Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

If/when Yianni wins 4 NCAA titles...

2 hours ago, jon said:

This topic ridiculous but I'll take the bait...

Dake number one: Four years, four weights, balls of steel, a winner despite his attending Cornell lol.

Multiple losses though.

Yianni only has 1 career loss.  What if he finishes 130-1 with 4 titles?  I would put him above Dake then.

27 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Multiple losses though.

Yianni only has 1 career loss.  What if he finishes 130-1 with 4 titles?  I would put him above Dake then.

Through two years Yianni has the same number of NCAA titles and loses as IMAR.  I would rank Dake's NCAA career ahead of IMAR's though IMAR had fewer career losses. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Multiple losses though.

If Yianni's career continued at his current rate wouldn't he be on pace to finish with 2 career loses and 4 titles?  In two years he has two titles and a 66-1 record.  Shouldn't that make for 132-2 and 4 titles over a 4 year career?  

1 minute ago, Fishbane said:

If Yianni's career continued at his current rate wouldn't he be on pace to finish with 2 career loses and 4 titles?  In two years he has two titles and a 66-1 record.  Shouldn't that make for 132-2 and 4 titles over a 4 year career?  

I was just spitballing.  But even finishing 132-2 results in a better W-L record than Dake.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I was just spitballing.  But even finishing 132-2 results in a better W-L record than Dake.

Yeah, but that's only one thing.  Dake would have more wins overall; 137 to Yianni's 132.  Yianni is also on pace to win 0 Hodge trophies and Dake has 1.  Dake won titles at 4 different weights and Yianni is only on pace to win titles at 1.  You don't think more wins and more Hodges trump a 1.3% difference in career winning percentage?

Edited by Fishbane

Weren't people doing this after Imar's freshman year when he was gonna be the next Cael? Or after Vincenzo's second title? Turns out, you can't put someone on an all-time list when you don't know what their all-time accomplishments are yet. However, I'm going to contradict myself and say that when it's all said and done, Jimmy Cinnabon will go down as one of the worst all-time posters.

26 minutes ago, Griff the BullRam said:

Weren't people doing this after Imar's freshman year when he was gonna be the next Cael? Or after Vincenzo's second title? Turns out, you can't put someone on an all-time list when you don't know what their all-time accomplishments are yet. However, I'm going to contradict myself and say that when it's all said and done, Jimmy Cinnabon will go down as one of the worst all-time posters.

Or is he an all star poster?  He has started 9 of the 25 most recent threads in the college forum. 

Tough go.  Dake was a 4 timer and was enrolled in an Ivy League academic program and he did it as a true frosh.  Most people who attend state schools don't understand the academic rigors of elite private schools and Dake pulled it all off at 4 different weights.

Yianni is in the SUNY Ag school program and it looks like he is taking an Olympic redshirt.

Both are arguable against Sanderson because he never wrestled the NCAA tournament as a true freshman.  Plus, and this I can guarantee you, Cael never had the academic rigors Dake did....period.  It not like Cael was in engineering while at ISU and like I said...I've done both and most people don't understand the difference between normal state school academics and elite private schools.

Edited by Boompa

34 minutes ago, Boompa said:

Tough go.  Dake was a 4 timer and was enrolled in an Ivy League academic program and he did it as a true frosh.  Most people who attend state schools don't understand the academic rigors of elite private schools and Dake pulled it all off at 4 different weights.

Yianni is in the SUNY Ag school program and it looks like he is taking an Olympic redshirt.

Both are arguable against Sanderson because he never wrestled the NCAA tournament as a true freshman.  Plus, and this I can guarantee you, Cael never had the academic rigors Dake did....period.  It not like Cael was in engineering while at ISU and like I said...I've done both and most people don't understand the difference between normal state school academics and elite private schools.

We get it, you went to an elite private school.

Edited by 1032004

Even assuming Dake did more schoolwork, that does not make him a better wrestler. Dake's wrestling is judged according to his wrestling, not according to his courseload or, for that matter, the  amount of time he spent feeding the hungry, healing the sick or walking his dog.

5 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Even assuming Dake did more schoolwork, that does not make him a better wrestler. Dake's wrestling is judged according to his wrestling, not according to his courseload or, for that matter, the  amount of time he spent feeding the hungry, healing the sick or walking his dog.

Agreed.  If one's course load was truly a determining factor then lets put Adam Coon up as the greatest heavyweight in history because he studied aerospace engineering.    

One thing folks have seemingly forgotten, when factoring in rates/pace here is that Dake won 4 titles in 4 years immediately following completion of high school, with an average of 1.0 per year.  Johnny looks to be on pace to complete 4 titles in 5 years, putting him at a rate of 0.8 titles per year.  A rate 20% lower than Dake's rate.  That is significant.