nom

Zain / Yianni - Final X part 2 - match thread

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

I wish Yianni the same. 

If you can't see that your side handed out a load of grief all the way thru this on what really amounted to opinions then your are purposely blind. 

Zain beat Yianni every single time it mattered. Fact!

The finals of the US Open did not  matter?

Just now, buckshot1969 said:

No. The goal was to make the national team not win the US Open.

I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Yianni has  a freestyle national championship. But no one would want that.

15 minutes ago, airmail said:

Welp.  Was hoping for a 2nd match for my own entertainment this Labor Day.  Hoping Retherford gets it done at Worlds. Kind of a 'richard' move leaving Yanni hanging on the handshake at the end tho...

I'm sure cornell has some therapists to help him through it.

14 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

This. Zain was for sure the aggressor. And Yianni didn't create anything. 90% of what he does at this level is counter. Zain and NLWC have him figured out. 

They are literally trading matches back and forth. To say one has the other figured out is silly. 

Congrats to Zain on a great match and hopes for a medal!

couple thoughts 

-this wrestleoff was ideal for zain peaking for worlds. This pushed zain to improve. nobody at worlds will be more peaked then zain

- zain looked so jacked up and powerful at the end; if this was a folkstyle match how many minutes does zain ride yanni like a mule ? the whole damn match

- how good is pico ? he outhorsed and pushed around a ridiculously strong retherford

-yanni seems to respect the world more than he does zain. he seems fascinated with the world and not with zain. He needs to try to make the damn team first.

3 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

yanni seems to respect the world more than he does zain. he seems fascinated with the world and not with zain. He needs to try to make the damn team first.

He’s 20. Relax. 

1 minute ago, alliseeisgold said:

if zain comes out this focused and determined at worlds i think he wins the whole damn thing

I will be rooting for Zain but no way he wins. He won’t even get close to medaling. The weight is tough and he doesn’t have ways to score. 

8 minutes ago, buckshot1969 said:

No. The goal was to make the national team not win the US Open.

I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Yianni earned his spot on the national team by winning the US Open final.  So he achieved your stated goal with that win. The bigger goal is to make the world team.  The even bigger goal is to win a world title.  I’m surprised you thought the goal was so modest. 

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

He’s 20. Relax. 

well  his comments in interviews could be construed as not giving retherford the respect he deserves. It's always bajerang this , bajerang that, zain i just got sloppy, i'm not preparing for him i'm preparing for world competition. 

Zain deserves a big congratulations. Very few people had him as the winner vs yanni in this series.

if zain comes out this focused and determined at worlds i think he wins the whole damn thing

Zain is amongst the best in the world, I've heard some folks on here saying he isn't ready.  his last international loss was to two time World Silver Rashidov on a last second takedown.  He's right there.  

well  his comments in interviews could be construed as not giving retherford the respect he deserves. It's always bajerang this , bajerang that, zain i just got sloppy, i'm not preparing for him i'm preparing for world competition. 

Zain deserves a big congratulations. Very few people had him as the winner vs yanni in this series.

He does deserve big congratulations. I just think it’s funny people lashing on the guy for being 20 years old and focusing on beating the best in the world. Yes he needs to make the team first. But his trajectory is obviously working for him. So I think it’s funny when couch potatoes go on a message board talking about what he NEEDS to do. 

To each their own. 

Actually in the interviews I've seen yes he said he was sloppy but he always acknowledges how great Zain is.  

1 minute ago, TheWrestlingGonad said:

Zain is amongst the best in the world, I've heard some folks on here saying he isn't ready.  his last international loss was to two time World Silver Rashidov on a last second takedown.  He's right there.  

remember at yargin he had the russian beat and then just went into not to lose mode. His mindset has changed in this yanni series, the let it fly keep the pedal to the medal zain is a different zain.  Why are we not giving zain his respect? nobody would be saying yanni has no chance to medal. but they are about zain. Well yanni we know has beaten top guys in the world at the weight and zain just decisively beat yanni.  

It seems as if everybody thinks Yianni could win a WC this year but Zain won't even come close to a medal?  I guess if you hate Zain or PSU you don't have to make sense when you say this silly ****.

Edited by StallWarning

@alliseeisgold -- fairly said.  I think some anti-PSU bias colors views of Zain.  I'm with you, he has proven himself before and will again.  Beating Yianni here is a big deal.  

BTW -- to make your own posts look less biased ... It is Y I A N N I.   Not Yanni.