2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

There is no other media deal out there that will compensate Rutgers as much as the B1G does.

Money makes the world spin.

Deal with it.

And no. No ADs want Rutgers out. Thet know and understand the money brought in by the NYC market.

So let's move on from that. Nothing to see here 

Agree,money makes the world spin.

When Rutgers was invited to join the B1G,there were a number of news stories about how one of the B1G's primary motivations was

being able to push the Big Ten Network into the NYC area.

The network is here,and isn't going away.

I don't know if any AD's want Rutgers out of the B1G or not.

From their perspective,at least in football and men's basketball,why would they ?

What's not to love about playing Rutgers?

No question,Rutgers gets a lot of money from the B1G.

But,now that "the shine has worn off" and when  donors and fans get fed up with  being the B1G's doormat in football,and,to some extent ,men's basketball,they may  have to look into other options.

Even now,they can't convince N.J.'s top prospects in football to "stay home" and go there.

Do you really think continuing to get  destroyed by teams like

OSU,PSU,Mich.,MSU etc.in football is going to somehow  elevate  the program ?

Edited by rpbobcat

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

But,now that "the shine has worn off" and when  donors and fans get fed up with  being the B1G's doormat in football,and,to some extent ,men's basketball,they may  have to look into other options.

Do you mean "look elsewhere" for revenue, or for another conference?  

The won't find the revenue they have now anywhere else.

They are staying put.

The only way they don't, is if the B1G boots them, which they won't.  Not in the next 10 years.

The B1G is more likely to expand to 16 teams than remove any.

Hell, the B1G has a better chance of nabbing Texas and Oklahoma than Rutgers does at getting booted in the next 10 years.

3 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Agree,money makes the world spin.

When Rutgers was invited to join the B1G,there were a number of news stories about how one of the B1G's primary motivations was

being able to push the Big Ten Network into the NYC area.

The network is here,and isn't going away.

I don't know if any AD's want Rutgers out of the B1G or not.

From their perspective,at least in football and men's basketball,why would they ?

What's not to love about playing Rutgers?

No question,Rutgers gets a lot of money from the B1G.

Even now,they can't convince N.J.'s top prospects in football to "stay home" and go there.

Do you really think continuing to get  destroyed by teams like

OSU,PSU,Mich.,MSU etc.in football is going to somehow  elevate  the program ?

Have their teams/recruiting classes gotten any worse since moving to the B10?

On 8/28/2019 at 3:29 PM, nhs67 said:

There is absolutely no truth to them leaving the B1G because of football not being as competitive as they would like.

Even the worst team in the B1G gets more from profit sharing in the B1G than all but 10-15 or so teams in all of FBS and an insurmountable amount more than any non Power 5 conference team would.

You're talking, even if they went to the ACC and became top 3 annually they would make 15-25 million less per year in profit sharing even if finishing dead last in the B1G, depending on if the B1G sends 2 to New Years bowls or just 1.

Quit making crap up @gowrestle.

Here you go and there are other articles. Unless Rutgers can become “almost respectable” the pressure will come first from alumni and ultimately from the other schools to remove the Scarlet Knights from the premier college athletics conference. I don’t want it to occur but as a big Rutgers fan it is disheartening watching what happens on the gridiron. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/sports/rutgers-big-ten.html

13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Have their teams/recruiting classes gotten any worse since moving to the B10?

If their record in football  and men's basketball are any indication,they have gotten much worse since moving

to the B1G.

Before moving to the B1G Rutgers was at least competitive in these sports.

Its seems even their women's basketball program has suffered a downturn since moving the the B1G.

11 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

If their record in football  and men's basketball are any indication,they have gotten much worse since moving

to the B1G.

Its seems even their women's basketball program has suffered a downturn since moving the the B1G.

That wasn’t my question.  In theory one should expect their record to be worse due to being in the B10, but are the teams/recruits themselves actually worse?  If anything, I bet recruits would rather “say they played in the B10” even if they didn’t win a game, than be mediocre in a subpar conference.

Besides, there were only 2 years where Schiano was gone before they moved to the B10.  I’d argue their better records were more due to Schiano than being in the Big East (and American for a year).  They were pretty terrible before Schiano too, were people calling for them to change conferences then?

Edited by 1032004

45 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

That wasn’t my question.  In theory one should expect their record to be worse due to being in the B10, but are the teams/recruits themselves actually worse?  If anything, I bet recruits would rather “say they played in the B10” even if they didn’t win a game, than be mediocre in a subpar conference.

Besides, there were only 2 years where Schiano was gone before they moved to the B10.  I’d argue their better records were more due to Schiano than being in the Big East (and American for a year).  They were pretty terrible before Schiano too, were people calling for them to change conferences then?

I know that there have been a number of complaints from Rutgers fans concerning the "quality" (number of "stars') for football recruits.

The fact that Rutgers seems to be regressing, would indicate that at least their football team is getting worse.

As best as I can recall,before Schiano,the Rutgers fans were calling for new coaches,not conference.

As I also  recall,talk of possibly joining  the B1G  started when Schiano was coach.

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

I know that there have been a number of complaints from Rutgers fans concerning the "quality" (number of "stars') for football recruits.

The fact that Rutgers seems to be regressing, would indicate that at least their football team is getting worse.

As best as I can recall,before Schiano,the Rutgers fans were calling for new coaches,not conference.

As I also  recall,talk of possibly joining  the B1G  started when Schiano was coach.

But again, my point is with a tougher schedule, of course their record is going to be worse.   And even so, their records haven't been much different than before Schiano (and in Schiano's first 2 years).

1997 0-11

1999 1-10

2001 2-9

2002 1-11

Edit: Their first year in the B10 they were 8-5 overall (3-5 in the B10 including a win over Michigan) and beat UNC in a bowl game.   As you allude to, their problem seems to be with poor coaching, not the conference they're in.

Their men's basketball records look comparable too, maybe even better since joining the B10.  Besides, wasn't the Big East considered comparable, maybe even better than the B10 in basketball? Their 7 conference wins last season were the most they've had since 2005-2006. 

Edited by 1032004

6 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Here you go and there are other articles. Unless Rutgers can become “almost respectable” the pressure will come first from alumni and ultimately from the other schools to remove the Scarlet Knights from the premier college athletics conference. I don’t want it to occur but as a big Rutgers fan it is disheartening watching what happens on the gridiron. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/sports/rutgers-big-ten.html

It isn't going to happen bro.

That is an article by a fan who is taking things said and bending them into his article how he wishes for it to be understood.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

It isn't going to happen bro.

That is an article by a fan who is taking things said and bending them into his article how he wishes for it to be understood.

Well I hope you are correct but I’ve learned to never say never. On the football front, they just can’t get the athletes. Ash is an excellent coach but when kids walk across the campuses of VTech, BC, ND, PSU, Wisconsin, etc., and then across Rutgers, it does not bode well for RU. If the bashing continues on the gridiron, it won’t be NEVER but rather when and where. 

7 minutes ago, gowrestle said:

If the bashing continues on the gridiron, it won’t be NEVER but rather when and where. 

This.

I have a friend who is big Rutgers booster.

He parks in the Scarlet Lot.

He was worried about Rutgers joining  the B1G  from when it was first 

announced.

I was with him for a tailgate for RU's last home game,before the conference switch.

He said to the people there, "Enjoy this.Its going to be a long time,if ever, in our life time (he's in his 60's),we're

gonna be happy at the end of a football season. "

Most people there agreed .

Rutgers has had a loyal following of die-hard fans like him and his friends,going back to their 

darkest days in football.

Rutgers loses them,then the look out for the "when and where".

On 8/29/2019 at 8:03 AM, rpbobcat said:

Living in New jersey I know a lot  of die hard Rutgers fans.

For the most part,they think moving to the B1G ,at least when it comes to football and men's basketball ,the only sports they care about,was, at best,premature.

Rutgers "not being as competitive as they would like" in football,is an understatement.

Right now,and for the foreseeable future,they feel RU isn't going to be close to competitive in football,and marginal in men's basketball.

No question,the money from the B1G is great.

But the fans I know really hate being embarrassed  ,pretty much every week during football season.

The consensus is that,unless there is some glimmer of hope on the horizon,money or not,

Rutgers should at least consider going to another conference.

Football is a lost cause at Rutgers. It will take years to build that program up. 

I think they could make strides in basketball. Basketball, especially in college, is weird. You just need a couple high level recruits and all of a sudden you start winning games at March Madness. It is similar to wrestling in that way. 

I don't know the basketball recruiting scene very well at all, so I could be way off

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

For all the talk of success at Rutgers, it is worth remembering that the team has never, in its entire history, had more than two All-Americans in the same year. Let's hold off on this title talk.

Are we permitted to dream?

On 8/30/2019 at 7:43 AM, rpbobcat said:

to the B1G.

Its not.  In FB, before they joined the B10 they were playing the likes of Temple, Norfolk State, Kent State, Tulane, FIU, Army (when they were bad), UCF (when they were bad). They may have been wins...but the were against the FBS sisters of the poor.

On 8/29/2019 at 12:37 PM, Antitroll2828 said:

In New Jersey yes , but since 08 who is the best out of state recruit Rutgers has brought in? Goodale got N.J. pretty locked down but if Rutgers wants to take the next step and be a trophy team then need to land some out of state All Americans 

I thought the pre-Goodale argument was that Rutgers would do very well if they kept the NJ kids from leaving the state. He seems to have accomplished this goal and they are enjoying unprecedented success.

16 hours ago, Greatdane67 said:

I thought the pre-Goodale argument was that Rutgers would do very well if they kept the NJ kids from leaving the state. He seems to have accomplished this goal and they are enjoying unprecedented success.

Yes they are but as Goodale and most Rutgers people have said is they want to compete for a team trophy at ncaas...as great as NJ is ,to accomplish that you need to recruit out of state as well so for them to take the next step they need to consistently recruit out of state ...I’m not hating on Rutgers at all just pointing out that an All NJ will only get you so far and if they wanna be a top 4 team which I believe they can be they need to step up out of state recruiting...Glad they got turley and they other George mason recruit just need to keep building on that 

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Yes they are but as Goodale and most Rutgers people have said is they want to compete for a team trophy at ncaas...as great as NJ is ,to accomplish that you need to recruit out of state as well so for them to take the next step they need to consistently recruit out of state ...I’m not hating on Rutgers at all just pointing out that an All NJ will only get you so far and if they wanna be a top 4 team which I believe they can be they need to step up out of state recruiting...Glad they got turley and they other George mason recruit just need to keep building on that 

Agree, and the out of state recruits are beginning to come. Two weeks ago, A junior heavyweight (Kyonte Hamilton) from Maryland committed. That’s huge for an out of state junior to already see Rutgers as choice 1.  Certainly not easy, but this year, an all NJ team could have won NCAA’s.  Sea bass-3, Suriano-1, McKenna-2, ashnault-1, skip, Lewis-1, McFadden-5,Martin-3, skip and Casser-1. 

On 8/28/2019 at 8:06 AM, RealAmericanHero said:

I agree with this assessment of the Rutgers wrestling program. If one scours this forum prior to 2014, I'd be stunned if they got a mention. Granted, after joining the B1G they were thrust onto the national stage. However, they answered the call. The same cannot be said for Maryland. (Heck - MSU, Purdue, and Indiana have been surpassed by this newcomer.)

Who receives the credit - AD, head coach, overall staff, the whole crew???

The whole crew to some degree, but I believe getting Donny Pritzaff was huge!!!!