Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Was Lewis over Joseph the most dominant upset at NCAAs ever?

Top 5 dominant upsets for sure. Don’t be surprised if he duplicates his success on the senior FS level. I expect a few hiccups in his first couple of tourneys due to his lack of experience. But come oly trials time, I think he knocks off a big name or two 

On 9/4/2019 at 11:12 AM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Taylor was only a freshman, although heralded. Jenkins had made the finals before so not really a shocker to see him there again.

Would have been interesting if Bubba didn’t catch Taylor. 

32 minutes ago, RoadrunnerPride said:

Gadson over Snyder. Not many saw that one coming. 

Disagree.  Gadson was the best 197 that year(except maybe J'Den and certainly at that tournament) and basically big brother'd Snyder.  Remember, he beat Snyder earlier in the year as well.

Also, Gadson was 2 months shy of 23 at that point and Snyder was 19. Truly, Gadson was arguably the most dominant at that NCAA Tournament.

#1 Snyder, Kyle (30 - 4)#2 Ohio State03/19NCAA Championships197WFALL4:24

#7 Hartmann, Conner (29 - 5)#43 Duke03/19NCAA Championships197WDEC4 - 1

#41 Abro, Anthony (26 - 13)#55 Eastern Michigan03/19NCAA Championships197WFALL4:55

#49 Minto, Basil (21 - 16)#37 Northern Iowa03/19NCAA Championships197WTF419 - 4 7:00

#6 Burak, Nathan (24 - 7)#1 Iowa03/19NCAA Championships197WMD12 - 2

If you didn't see that coming, you weren't paying attention that tournament, let alone that season

Edited by MSU158

4 hours ago, RoadrunnerPride said:

I should have said nobody in Maryland saw that coming lol

I was thinking 30-15 in just over 1 min but yea guess my bias is showing

Gadson did dominate though that’s for sure. 

What is this??? Someone acknowledging that they might not be 100% correct on themat.com? I must be misreading this post on my tiny screen. Also, what does this have to do with Penn State? Can't wait for Tbar to chime in.

On 9/4/2019 at 3:18 PM, gimpeltf said:

Yes, although maybe he didn't realize by how much. He asked Mr. Perri (the ref) what the score was. He was visibly stunned when he got the answer. 14-10 iirc, but Gable had two minutes rt coming. I don't think he knew he gave up the predicament for 2 near the edge. I think he figured with RT it was tied and he'd take it into ot. 

He definitely had a shocked look on his face, when he realized what the score was.  I actually have this match in my video library....got it from Ken Kraft, the coach at NWestern at that time, where the NCAA's were held that year in McGaw Hall.

On 9/4/2019 at 2:18 PM, gimpeltf said:

Yes, although maybe he didn't realize by how much. He asked Mr. Perri (the ref) what the score was. He was visibly stunned when he got the answer. 14-10 iirc, but Gable had two minutes rt coming. I don't think he knew he gave up the predicament for 2 near the edge. I think he figured with RT it was tied and he'd take it into ot. 

Man, you're sure showing your age using that term.

On 9/5/2019 at 12:33 PM, okwrestle said:

Mark Shultz moves up to 177 and beats defending champ Banach 16-8 in 1982 finals

That match was A LOT closer than the final score indicates. It was actually 10-8 with 25 seconds left in the match when Banach went for a desperation throw and put himself on his back.

Edited by MDogg