Sign in to follow this  
Panther78

Weight Certification

Realizing this has probably been hashed out by those experienced but I am curious how that works in college?

In high school.......it was just a hydration test and weigh in. A kid could lose 1.5% of their body weight according to the weight loss program on trackwrestling.

Just curious..thanks...................

Edited by Panther78

1 minute ago, Panther78 said:

Realizing this has probably been hashed out by those experienced but I am curious how that works in college?

In high school.......it was just a hydration test and weight in. A kid could lose 1.5% of their body weight according to the weight loss program on trackwrestling.

Just curious..thanks...................

High school is 1.5% per week all the way down to 7% bodyfat.

Just now, nhs67 said:

High school is 1.5% per week all the way down to 7% bodyfat.

Correct, I'm wondering about college....is there a universal locked in date everybody has to certify? Who does the certification for each team? Is the percentage the same/different? Is hydration and weight the only things tested/measured?

I was in high school when they started the hydration test, at least in my state. First time was intense because none of us really knew what to expect. Did we have to fully hydrate? Could we be a little dehydrated? Etc. most of us came in a bit too hydrated as our coach said we could risk our season if we tried to cut before the pee test

On 8/31/2019 at 4:42 AM, IronChef said:

Certify between first day of school and first competition

Can lose 1.5% of original weight per week down to 5% body fat

If you weigh in up a weight during the year, you have to follow the 1.5% rule to get back down

All exactly the same except the 5% body fat for college and 7% for high school then correct?

Thanks.............

Highschool once you cert, you get 2 weeks to cert again if you dont like the results or you fail hydration.  You can go below 7%, but you have to have a doctors note to go below.

College, you do not have to cert before the first competition; only YOUR first competition.  You can re-cert whenever.  If you go up 2 weights from where you certified, you are locked at the weight above your certification.

1 hour ago, olddirty said:

Highschool once you cert, you get 2 weeks to cert again if you dont like the results or you fail hydration.  You can go below 7%, but you have to have a doctors note to go below.

College, you do not have to cert before the first competition; only YOUR first competition.  You can re-cert whenever.  If you go up 2 weights from where you certified, you are locked at the weight above your certification.

High school certifications are different in every state. 

The majority do use Track and they are mostly unique in their specific rules although generally similar. There are a few that do their own thing and starting last year (I think) a few New England states started using a Flo version.

1 minute ago, gimpeltf said:

The majority do use Track and they are mostly unique in their specific rules although generally similar. There are a few that do their own thing and starting last year (I think) a few New England states started using a Flo version.

Does the FLO version require the wand or the Tanita?  Moving away from those rackets would be a good change.  Thanks for the info too Bob Dole

29 minutes ago, olddirty said:

Does the FLO version require the wand or the Tanita?  Moving away from those rackets would be a good change.  Thanks for the info too Bob Dole

No. I don't know a lot about it but I work with the Flo/KAPWrestling people a lot. If you go on the arena you might have noticed a lot of dual meets available. Those are mostly from the NE area where they use the FlOPC.

On 9/3/2019 at 9:39 AM, BobDole said:

High school certifications are different in every state. 

Why would we go through the steps of using track wrestling and their program just to have every state do things differently? What is the rationale? Just curious, here in AZ it is really tough just getting schools to do the "required" measures I can imagine that nation wide it could be a tough task to ask everybody to do the same thing?

1 hour ago, Panther78 said:

Why would we go through the steps of using track wrestling and their program just to have every state do things differently? What is the rationale? Just curious, here in AZ it is really tough just getting schools to do the "required" measures I can imagine that nation wide it could be a tough task to ask everybody to do the same thing?

Not sure what this means. Track OPC is geared to handle all those differences.

I coached in North Carolina, Ohio, and Arizona after hydration/body fat test became the rule.  However, each state was/is different.  For me, Ohio made the most sense,  NC the worst.  Of course, things may have changed some as I moved around.

On 8/31/2019 at 4:42 AM, IronChef said:

Certify between first day of school and first competition

Can lose 1.5% of original weight per week down to 5% body fat

If you weigh in up a weight during the year, you have to follow the 1.5% rule to get back down

Iron, Although it wasn't my sons certification day, his school did some testing and he weighed 185 with 5% body fat. Does that mean he can't go down any further? Thanks

8 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Iron, Although it wasn't my sons certification day, his school did some testing and he weighed 185 with 5% body fat. Does that mean he can't go down any further? Thanks

In Arizona no, he can't go down and would have to have a doctors note saying he was "naturally" 5% body fat kid. We actually had trouble with doctors because they would give the kid a physical to play sports and then on top of that be asked to fill out a special paper saying they were "naturally" 5% body fat..............the doctor already freaking gave the kid a physical to play sports.................they wouldn't sign the 5% note............

8 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

I assume you're talking about college, but if he weighs 185 at certification and is measured at 5%, then he can't go down at all. However, he and his coaches will likely have a strategy for the actual day of the certification to have him where they want him to be.

2 hours ago, IronChef said:

I assume you're talking about college, but if he weighs 185 at certification and is measured at 5%, then he can't go down at all. However, he and his coaches will likely have a strategy for the actual day of the certification to have him where they want him to be.

Correct he's in college.