Rutgers continues to make great strides. They have a new practice facility and an administration that supports wrestling. Their fan support is growing exponentially. Rutgers is also an excellent university. From what I see, they haven’t hit the ceiling yet. The only limiting factor may be the campus. It doesn’t compare to PSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, and other the top  schools competing to sign the best wrestlers. There are rumors that Rutgers May leave the B1G because their football team can’t compete in that league. 

The story of Rutgers wrestling continues to be written. Hopefully a team title is in the future for the Scarlet Knights. 

I agree with this assessment of the Rutgers wrestling program. If one scours this forum prior to 2014, I'd be stunned if they got a mention. Granted, after joining the B1G they were thrust onto the national stage. However, they answered the call. The same cannot be said for Maryland. (Heck - MSU, Purdue, and Indiana have been surpassed by this newcomer.)

Who receives the credit - AD, head coach, overall staff, the whole crew???

2 hours ago, RealAmericanHero said:

I agree with this assessment of the Rutgers wrestling program. If one scours this forum prior to 2014, I'd be stunned if they got a mention. Granted, after joining the B1G they were thrust onto the national stage. However, they answered the call. The same cannot be said for Maryland. (Heck - MSU, Purdue, and Indiana have been surpassed by this newcomer.)

Who receives the credit - AD, head coach, overall staff, the whole crew???

I’d say Pritzlaff is the biggest reason...I know he had the strong relationship with Suriano who mentioned it he was a big reason for him transferring there .Also you can look back and see Goodale was getting top recruiting classes and transfers 10 years ago but could never translate to ncaa success until Pritzlaff got in the room 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

All they need to reach the next level is a superstar coach.  Burroughs would be a great option.

I don't know **** about Rutgers in general but Goodale has done an outstanding job. Look where they were a decade ago. And I I'm a fan of JB just as much as the next guy but there is no evidence that he would be a great coach immediately. Maybe someday but winning gold medals does not necessarily mean you're a good coach. America has numerous examples of this.

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I’d say Pritzlaff is the biggest reason...I know he had the strong relationship with Suriano who mentioned it he was a big reason for him transferring there .Also you can look back and see Goodale was getting top recruiting classes and transfers 10 years ago but could never translate to ncaa success until Pritzlaff got in the room 

It is a combination. Pritzlaff is rough around the edges, but an excellent on the mat coach. Goodale is a solid CEO who over the years has recognized where he is weak and has plugged those holes. He is somewhat similar to the ISU coach in that way. 

This year may not be an amazing year for Rutgers. They have:

5 returning qualifiers, but only 1 returning AA (granted he was a champ last year and the weight is much weaker this year)

The other qualifiers aren't very likely to AA, but given that it is a down year overall one or even two could sneak on the podium.

Rutgers does have the #4 class coming in, so depending on how the season plays out, I wouldn't be shocked if 1 or 2 made the lineup. 

Also worth noting that their 157, Glasgow, looked pretty good last season and was a high level recruit, but he got injured and then totally fell apart. He might be the 2nd most likely guy to AA on the team. 

1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

I don't know **** about Rutgers in general but Goodale has done an outstanding job. Look where they were a decade ago. And I I'm a fan of JB just as much as the next guy but there is no evidence that he would be a great coach immediately. Maybe someday but winning gold medals does not necessarily mean you're a good coach. America has numerous examples of this.

Yes, but he has no star power.  No one outside of current Rutgers fans have heard of Scott Goodale.  Kids in HS don't know who he is.  If they landed JB, or Dake or Taylor as a head coach they would finally be big time.

15 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Yes, but he has no star power.  No one outside of current Rutgers fans have heard of Scott Goodale.  Kids in HS don't know who he is.  If they landed JB, or Dake or Taylor as a head coach they would finally be big time.

But current Rutgers fans take up most of NJ (both Pork Roll NJ and Taylor Ham NJ).

There is absolutely no truth to them leaving the B1G because of football not being as competitive as they would like.

Even the worst team in the B1G gets more from profit sharing in the B1G than all but 10-15 or so teams in all of FBS and an insurmountable amount more than any non Power 5 conference team would.

You're talking, even if they went to the ACC and became top 3 annually they would make 15-25 million less per year in profit sharing even if finishing dead last in the B1G, depending on if the B1G sends 2 to New Years bowls or just 1.

Quit making crap up @gowrestle.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

This year may not be an amazing year for Rutgers. They have:

5 returning qualifiers, but only 1 returning AA (granted he was a champ last year and the weight is much weaker this year)

The other qualifiers aren't very likely to AA, but given that it is a down year overall one or even two could sneak on the podium.

Rutgers does have the #4 class coming in, so depending on how the season plays out, I wouldn't be shocked if 1 or 2 made the lineup. 

Also worth noting that their 157, Glasgow, looked pretty good last season and was a high level recruit, but he got injured and then totally fell apart. He might be the 2nd most likely guy to AA on the team. 

Glasgow looked like he lost his confidence, idk if he was still hurt but he was hesitant last year 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

To a certain extent, you're right.  Goodale isn't a household name in the broader wrestling community across most of the country.  That's not an advantage.  But I don't think the star power necessarily has to come from him.  He might not be a household name, but Rutgers is becoming one.  Suriano is.  Aragona may be.  They're in the Big 10.  They have NCAA champs.  They have young talent incoming.  They have the NJRTC.  They're catching up in terms of facilities.  They're seriously in the hunt for the #1 recruit in the country.  

What Goodale has been able to do is build a brand, and create serious excitement around the program within the fanbase that's only matched in a couple of places across the country.  Whether or not you like that brand is a different matter, but the NJ tough guy "let's scrap" mentality is going to appeal to a certain percentage of top wrestlers, provided they continue to produce results in March.  

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I'll agree with you that not a lot of people know his name and if they were to hire one of those guys it would certainly give them an initial boost. It would probably help with recruiting. However, if it wasn't sustained or if his coaching was not up to par and they started losing, I don't think it matters how many gold medals he has. But it would certainly be a big higher and would certainly bring them a lot of attention. I just don't know that right now if anybody there could do a better job than what has been done. But I have been wrong in the past.

I would say he’s pretty well known now  in NJ (wrestling) as the coach of Rutgers.  Maybe he’s not that well known outside of NJ, but they have finally seemed to get some higher profile out of state recruits, so maybe even that’s changing.

I know this has been discussed before but wrestling seems to be the only sport with this obsession about coaches needing to be world class competitors.   The best competitors don’t always make the best coaches, and if you want coaches that can  beat your wrestlers, you can always hire assistants to do that.  Besides, it’s not like Goodake was a scrub, he was a 3X NQ with 99 wins.

16 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Those that need to know, know Goodale. 

16 hours ago, nhs67 said:

There is absolutely no truth to them leaving the B1G because of football not being as competitive as they would like.

Even the worst team in the B1G gets more from profit sharing in the B1G than all but 10-15 or so teams in all of FBS and an insurmountable amount more than any non Power 5 conference team would.

You're talking, even if they went to the ACC and became top 3 annually they would make 15-25 million less per year in profit sharing even if finishing dead last in the B1G, depending on if the B1G sends 2 to New Years bowls or just 1.

Quit making crap up @gowrestle.

Living in New jersey I know a lot  of die hard Rutgers fans.

For the most part,they think moving to the B1G ,at least when it comes to football and men's basketball ,the only sports they care about,was, at best,premature.

Rutgers "not being as competitive as they would like" in football,is an understatement.

Right now,and for the foreseeable future,they feel RU isn't going to be close to competitive in football,and marginal in men's basketball.

No question,the money from the B1G is great.

But the fans I know really hate being embarrassed  ,pretty much every week during football season.

The consensus is that,unless there is some glimmer of hope on the horizon,money or not,

Rutgers should at least consider going to another conference.

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

Living in New jersey I know a lot  of die hard Rutgers fans.

For the most part,they think moving to the B1G ,at least when it comes to football and men's basketball ,the only sports they care about,was, at best,premature.

Rutgers "not being as competitive as they would like" in football,is an understatement.

Right now,and for the foreseeable future,they feel RU isn't going to be close to competitive in football,and marginal in men's basketball.

No question,the money from the B1G is great.

But the fans I know really hate being embarrassed  ,pretty much every week during football season.

The consensus is that,unless there is some glimmer of hope on the horizon,money or not,

Rutgers should at least consider going to another conference.

Wrestling obviously has held its own. Football is decimated weekly. Rutgers brings the NY market into the B1G but some AD’s in the conference want Rutgers out. But that is a rumor and likely is not based on fact. Nevertheless, at what point is enough, enough?  Besides, wrestling doesn’t need the B1G. The Eastern Wrestling League would be delighted to have them. 

1 hour ago, gowrestle said:

Wrestling obviously has held its own. Football is decimated weekly. Rutgers brings the NY market into the B1G but some AD’s in the conference want Rutgers out. But that is a rumor and likely is not based on fact. Nevertheless, at what point is enough, enough?  Besides, wrestling doesn’t need the B1G. The Eastern Wrestling League would be delighted to have them. 

Do you mean the EIWA where they were for decades? The EWL has folded into the MAC.

There is no other media deal out there that will compensate Rutgers as much as the B1G does.

Money makes the world spin.

Deal with it.

And no. No ADs want Rutgers out. Thet know and understand the money brought in by the NYC market.

So let's move on from that. Nothing to see here 

5 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Those that need to know, know Goodale. 

In New Jersey yes , but since 08 who is the best out of state recruit Rutgers has brought in? Goodale got N.J. pretty locked down but if Rutgers wants to take the next step and be a trophy team then need to land some out of state All Americans 

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

In New Jersey yes , but since 08 who is the best out of state recruit Rutgers has brought in? Goodale got N.J. pretty locked down but if Rutgers wants to take the next step and be a trophy team then need to land some out of state All Americans 

I agree somewhat. Out of state AA blue chippers are starting to arrive.  Presently therebare tough wrestlers about to begin from California, pa, Ohio and Virginia. Rutgers just got a huge commitment from a Maryland junior at heavyweight. However, the Suriano-Ashnault victories are just beginning to take root in NJ. Rutgers has room to grow from within and has not tapped fully into its in-state talent.