Sign in to follow this  
JP158

USA Wrestling Making World Team Pay for Travel

USA Wrestling should be ashamed of themselves...They are making the U23 World Team Members pay their own way to the World Championships. How can this be???  I doubt Russia or Iran do this!!  Step Up USA Wrestling and Pay for the Trips for All World Team Members. 

before all the outrage takes over this thread, i would just like to make sure everyone on this forum has their USA membership card, right?

if USAW could i dream of genie all the cash they needed to send all the wrestlers to wherever, i'm sure they would... i bet U15 kids would not have had to pay for their own trip... cadet world team kids would not have had to pay for their trip... all the age group pan am kids... etc. etc. etc.

face it, U23 is just not prestigious enough to justify a subsidized trip when money has to be spent at least somehwat frugally...

In a revenue constrained sport like wrestling tough decisions have to be made. I personally think the money would be (or is) better spent on senior level depth guys than U23. 

I’d rather the money be spent on our 2nd and 3rd best guys at the senior level who happen to be 24 than our 7th best guy who happens to be 22. 

I get the development value of U23, and in a perfect, cash flush world it would be covered by USAW...but that ain’t the financial reality.