Sublime607

Question for Iowa fans.

8 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Conway took 8th and only won 1 match topside (12-7) then had a few dec in wrestle backs and lost his medal match ...really didn’t score many points ...nico is most likely a finalist at 125 unless zeke moisley pinned him too ...penn state had NQ at 141 where Zain is most likely a finalist (against steibler) or 149 Zach Beitz went 1-2 and lost to pantelo and Zain is most likely champ here ....also they had nolf in redshirt and he only lost to green by 1 that year 

Just pointing out it changes the math. 34.5 is not what needed made up from those two. Closer to 40 I guess? Agree, good chance they could’ve done it  

On 9/3/2019 at 9:46 PM, Antitroll2828 said:

Conway took 8th and only won 1 match topside (12-7) then had a few dec in wrestle backs and lost his medal match ...really didn’t score many points ...nico is most likely a finalist at 125 unless zeke moisley pinned him too ...penn state had NQ at 141 where Zain is most likely a finalist (against steibler) or 149 Zach Beitz went 1-2 and lost to pantelo and Zain is most likely champ here ....also they had nolf in redshirt and he only lost to green by 1 that year 

Nico had major issues with Garrett and NaTo.  Calling him a Finalist favorite simply because Moisey had a crazy tourney is a stretch.  That isn't to say he couldn't/wouldn't have made it, but if Garrett could take 5th, so could Nico.

Also, Zain STILL would have had to go through Port and/or Stieber to get to the Finals at 141.  Now, he was a MONSTER at 149, but he had a whole off year to grow into it.  Going right up to 149 from 141 that next year would have been pretty tough.  Tsirtsis was still at his best and Houdashelt, Habat and Sorensen were stout.  Doubting Zain would be folly, but expecting him to be as good as he was at 149 the year following 141 is a bit of a stretch.

So, with that said, PSU would have roughly needed 40 pts out of those 2, if everything else stayed the same, for them to win.  With that in mind, I would say tOSU was still VERY LIKELY to have won it all that season.

2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Nico had major issues with Garrett and NaTo.  Calling him a Finalist favorite simply because Moisey had a crazy tourney is a stretch.  That isn't to say he couldn't/wouldn't have made it, but if Garrett could take 5th, so could Nico.

Also, Zain STILL would have had to go through Port and/or Stieber to get to the Finals at 141.  Now, he was a MONSTER at 149, but he had a whole off year to grow into it.  Going right up to 149 from 141 that next year would have been pretty tough.  Tsirtsis was still at his best and Houdashelt, Habat and Sorensen were stout.  Doubting Zain would be folly, but expecting him to be as good as he was at 149 the year following 141 is a bit of a stretch.

So, with that said, PSU would have roughly needed 40 pts out of those 2, if everything else stayed the same, for them to win.  With that in mind, I would say tOSU was still VERY LIKELY to have won it all that season.

Well I was figuring nico was in the bottom bracket opposite NATO (who he has never beat) And nashon got pinned in the round of 16 I believe so more then likely Nico would have lost to nato in the finals..

i get what your getting at with Zain having a year to grow, that being said he teched tsirtsis twice the next year and dominated Sorensen his whole career ,so he’s still more likely then not champ but I agree those 2 would not have made up the 40 points they would have had to pull nolf as well who would have been anywhere from 2-5 most likely that would’ve gotten it done 

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Well I was figuring nico was in the bottom bracket opposite NATO (who he has never beat) And nashon got pinned in the round of 16 I believe so more then likely Nico would have lost to nato in the finals..

i get what your getting at with Zain having a year to grow, that being said he teched tsirtsis twice the next year and dominated Sorensen his whole career ,so he’s still more likely then not champ but I agree those 2 would not have made up the 40 points they would have had to pull nolf as well who would have been anywhere from 2-5 most likely that would’ve gotten it done 

Had Cael wrestled Zain and Nolf that year and presumably win, they then likely lose in 2018. 

7 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Had Cael wrestled Zain and Nolf that year and presumably win, they then likely lose in 2018. 

Solid point ...without a doubt Ohio state wins but also maybe Ohio state would have redshirted more guys in 2015 if psu wasn’t punting that year ...either way osu is winning a title 

Edited by Antitroll2828

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Solid point ...without a doubt Ohio state wins but also maybe Ohio state would have redshirted more guys in 2015 if psu wasn’t punting that year ...either way osu is winning a title 

We all can see what the final margin was at 2015 NCAA's, but I think tOSU had to wrestle with the lineup they went with. I think they try to win that year No matter what. Once PSU looked like they were redshirting their freshmen anyway.

And I agree, PSU can't win 2015 and 2018. tOSU gets one of them.

Edited by TBar1977

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

All in all definitely better for wrestling Ohio state won in my opinion. I think it’s always good anytime a school can break through and win that’s not psu Iowa or Oklahoma state , not mention a fun team to watch 

To think a decade ago Penn State mentioned as a title contender would have gotten you laughed out of the gym. Early 1970's any mention of Iowa being a Title contender - same thing. 

A coaching hire and things change dramatically.