gallison

Missouri Questions??

Missouri has posted their 2019/2020 roster and it raises a few questions.

1.  Malik Johnson a 4 time Missouri state champ from CBC, is not on the roster.   He would have been a red shirt sophomore and was likely a starter at 133.  What's up?   Has he transferred?

2.  Grant Leeth is listed at 141 which was expected.   However, Jaydin Eierman is also listed at 141.  I would have expected if Jaydin was taking an Olympic RS he would not be a registered student and therefore, not on Mizzou's roster.   Is this just my misunderstanding or is Jaydin not taking his RS?

3. The rumor that Connor Brown was transferring to Mizzou was not substantiated by having his name on the roster.   Any update on Connor's plans?

Thanks for any help on this.   Gary

16 minutes ago, gallison said:

1.  Malik Johnson a 4 time Missouri state champ from CBC, is not on the roster.   He would have been a red shirt sophomore and was likely a starter at 133.  What's up?   Has he transferred?

2.  Grant Leeth is listed at 141 which was expected.   However, Jaydin Eierman is also listed at 141.  I would have expected if Jaydin was taking an Olympic RS he would not be a registered student and therefore, not on Mizzou's roster.   Is this just my misunderstanding or is Jaydin not taking his RS?

3. The rumor that Connor Brown was transferring to Mizzou was not substantiated by having his name on the roster.   Any update on Connor's plans?

Brown is on the roster - https://mutigers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7758

Olympic Redshirt - You can still be enrolled in school and on the team. Mekhi Lewis is registered at Va Tech still. It's really no different than a regular redshirt except you have to qualify for it. It basically waives the 5 years to compete in 4 to add an additional year to your clock.

Edited by PinFallRecruit
Additional Info

Thanks PinFallRecruit.  No picture was posted, so I scrolled right past it.   

Any idea if he's eligible to wrestle this year?   Will he need to sit for a year?   I've seen it speculated in both ways.

Thanks

Just now, gallison said:

Thanks PinFallRecruit.  No picture was posted, so I scrolled right past it.   

Any idea if he's eligible to wrestle this year?   Will he need to sit for a year?   I've seen it speculated in both ways.

Thanks

One never knows these days (and probably can never know with HIPAA rules), but unless he's received a waiver of some sort, given that it's Brown's second transfer, he should be required to complete a year in residence prior to competing for the Tigers.

12 hours ago, gallison said:

1.  Malik Johnson a 4 time Missouri state champ from CBC, is not on the roster.   He would have been a red shirt sophomore and was likely a starter at 133.  What's up?   

Malik competed for Mizzou at 65 kg at U23.

I believe he would be a redshirt Freshman. 

One of the most interesting things I see on MO's roster: Dack Punke (125lbs) and Jace Punke (285lbs), both from the same high school.  Are these guys brothers?  If so, I don't think I have ever seen that big of a weight disparity between two brothers at the college level.  I guess they don't roll around together too much back home!

Edited by Broomstick

13 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

Olympic Redshirt - You can still be enrolled in school and on the team. Mekhi Lewis is registered at Va Tech still. It's really no different than a regular redshirt except you have to qualify for it. It basically waives the 5 years to compete in 4 to add an additional year to your clock.

Mekhi Lewis is not taking classes this year.

21 minutes ago, Broomstick said:

One of the most interesting things I see on MO's roster: Dack Punke (125lbs) and Jace Punke (285lbs), both from the same high school.  Are these guys brothers?  If so, I don't think I have ever seen that big of a weight disparity between two brothers at the college level.  I guess they don't roll around together too much back home!

Yes brothers and they've another brother Ryder at IL who is 165

1 hour ago, Broomstick said:

That is pretty interesting. I think Rutgers has a DelVecchio joining the team this year who's 285, his brother was at 133. 

1 hour ago, Broomstick said:

Jace did wrestle 195 as a senior and then 220 at Fargo. still a pretty big size difference between the brothers. 

21 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

You cannot take any classes during an Olympic redshirt. I assume that means you cannot be enrolled, but maybe there is a difference between enrolled, listed on the roster, and taking classes. I am 100% certain you cannot take classes though.

edit: apparently I should never say 100% certain. This cycle seems to have different rules. I thought I confirmed it when Yianni said he couldn’t take classes, but that is an Ivy thing

Edited by Housebuye

1 minute ago, Gantry said:

Are you 100% certain that is the rule for this cycle?  I know it was in the past, but it seems like there's a lot of smoke saying otherwise - though admittedly nothing concrete.

wondering same...can't recall where I saw it but something abut Fix saying he was taking classes but could still use Olympic shirt. like you said far from concrete.... 

11 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

wondering same...can't recall where I saw it but something abut Fix saying he was taking classes but could still use Olympic shirt. like you said far from concrete.... 

Fix said that in a interview at OTC recently I believe it's on Flo.Said they checked with compliance and he can take classes and still Olympic RS.Yianni can't take classes because Ivy league schools don't allow RS so Yianni won't enroll this year he's gonna learn Russian instead

Edited by justafan

9 hours ago, Broomstick said:

My high school team had TWINS that wrestled 113 lbs and heavyweight for us. Straight out of that Schwartzenager/Danny Devito movie. Literally a 15 inch height difference between them. I’ll let you guess which one of them was a punk. 

16 hours ago, justafan said:

Fix said that in a interview at OTC recently I believe it's on Flo.Said they checked with compliance and he can take classes and still Olympic RS.Yianni can't take classes because Ivy league schools don't allow RS so Yianni won't enroll this year he's gonna learn Russian instead

He said the same thing in an interview with Askren on the Rudis podcast.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:51 PM, gallison said:

Grant Leeth at 141 surprised me. It looked like at 149, he was really lean already. He'll have to cut 8lbs of muscle.

4 hours ago, flanders said:

Grant Leeth at 141 surprised me. It looked like at 149, he was really lean already. He'll have to cut 8lbs of muscle.

Apparently the decision Leeth will go 141 was made shortly after last season.   He's come down to 141 in a very gradual manner; not overnight.   He's surely lost some muscle but he'll still be a monster at 141 if he isn't suffering from the cut.