Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

So does Iowa Dual PSU this year? Predictions welcome

Well hopefully it happens, not sure what the outcome will be, partly because I don't know who will be in the lineup, but I think that the dual will generate a lot of energy and excitement. I think big time match ups like this are great for the sport as well the schools and all us fans. 

There are just so many teams in the big ten now that no team wrestles all the other teams.  Opponents rotate by year and everyone’s knows this.  I don’t think people thought Brands was avoiding this dual just that Iowa wouldn’t beat PSU in a dual last year and it happened to be a year where they do not meet. 

23 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

There are just so many teams in the big ten now that no team wrestles all the other teams.  Opponents rotate by year and everyone’s knows this.  I don’t think people thought Brands was avoiding this dual just that Iowa wouldn’t beat PSU in a dual last year and it happened to be a year where they do not meet. 

When fans talk about Brands avoiding PSU they are talking about an dual that would take place in years the two schools are not scheduled by the Big 10.

Several years ago Sanderson brought PSU to Carver in just such a year, but Brands has never brought Iowa to Rec Hall for a return dual despite several chances where the two schools were not scheduled by the league. 

8 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

When fans talk about Brands avoiding PSU they are talking about an dual that would take place in years the two schools are not scheduled by the Big 10.

Several years ago Sanderson brought PSU to Carver in just such a year, but Brands has never brought Iowa to Rec Hall for a return dual despite several chances where the two schools were not scheduled by the league. 

Yes I recall the twitter exchange and the scheduling of that dual. That was 5ish years ago and last year was the second opportunity to do it again since.   Fans shouldn’t expect it to happen every year.  

PSU wrestled the number two team in the Big Ten last year, Ohio State.  So I wouldn’t expect the same motivation from them to try and schedule this dual when Iowa doesn’t look to be one of the top two teams in the conference.   Iowa’s big ten schedule just happened to be especially weak. They didn’t wrestle Ohio State, Penn State, or Michigan.  

Iowa has a legit chance at breaking PSU’s ridiculous dual streak. 

6-0

9-0 (if desanto)

9-3 (desanto vs Lee would be fun. Desanto May win that)

12-3 (toss up)

12-6 (toss up)

15-6 (toss up)

15-9 (Hall favored but interesting)

15-12 (another interesting one)

18-12 (toss up)

18-17 (another fun one. Tech for Cassar? Or pin to win it?)

around 6 that could go either way. Super excited for this one. Will try to get tickets 

5 hours ago, Fishbane said:

Yes I recall the twitter exchange and the scheduling of that dual. That was 5ish years ago and last year was the second opportunity to do it again since.   Fans shouldn’t expect it to happen every year.  

PSU wrestled the number two team in the Big Ten last year, Ohio State.  So I wouldn’t expect the same motivation from them to try and schedule this dual when Iowa doesn’t look to be one of the top two teams in the conference.   Iowa’s big ten schedule just happened to be especially weak. They didn’t wrestle Ohio State, Penn State, or Michigan.  

Yeah but the whole world wanted that dual, if you are growing the sport you make it happen. It was widely accepted that Cael reached out last year and it didn't happen. 

31 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

It's a bad look for Brands if PSU beats them again.  He can't risk losing more PA recruits to Cael. 

All of Iowa's best wrestles (minus Marinelli) are from PA: Lee, DeSanto, Teasdale, Murin, Young and Kemmerer. 

Warner isn't from PA.  Lugo isn't from PA. Both are returning AA.  Cassiopi isn't from PA. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Ok, so 7/10 starters are from PA.  Without PA talent on the roster Iowa wouldn't be a top 10 team.

What's your predicted Iowa lineup?  Shouldn't there be 5 non-PA starters.  Lugo 149, Bull 165, Bitcoin 184, Warner 197, and Cassiopi 285.  Which two do you not see making the lineup and which PA guys take their spots?  

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

125 Lee (PA)

133 Teasdale (PA)

141 Desanto (PA)

149 Murin (PA)

157 Lugo

165 Marinelli

174 Kemerer (PA)

184 Young (PA)

197 Warner

285 Cass

Sorry, 6/10 starters are PA.

You have Kaleb Young and Kemerer both going up two weights?  That seems unlikely.  Still an Iowa team without all the PA guys would have Lugo, Brands, Marinelli, Bitcoin, Warner, and Cassiopi.  That's three returning AA and another 3 that could place which alone is probably a top 10 team.  Six starters from PA is more reasonable, but it could be 4.

125 Lee

133 Teasdale

141 Desanto

149 Lugo/Murin

157 Young/Brands

165 Marinelli/Kemerer

174 Kemerer/Marinelli

184 Bitcoin

197 Warner

285 Cassiopi

3 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Who cares if they have a lot of starters from PA? Its not a high school team. 

I don't care but it could explain why Brands is ducking Penn State.  If PA kids see PSU wallop Iowa in a dual they may think twice about heading to wrestle for Tommy B.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I don't care but it could explain why Brands is ducking Penn State.  If PA kids see PSU wallop Iowa in a dual they may think twice about heading to wrestle for Tommy B.

Good theory except for that peaky little fact that one doesn’t have to see a dual to quickly gain access to result of said dual. In fact one could be on the complete opposite side of the world....

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Good theory except for that peaky little fact that one doesn’t have to see a dual to quickly gain access to result of said dual. In fact one could be on the complete opposite side of the world....

Peaky, huh?

It isn't about whether a kid is physically present to watch a dual.  It's whether they see a head to head matchup between Iowa and PSU where one team dominates the other.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

LOL. Not ducking for starters and all the PA guys on the roster still went there even though they lost to Penn State before. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Peaky, huh?

It isn't about whether a kid is physically present to watch a dual.  It's whether they see a head to head matchup between Iowa and PSU where one team dominates the other.

*Pesky