gowrestle

Did Koll Ruin Yianni?

7 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Let’s stick to putting the troll threads on the college board in the offseason. 

Thousands of dollars were spent on legal fees. Thousands  wrestling fans weighed in someway. Unprecedented media coverage. The disputed match is still disputed. 

Should Koll have said to Yianni, “Sometimes you just get screwed. We will work so hard that next time it won’t even be close!”

Not trolling, just interested in the thoughts of Internet smart guys. 

I have stated previously that I did not think the errors that occurred in match 2 back in June warranted an arbitration event. The errors were basically made by the Chair,  and the eventual brick challenge, while obviously well beyond 5 seconds, seemed reasonable given the fact the score was obviously wrong. I said this because had there not been a brick challenge, the score was still wrong and was likely going to get reviewed anyway. Even had the Chair huddled the 3 man crew, the referee delegate could have of his own accord, I believe, reviewed all of it. Or, had the Chair huddled the 3 man crew and changed the score because 2-2 was not allowed, then since the score changed I think a brick would have or could have been deemed allowable. 

In any event, the whole wrestling world got taken down a path that obviously had a very big impact on Zain and to date there is no evidence that I can see that anything is completely clear except that one arbitrator, in his opinion, has ruled the brick toss was too late. This will likely lead to even more arbitration down the road. Don't view this as positive for the sport.

In the end Zain won, so I am glad the result itself ended up standing. 

Edited by TBar1977

No Yianni will continue to get better and Koll gave him another opportunity to make the team.  While I wasn't a fan of this whole process, it should make the majority of us feel that Zain should be our team member.

ps.  Plus it gives a few Cali fans the opportunity to start Pico threads again.:)

It's absurd to say that Yianni will be haunted or that he was making excuses. Just look at his interviews.  He  accepts responsibility for his loss and vows  to improve. The kid lost to Zain by criteria in Final X (if he lost at all) and lost 2-1 yesterday. Once he gets a but more  strength, he will beat Zain consistently.

It's a World Team.  There's plenty of years left for Yianni to make one and represent our country.  It's not like his NCAA career where he only has 2 more years of wrestling eligibility left.

Edited by CA_Wrestler

4 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Thousands of dollars were spent on legal fees. Thousands  wrestling fans weighed in someway. Unprecedented media coverage. The disputed match is still disputed. 

Should Koll have said to Yianni, “Sometimes you just get screwed. We will work so hard that next time it won’t even be close!”

Not trolling, just interested in the thoughts of Internet smart guys. 

Although I don't think Yianni's anywhere near ruined, I'm not sure going through that process was necessarily as wise as I once thought.

Yianni's obviously mentally tough, and very bright, but in the aftermath of the arbitrator ruling, the pressure must have been intense.  Although untrue, I'm sure he also feels like he let his fans, and everyone who believed in him down.

Regardless, I'm sure he'll back later this fall, and probably improved.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

It's absurd to say that Yianni will be haunted or that he was making excuses. Just look at his interviews.  He  accepts responsibility for his loss and vows  to improve. The kid lost to Zain by criteria in Final X (if he lost at all) and lost 2-1 yesterday. Once he gets a but more  strength, he will beat Zain consistently.

He lost 10-4 and 2-1 to Zain actually ,funny how people always leave that match out ...idk what you’ve seen from yhanni that shows he’s gonna own Zain ...zain lost the open because he took a shot with 20 seconds left and Yanni scored , Zain then won both final X matches 10-4 (the only one that stayed official ) and just shut out yanni after months of bs .Zain has the best practice partners and coaches in the country you really have to be a yanni fan club member or just hate penn state to think he’s just gonna pass up Zain. As a wrestling fan I figure we ll see them go back and forth for atleast another cycle but to think one of them is just gonna blow past the other is a pretty ridiculous take especially when Zain has won 3 matches up and lost 1 on a last second takedown off his own shot 

5 hours ago, jon said:

I'm no fan of Koll but I say when it comes to Final X recourse Koll & co. in the right. Match #2 process screwy. This is what arbitration is for. 

We become Iran in regard to challenges

57 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He lost 10-4 and 2-1 to Zain actually ,funny how people always leave that match out ...idk what you’ve seen from yhanni that shows he’s gonna own Zain ...zain lost the open because he took a shot with 20 seconds left and Yanni scored , Zain then won both final X matches 10-4 (the only one that stayed official ) and just shut out yanni after months of bs .Zain has the best practice partners and coaches in the country you really have to be a yanni fan club member or just hate penn state to think he’s just gonna pass up Zain. As a wrestling fan I figure we ll see them go back and forth for atleast another cycle but to think one of them is just gonna blow past the other is a pretty ridiculous take especially when Zain has won 3 matches up and lost 1 on a last second takedown off his own shot 

They're 2-2, and each has a fairly one-sided win.  No need to discount the Open match.

Otherwise, I agree that it's unlikely one will suddenly outclass the other.  Yianni may have more ways to score, but Zain's offense is clearly effective, and not just domestically.

Yianni's defense is incredible, but not perfect, he'll give up less points if opponents can't get in on his legs (and he shouldn't have to rely on sitting the corner to score).  After yesterday's, he also needs to setup his attacks better.  All the offense in the world is worthless if you can't use it, and whenever he's been able to get in on Zain's legs consistently, he's won.  

11 minutes ago, whaletail said:

They're 2-2, and each has a fairly one-sided win.  No need to discount the Open match.

Otherwise, I agree that it's unlikely one will suddenly outclass the other.  Yianni may have more ways to score, but Zain's offense is clearly effective, and not just domestically.

Yianni's defense is incredible, but not perfect, he'll give up less points if opponents can't get in on his legs (and he shouldn't have to rely on sitting the corner to score).  After yesterday's, he also needs to setup his attacks better.  All the offense in the world is worthless if you can't use it, and whenever he's been able to get in on Zain's legs consistently, he's won.  

Wasn’t discounting it, yhanni clearly won, just pointing out that people act like he dominated Zain but I believe 2 of his takedowns were sitting the corner off of zains shot and Zain was up 1 with like 20 seconds left , just pointing out how close that match was as well and how absurd it is to think one of these guys barring injury is just gonna start wrecking the other. A lot of hate on here about Zain the last few months and the guy was one of the most dominating wrestlers of the last 20 years and was a quiet humble guy the whole time.The level of hate for the guy and his wrestling is unreal to me 

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Wasn’t discounting it, yhanni clearly won, just pointing out that people act like he dominated Zain but I believe 2 of his takedowns were sitting the corner off of zains shot and Zain was up 1 with like 20 seconds left , just pointing out how close that match was as well and how absurd it is to think one of these guys barring injury is just gonna start wrecking the other. A lot of hate on here about Zain the last few months and the guy was one of the most dominating wrestlers of the last 20 years and was a quiet humble guy the whole time.The level of hate for the guy and his wrestling is unreal to me 

I really don't think the hate was directed at Zain (after all, he did nothing wrong), but at those who brushed aside the obvious match 2 issues.

That said, many of us, myself included, didn't give Zain the respect he was due, and we're now eating our words.