1 minute ago, nom said:

What I saw in Zain today was some additional great adjustments.  He and his team have been training him so well.  Gotta give credit where credit is due.  Some are worried about this being close to worlds, I'm thinking this was some extra motivation to get better leading into worlds.  I think he will do really well.

If 65 wasn't the toughest weight, and by a substantial margin, I'd be just as optimistic.

With 6-10 other legit medal threats, however, getting on the podium will likely require some luck.

6 minutes ago, OBXWrestler said:

Just because I thought Yianni would win doesn’t mean I didn’t think Zain could. 

I am just being honest in my assessment of Zain at the international level. He doesn’t have very many ways to score. He is similar to Metcalf. 

I have no idea whether Zain will medal. I hope he does. But Yianni has won  two international tournaments this year and he beat the  world #1 seed. I don't  think Zain has won any on the senior level. That  may be why Yianni seems more likely to medal.

13 minutes ago, OBXWrestler said:

Just because I thought Yianni would win doesn’t mean I didn’t think Zain could. 

I am just being honest in my assessment of Zain at the international level. He doesn’t have very many ways to score. He is similar to Metcalf. 

the metcalf argument is an interesting one. Metcalf in his prime I give a more than fair shot of beating Yanni and Retherford from today. He just housed everyone else domestically

And internationally metcalf was there. he beat top guys , he was winning the world cup every year. I just don't think he got it done on the bigger stage.  

12 minutes ago, tec87 said:

We?

I was speaking about we fans on the board in that first part. I was being criticized (when am I not here??) for my comment. I am basically saying that those who ripped us few PSU fans here all summer are getting a little payback. Just desserts. 

I don’t think he medals because of how insanely tough 65kg will be this year, but of all our reps this year not named Daton I’m going to be most interested to see how Zain does.

I was rooting for Yianni because he’s younger with a higher ceiling, and even if he wasn’t a likely medalist this year the experience could’ve helped make him a more of a title threat in Tokyo. I hope Zain proves me wrong when it comes to how relatively low I think his ceiling is on the international level. I’ll gladly eat crow on this one.

Edited by MDogg

6 minutes ago, TFBJR said:

You have to give Yianni props for how he handled himself.  All class and a great sportsman; kid was raised well. 

Same has to be said for Zain. His hand raised, then not, then injured, then still had to come back and win it again. I predicted a yianni win today, but if you’re going to give props to him for how he handled it, Zain had a much more difficult position to handle. 

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

I have no idea whether Zain will medal. I hope he does. But Yianni has won  two international tournaments this year and he beat the  world #1 seed. I don't  think Zain has won any on the senior level. 

Zain won the Grand Prix of Spain in 2017.  

1 hour ago, alliseeisgold said:

the metcalf argument is an interesting one. Metcalf in his prime I give a more than fair shot of beating Yanni and Retherford from today. He just housed everyone else domestically

And internationally metcalf was there. he beat top guys , he was winning the world cup every year. I just don't think he got it done on the bigger stage.  

It is a style comparison more than anything. Both have their go to attacks and don’t have many other ways to score outside of that which is a hard way to win on the international level against the top guys. 

22 minutes ago, OBXWrestler said:

It is a style comparison more than anything. Both have their go to attacks and don’t have many other ways to score outside of that which is a hard way to win on the international level against the top guys. 

I see people consistently putting this comparison up and I don’t get it. Zain scores in tons of different ways, watch his wins over Oliver and Molinaro to see that , Zain actually has way actual offense then yhanni...Yhanni is great defensively and scrambling but he doesn’t have a true go to shot...I get Zain matches aren’t typically that exciting like metclaf but he has a much larger arsenal

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Unbearable, I tell ya.

"Yianni had nothing for Zain".  It was 2-1, and Penn State fans are crowing like Zain teched him.  They can't just enjoy the well-earned win, they literally have to fabricate attacks against the opponent's ability.

PSU fan makes a kind of dumb "yianni had nothing for him" post.  Vak comes running in to throw a flag.

Non-PSU fan declares Yianni is still better and Zain will go 0-1 at worlds and Vak is strangely silent.  

2 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

It doesn’t matter who you would take against the field, Yianni won’t get the chance to prove for the next few years. 

I didnt know this match determined our representative for then next few years. That doesnt make much sense.

So are you trying to be as annoying as tbar generally is, or does it come naturally? 

Both wrestlers wrestled great, if you have paid attention to the back and forth they have been on at all, you would know that either can win the spot next year. 

I'm rooting for Zain at worlds but like another poster said, psu fans make it hard to root for their wrestlers.

4 minutes ago, boconnell said:

PSU fan makes a kind of dumb "yianni had nothing for him" post.  Vak comes running in to throw a flag.

Non-PSU fan declares Yianni is still better and Zain will go 0-1 at worlds and Vak is strangely silent.  

I can't quote every post.  Also that's an opinion that could very well happen to almost anybody in the world under the current repechage system.  I don't think Zain is likely to go 0-1, ut what if he gets like Russian in round 1?  I'll say it this way, 0-1 is not representative of where I think Zain is in the world pecking order.

5 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I can't quote every post.  Also that's an opinion that could very well happen to almost anybody in the world under the current repechage system.  I don't think Zain is likely to go 0-1, ut what if he gets like Russian in round 1?  I'll say it this way, 0-1 is not representative of where I think Zain is in the world pecking order.

I didn't say it was impossible he could go 0-1.  Just like it's far from impossible to describe that match as Yianni having nothing for Zain.  Both statements are purposely slanted by fan(atics).  I will say it's impossible to declare Yianni better after he lost repeatedly.  

My point was you jump all over PSU forum manners when there's a whole flock of idiots in every thread.  

Edited by boconnell