyder's approach has to be to keep the match close, and make it extremely physical for the first 4:30.  If he's going to get him, it's going to be late. And also, to reign in his damn adrenaline in the first 30 seconds of the match.  It nearly cost him the match in 2017 and obviously cost him in 2018.  

2 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

This is hardly an outlandish take.  Snyder is a great technician, a physical monster, and an absolute force of will.  But Sadulaev is a once in a generation phenom--already an all-time great at 23 (allegedly). He's lost 3 times in his entire career, and only once since 2013 (to Snyder).  

Sort of?  He teched everyone at World's last year, including Odikadze who holds 1 win over Snyder back in 2016, and obviously pinned Snyder.  Most recently he teched Baitcaev in their wrestle off.  But he's had a couple of close ones as well... namely a 3-1 win and a 3-0 win at Euros.  

It's not rocket science, but I think Snyder's approach has to be to keep the match close, and make it extremely physical for the first 4:30.  If he's going to get him, it's going to be late. And also, to reign in his damn adrenaline in the first 30 seconds of the match.  It nearly cost him the match in 2017 and obviously cost him in 2018.  

Can't disagree with any of that, especially his path to victory.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Sadulaev was still growing into the weight when Snyder got him. He was firmly acclimated to the weight in the second match. I would think Sadulaev should be considered a solid favorite the next time they meet. 

The interesting thing going into last year’s match was Sad’s coach calling it to a ‘T’. He stated Sad will look like he is wrestling an amateur and won’t give him an opportunity to score one point. He then went out and hit a MS barrel roll in about 30 seconds...

UWW currently has Snyder ranked #1 and Sadulaev at #2 so hopefully we get to see Part 3 in the finals at Worlds.

Will be interesting to see where Vegas sets the betting odds for these two. 

Edited by 2td3nf

1 minute ago, 2td3nf said:

UWW currently has Snyder ranked #1 and Sadulaev at #2 so hopefully we get to see Part 3 in the finals at Worlds.

Will be interesting to see where Vegas sets the betting odds for these two. 

Are those actual rankings or are those the seeds?

10 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

Are those actual rankings or are those the seeds?

"rankings" based off of seeding points...

i don't think anyone with any semblance of objectivity "ranks" snyder above sad...

"rankings" based off of seeding points...

i don't think anyone with any semblance of objectivity "ranks" snyder above sad...

No one thought Taylor was UWW wrestler of the year either. But he did have the most points.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Folks are forgetting that Nickal is making a run at 97 next year already?

Chumps.
Is that for U23's? I heard the NLWC is working on a redshirt for him next year so he can be a two time U23 place winner.

17 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

Is that for U23's? I heard the NLWC is working on a redshirt for him next year so he can be a two time U23 place winner.

No.

You're just being silly.