Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Best college wrestlers but worst freestyler?

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

I can't tell if you are obnoxiously trolling or genuinely clueless.

Did he not make the 1980 team? Serious question...which is the only kind of question I end with a question mark. Apparently the same doesn’t apply to you; as you’re apparently old enough to remember the 1980 Olympic trials and like to sarcastically hold it over other posters who are genuinely interested.

Edited by MDogg

the wiki thing is weird. the quote about Olympics 'Churella's collegiate success foreshadowed his qualification for the 1980 Summer Olympics, but the US' boycott of the event prevented the opportunity.[8]' , but the cited reference article mentions nothing about the Olympics, his qualifying, etc.

his bio into national wrestling HOF mentions nothing about '80 

the book wrestlers at the trials https://issuu.com/exitzero/docs/wrestlers_at_the_trials doesn't mention him in the '80 trials. His name comes up a few times in the '76 section.

3 hours ago, KTG119 said:

the wiki thing is weird. the quote about Olympics 'Churella's collegiate success foreshadowed his qualification for the 1980 Summer Olympics, but the US' boycott of the event prevented the opportunity.[8]' , but the cited reference article mentions nothing about the Olympics, his qualifying, etc.

his bio into national wrestling HOF mentions nothing about '80 

the book wrestlers at the trials https://issuu.com/exitzero/docs/wrestlers_at_the_trials doesn't mention him in the '80 trials. His name comes up a few times in the '76 section.

I also read somewhere that quotes him as saying he decided to retire as soon as the boycott was announced. That would be a weird thing to do if he wasn’t the rep...but I definitely trust TeamUSA over Wikipedia.

In that event my answer to this thread’s original question is Mark Churella. 

I’m still ok with my original answer. Pat Smith as first 4 timer and next in line of Smith bros and their freestyle accomplishments....

guessing some guys named Monday and Schultz had something to do with it. 

ain’t looking  or linking right now but recall seeing video of Pat wrestling a young Satiev at some tourney. 

On 8/30/2019 at 3:08 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Quentin Wright

Wright won a junior world bronze in 2008.  I’m not sure if age level medals disqualify one from this list but I would think it probably should. 

17 hours ago, KTG119 said:

I’m still ok with my original answer. Pat Smith as first 4 timer and next in line of Smith bros and their freestyle accomplishments....

guessing some guys named Monday and Schultz had something to do with it. 

ain’t looking  or linking right now but recall seeing video of Pat wrestling a young Saitiev at some tourney. 

The Smiths really hate losing/refs.

BTW Smith stops Saitiev's West Point here. Not many people could.

Edit: I think this vid gives us some indication of why Pat Smith had problems at the senior level: he was a tweener. He is noticeably smaller than Saitiev. At one point Saitiev throws Smith on his hip with just a collar tie and forward pressure.

Edited by jackwebster

On 8/30/2019 at 3:08 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Quentin Wright

Wright won a junior world bronze in 2008.  I’m not sure if age level medals disqualify one from this list but I would think it probably should. 

On 8/30/2019 at 3:01 PM, wildcatfan1992 said:

Heil?

McDonough?

McDonough made a junior world team in 2010 and won a world university bronze medal in 2014

Here are some 3 time champs that haven’t been named yet who never Competed at worlds/olympics.  

Alex Dieringer - three time champ, hodge winner (has won numerous senior international tournaments/junior world silver)

TJ Jaworsky - UNC’s only three time champ, hodge winner

Carlton Haselrig - three time champ d1, three time champ d2 (started NFL career at 23)

Ricky Bonomo - Bloomsburg’s only three time champ

Jim Zalesky - three time champ 

Jimmy Jackson - three time champ (competed in World Cup several times and won pan ams)

Greg Johnson - MSU only three time champ

Mike Caruso - Lehigh’s only three time champ

Larry Hayes - three time champ for iowa state 

Already mentioned

churella (won a junior world title in 1977), pat smith (competed in 1994 World Cup), Greg Jones ( competed in us senior open/wtt 1-2 years), Rosholt (?)

16 hours ago, Fishbane said:

Here are some 3 time champs that haven’t been named yet who never Competed at worlds/olympics.  

Alex Dieringer - three time champ, hodge winner (has won numerous senior international tournaments/junior world silver)

Carlton Haselrig - three time champ d1, three time champ d2 (started NFL career at 23)

Jimmy Jackson - three time champ (competed in World Cup several times and won pan ams)

Already mentioned

churella (won a junior world title in 1977), pat smith (competed in 1994 World Cup), Greg Jones ( competed in us senior open/wtt 1-2 years), Rosholt (?)

Haselrig couldn't beat Erickson or Baumgartner so he quit to play football.  He was a junior world champion.  Zalesky injured his neck and was never the same after that injury so any attempt he made was really hampered by that.  

12 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Haselrig couldn't beat Erickson or Baumgartner so he quit to play football.  He was a junior world champion.  Zalesky injured his neck and was never the same after that injury so any attempt he made was really hampered by that.  

THe only results i saw for Haselrig in the UWW database was a 4th place at the 1985 espior Greco world championships ( an event won by Alexander Karelian).  Nothing about a junior world title, but that database is not necessarily complete.  IT didn’t seem like he gave a international wrestling more than a year of dedicated training post college.  His last NCAA title was in 1989 and he was drafted in the nfl that same year.  Played nfl games for Pittsburgh in 1990.  

On 8/30/2019 at 8:41 PM, jchapman said:

The ridiculous lack of game plan against Robles kept him from his third title.  The shoulder/neck kept him from his 4th AA

Weird take considering Robles was dominant against everybody that year and McDonough had beaten everybody at his weight when healthy, and all but Delgado when he was hurt. You don't think a healthy McDonough could have beaten Delgado for a 3rd time? He beat both Megaludis and Garrett while hurt that year too. 

On 8/31/2019 at 2:10 PM, jchapman said:

1980 boycott prevented me from wrestling in the Olympics as much as it did Churella.

Off topic but this is probably the most annoying cliche in wrestling. Guys that claim they made the Olympic team in 1980. I know you’re kidding, but I encounter guys that claim this and people that actually believe it all of the time.

On September 1, 2019 at 10:29 AM, Fishbane said:

Already mentioned

Really would've liked to see Bonomo wrestle.  I heard rumor that he and John Smith met in a exhibition match.  Anyone confirm that(gimp?)

18 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

Off topic but this is probably the most annoying cliche in wrestling. Guys that claim they made the Olympic team in 1980. I know you’re kidding, but I encounter guys that claim this and people that actually believe it all of the time.

Add to that "Olympic alternate" for just about any year before the internet, but especially "1980 Olympic alternate"

3 hours ago, pennsyrules said:

Really would've liked to see Bonomo wrestle.  I heard rumor that he and John Smith met in a exhibition match.  Anyone confirm that(gimp?)

Belaglazov met Smith in an exhibition... not sure why Bonomo would.

On 8/30/2019 at 3:59 PM, TripNSweep said:

Greg Jones.  I think he placed 7th at the open one year but he wasn't a freestyle guy, which is a shame because he was a very talented wrestler.  

Absolute hammer. Today's freestyle rules + his blast double = world medals for years. I always wondered why he didn't continue his FS career.

On 8/30/2019 at 2:58 PM, MDogg said:

Lots of guys named Mark are college stars at Iowa and Oklahoma State but never make a US world team:

Mark Ironside

Mark Perry

Mark Branch

Mark Muñoz

My answer to that question would be Mark Churella. He doesn’t technically qualify under the initial criteria because he made the 1980 Olympic team but never wrestled because of the boycott. 

Mark Perry never placed in any senior level tournament. I don't recall him ever attempting senior level. His style, worked in college, but his funk style would not have gone well in men's FS.

Mark Churella was an absolute hammer in college and a US top tier in senior FS but did not make the 1980 US Olympic team.

1980 - Moscow, Soviet Union
Bobby Weaver
1980 (Moscow, Soviet Union)
FS
105.5 lbs.
DNC
Gene Mills
FS
114.5 lbs.
DNC
John Azevedo
FS
125.5 lbs.
DNC
Randy Lewis
FS
136.5 lbs.
DNC
Chuck Yagla
FS
149.5 lbs.
DNC
Leroy Kemp
FS
163 lbs.
DNC
Chris Campbell
FS
180.5 lbs.
DNC
Ben Peterson
FS
198 lbs.
DNC
Russ Hellickson
FS
220 lbs.
DNC
Greg Wojciechowski Hwt
1980 (Moscow, Soviet 

1 hour ago, 77again said:

Mark Perry never placed in any senior level tournament. I don't recall him ever attempting senior level. His style, worked in college, but his funk style would not have gone well in men's FS.

Mark Churella was an absolute hammer in college and a US top tier in senior FS but did not make the 1980 US Olympic team.

1980 - Moscow, Soviet Union
Bobby Weaver
FS
105.5 lbs.
DNC
Gene Mills
FS
114.5 lbs.
DNC
John Azevedo
FS
125.5 lbs.
DNC
Randy Lewis
FS
136.5 lbs.
DNC
Chuck Yagla
FS
149.5 lbs.
DNC
Leroy Kemp
FS
163 lbs.
DNC
Chris Campbell
FS
180.5 lbs.
DNC
Ben Peterson
FS
198 lbs.
DNC
Russ Hellickson
FS
220 lbs.
DNC
Greg Wojciechowski Hwt
1980 (Moscow, Soviet 

But... MDogg read it on Wikipedia, it must be true!