Sign in to follow this  
executionery4145

Dan gable

https://www.si.com/vault/1984/07/18/643812/the-ultimate-winner

"....[Randy] Lewis was recently pondering what makes Gable so effective as a coach. "He knows how to make adjustments, when to work, when to ease off," Lewis said. "And he has the ability to keep things new. Workouts are different every day. You never know what's next. He'll tell you to start running laps, and you don't know if it will be one lap or 10. But when he sees you're really tired, I'll tell you what, that's when he pushes you some more."

14 hours ago, Sheerstress said:

https://www.si.com/vault/1984/07/18/643812/the-ultimate-winner

"....[Randy] Lewis was recently pondering what makes Gable so effective as a coach. "He knows how to make adjustments, when to work, when to ease off," Lewis said. "And he has the ability to keep things new. Workouts are different every day. You never know what's next. He'll tell you to start running laps, and you don't know if it will be one lap or 10. But when he sees you're really tired, I'll tell you what, that's when he pushes you some more."

This is a really important point.  The Iowa stereotype is of pure grinding/drudgery -- just guys doing buddy carries up the Carver stairs over and over and over.  But the Lewis quote is borne out by everyone that's ever covered Gable in any depth.

The Season on the Mat book, following Gable in his last season with a lot of access given to the author, shows Gable as being relentless and intense, but also smart, practical, and nuanced.  There are certainly brutal scenes, such as one extremely vivid weight cut, but his key coaching move is actually a dialing back at the end of the season -- having the team just put on warm wraps and relax on the mats instead of hard workouts.  There's also a notable amount of give and take with people in the program who aren't agreeing with him.  

He also displays a surprising sensitivity and understanding of his athletes as people.  There's one short scene where they are driving somewhere and Gable offers low key but insightful advice to one of the wrestlers on his on-and-off relationship with his girlfriend, telling him that he thinks that in a situation like that, you've either got to commit to it or break up, but not keep splitting and then getting back together.  

Looking at Gable as a coach and going, "Dur, Iowa style!" is really, really, REALLY dumb. 

There was a little bit more behind his coaching than simply having athletes who were in really good shape who pushed people around the mat.  

16 hours ago, ExBSUfan said:

He must have bumped up a weight for the team. I can respect that.

who is getting pushed?

ok at first i was thinking this was actually an iowa wrestler from the original posting.  seems like its not

Edited by fiveontwo
obama

4 hours ago, fiveontwo said:

who is getting pushed?

ok at first i was thinking this was actually an iowa wrestler from the original posting.  seems like its not

Maybe he is an Iowa wrestler, I have no idea. All I know is that I would like to see the end of this match considering the sequence we just saw. Maybe the guy made an epic comeback and won in overtime.