Sign in to follow this  
LemonPie

Weight cert szn

2019-2020 Weight certifications starting to pop up on Trackwrestling's Weight Management feature

Checked up ASU and NCState since they typically like to start the cert process with their wrestlers are nice and fat to allow for more aggressive descent plans.  Other teams will wait closer to October where weight is in better control.  The closer to the season, the less reliable they are for guessing walk-around weight.  Sure enough, about half of the wrestlers on ASU and NCState were already certified

Either way, I like this feature because when the rosters are listed as follows, it gives you a general idea of how big a wrestler might be in the offseason/preseason (though for whatever reason, some rosters are only displayed as lowest weight class they are certified).

Gonna bump this thread as I see rosters filled out!

xCwqDT0.png

My interpretation here is that the wrestler is listed at whatever weight he would compete at with his current weigh-in.  So that gives you a range of 8-10 pounds for most of these dudes (save for 197 and 285).  For example, Jarrett Trombley is listed at 149, which means he certified somewhere between 141.1 and 149.0.  This would make sense for a 133 pounder.  

NCState thoughts:

• Tariq Wilson is big!  Though I think he certified while weighing over 149 last year, so makes sense that he is over 157 pounds right now.
  • Hayden Hidlay is never as big as I think he is, and yet Trent somehow gets bigger every single day.  The dude probably clears 200
  • Big cut for Camacho? Yikes

7Ks70Cg.png

Arizona State thoughts:

• Don't learn a ton here, but interesting info on Raimo, Busiello, and Chlebove.  Looks like Raimo in the 125/133 range with Busiello/Chlebove perhaps sliding into 141/149 eventually. 
Edited by LemonPie

Iowa State's are done as well.

*Edit: Disappointing to see Carr at 157. I wanted to see him give 163 a proper go for Oly-trials.  A season of cutting to 157 tells me he won't be as prepared for a 163 Oly-trial tournament weeks after the season is over.

Edited by nhs67
Added above...

15 hours ago, buckeyehomer said:

Lemonpie, you are correct. Tariq weighed over 157.0 Coaches do have the option to switch the listed weight to the weight class he intends to wrestle, but most don't.

I honestly don't see a big difference in 141 or 149 for Wilson. He'll be a high AA contender at either weight.

44 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Iowa State's are done as well.

*Edit: Disappointing to see Carr at 157. I wanted to see him give 163 a proper go for Oly-trials.  A season of cutting to 157 tells me he won't be as prepared for a 163 Oly-trial tournament weeks after the season is over.

you really think he could compete for an olympic team spot at that weight? If so why?

36 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

you really think he could compete for an olympic team spot at that weight? If so why?

I don't think anyone is beating Dake next year.

If Burroughs medals(which I believe he will) that means the battle is for 3rd.

While I definitely wouldn't favor him over the field, the matches are wrestled for a reason. He just brought home Junior Gold and has a more extensive freestyle repertoire than Lewis, yet Lewis is also being considered.

Upsets can and will happen, as injuries do as well.

All this being said I would out him right in that tier of 6-10 guys right below IMart who, with the right draw or upsets, could make a deep run.

jq3AIK2.png

Some Ohio State certs trickling in.  Still waiting on Ke-Shawn, which is probably the most intriguing cert

Notes:

• Jacob Decatur (not to be confused with Jordan) is tiny.  He may not be 5 feet tall.  He basically has no chance.  Hope he gets a couple years in the room and transfers to a DII or DIII school and finds some success
  • Heinselman is at least on his way to becoming a decent sized 125
  • If Hayes can't/won't go 141, I wonder if Pletcher campaigns to enter the mix.  He could win it at 141, and 133 probably isn't an easy cut. 
  • Cleary and Mattox probably in the 157 mix
  • Tough cut for Kaleb if he intends on going back to 165.  

Edited by LemonPie

39 minutes ago, LemonPie said:

Zahid has certified.  Not exactly breaking news that he intends to wrestle 184, but notable that he weighed in at over 197

VIP0jyL.png

Here's a thought...

What if Zahid went 197? He wouldn't have to cut much, if any, by season's end, BUT if he could focus on gaining functional size at 195-200 it may be his best bet at 86kg(189lbs) next summer.

We found out after the season that Bo weighed about 195 at season's end and had no difficulty in outclassing the field. Zahid is of that same tier of talent.

What are the chances this is the case? It does give them their best peak points with Norfleet down at 184.