Katie

2019 Worlds: Make your predictions

Who do you think will win gold? How do you think our rep will do?

Here's how I see it:

• 57kg - Sanayev (Fix DNP)
  • 61kg - Bonne (Graff DNP)
  • 65kg - Otoguru (Zain DNP)
  • 70kg - Batirov (Green DNP)
  • 74kg - Burroughs
  • 79kg - Dake
  • 86kg - Yazdani (PD3 DNP)
  • 92kg - Cox 
  • 97kg - Sadulaev (Snyder silver)
  • 125kg- Petriashvili (Gwiz bronze)
Edited by Katie

125) Fix-Bronze

134) Graff-5th

143) Retherford-Gold

154) Green-5th

163) Burroughs-Bronze

174) Dake-Gold

189) Downey-5th

202) Cox-Gold

213) Snyder-Bronze

276) Gwiz-5th

I have high hopes we will only lose to medalists.

3 hours ago, qc8223 said:

Apparently, not even that as they don't have a 57 kg entrant which is weird because their guy is a title contender.

According to the UWW's entry list, here are Cuba's men's freestyle entries:

• 61kg: Bonne
  • 65kg: Valdez
  • 74kg: Garzon
  • 86kg: Torreblanca
Edited by Katie

My Predictions

57 Kg - G - Atli (Turk), S - Ugaev (Rus),  Bz - Fix (USA) & Takashi (Jap)

61 Kg - G - Idrasov (Rus), S - Eshanpour (Iran), Bz - Lomatadze (Geo) & Aware (Ind)  Graff 5th

65 Kg - G - Ottaguro (Jap ), S - Retherford (USA), Bz - Aliev (Azb) & Rashidov (Rus)

70Kg -  - Iakobishvilli(Geo), S - Kaya (Turk), Bz - Baitriov( Bah) & Kaiponov (Kaz)  Green Not in top 6

74 Kg - G- JB (USA) does it again , S - Chamizo  (Itl), Bz - Sidakov (Rus) & Abdurakmonov (Uzbk)

79Kg - G - Dake (USA), S - Kontonaglu (Turk), z - Kentchadze ( Geo) & Hasanov (Azb)

86Kg  G - Yazdani (Iran), S - Aminashevilli (Geo), Bz - Naifonov (Rus) & Torreblaca (Cuba)  PD3 Not in top 6

92 Kg G - Cox (USA) S - Karimi (Iran) Bz - Sharifov (Azb) & Yankouski (Bel)

97Kg G - Sadulaev (Rus) S - Snyder (USA) Hope that one goes the other way Bz - Okadadze (Geo) & Albatrov (Ukr)

125 Kg  G - Akgul (Turk)  S- Petroshivelli (Geo), Bz Gwiz (USA) & Deng (Chn)

45 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

My Predictions

57 Kg - G - Atli (Turk), S - Ugaev (Rus),  Bz - Fix (USA) & Takashi (Jap)

61 Kg - G - Idrasov (Rus), S - Eshanpour (Iran), Bz - Lomatadze (Geo) & Aware (Ind)  Graff 5th

65 Kg - G - Ottaguro (Jap ), S - Retherford (USA), Bz - Aliev (Azb) & Rashidov (Rus)

70Kg -  - Iakobishvilli(Geo), S - Kaya (Turk), Bz - Baitriov( Bah) & Kaiponov (Kaz)  Green Not in top 6

74 Kg - G- JB (USA) does it again , S - Chamizo  (Itl), Bz - Sidakov (Rus) & Abdurakmonov (Uzbk)

79Kg - G - Dake (USA), S - Kontonaglu (Turk), z - Kentchadze ( Geo) & Hasanov (Azb)

86Kg  G - Yazdani (Iran), S - Aminashevilli (Geo), Bz - Naifonov (Rus) & Torreblaca (Cuba)  PD3 Not in top 6

92 Kg G - Cox (USA) S - Karimi (Iran) Bz - Sharifov (Azb) & Yankouski (Bel)

97Kg G - Sadulaev (Rus) S - Snyder (USA) Hope that one goes the other way Bz - Okadadze (Geo) & Albatrov (Ukr)

125 Kg  G - Akgul (Turk)  S- Petroshivelli (Geo), Bz Gwiz (USA) & Deng (Chn)

No Sanayev at 57kg? No Bonne at 61kg? No Bajrang at 65kg? No Oliynik at 79kg? No Shabani at 97kg? 

Edited by The Genius

57 Fix, Silver or Bronze

61 Graff, Bronze to 5th 

65 Zain, Bronze to 5th

70 Green, a long shot to a Bronze

74 JB, Silver or Bronze

79 Dake, Gold

86, PD3, Bronze or 5th ( probably going 2-2 )

92, Cox, Gold

97, SnyderMan, Gold 

125, Gwizz, Silver or Bronze

9 hours ago, Katie said:

Who do you think will win gold? How do you think our rep will do?

Here's how I see it:

• 57kg - Sanayev (Fix DNP)
  • 61kg - Bonne (Graff DNP)
  • 65kg - Otoguru (Zain DNP)
  • 70kg - Batirov (Green DNP)
  • 74kg - Burroughs
  • 79kg - Dake
  • 86kg - Yazdani (PD3 DNP)
  • 92kg - Cox 
  • 97kg - Sadulaev (Snyder silver)
  • 125kg- Petriashvili (Gwiz bronze)

Nice...I agree with most of it except 65kg and 74kg. I am picking Bajrang for 65kg and Sidakov for 74kg (JB Bronze). I also think Fix medals!

Disclaimer-Not a troll job here... honest question: Has Downey beaten any non-American on the senior circuit the last 6 months? Follow-up then would be how many and from where?

Then a follow-up question to @de4856: With that amount of 'successs' what makes you believe he'll win 2 at the World Championships?

I know why I believe he has a great chance to qualify our weight. I am curious of other folk's reasonings.

Edited by nhs67
I have fat fingers and need to spellcheck.

57:  Uguev  

61:  Idrisov/Gvarzalitov

65:  Rashidov/Otoguro/Aliyev - really tough weight

70:  Baev

74:  Sidakov

79:  Dake

86:  Yazdani  (hopefully Naifonov gets a silver, or bronze at the very least)

92:  Cox

97:  Sadulaev

125:  Akgul  (hope Petriashvili gets a gold, but silver is more reasonable - when both are healthy, Akgul is just better)

23 hours ago, Katie said:

According to the UWW's entry list, here are Cuba's men's freestyle entries:

• 61kg: Bonne
  • 65kg: Valdez
  • 74kg: Garzon
  • 86kg: Torreblanca

Excited to see Garzon! One of my all-time favorites. I'm sure he's a shell of his former self, but it will be fun to see. Has to at least be solid for Cuba to send him in a year they're not sending a full team.

Guys Downey can win 1 maybe 2 matches. He isn’t  whiffing the bronze match. This weight has at least 8 guys on a different level than him. He can maybe bet half the field, and that is being generous. There are 6 returning medalists, Nafrisov who is probably top 3 in the field, the junior world champ from India who is super young and just beat Downey, Shabanau would be a huge favorite...Downey is going to need to be top side and get a super lucky draw to make it to the quarters. 

I’ve defending Downey on here and I’m happy for him, but this isn’t like the Colon situation last year. Colon had the offense to make it interesting, and while he was not likely to medal, we knew with the dream draw he could do it. 

Downey is more likely to go 0-1 than 2-2 imo 

On 9/6/2019 at 10:08 PM, Eagle26 said:

57- Ugaev

61 - Idrisov

65 - Otoguro 

70 - Baev

74 - Burroughs 

79 -  Dake 

86 - Yazdani

92 - Cox

97 - Sadulaev 

125 - Petriashvili

How good do you think Baev is? Could he make the Olympic team next year at 74?

55 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Guys Downey can win 1 maybe 2 matches. He isn’t  whiffing the bronze match. This weight has at least 8 guys on a different level than him. He can maybe bet half the field, and that is being generous. There are 6 returning medalists, Nafrisov who is probably top 3 in the field, the junior world champ from India who is super young and just beat Downey, Shabanau would be a huge favorite...Downey is going to need to be top side and get a super lucky draw to make it to the quarters. 

I’ve defending Downey on here and I’m happy for him, but this isn’t like the Colon situation last year. Colon had the offense to make it interesting, and while he was not likely to medal, we knew with the dream draw he could do it. 

Downey is more likely to go 0-1 than 2-2 imo 

I agree that it is unlikely that Downey makes it to the Bronze medal match - However the way international tournaments are set up it is possible that someone who isn't really a top ten guy could get to wrestle for a medal.  If you are lucky to get drawn early against a guy good enough to make the finals then it is a matter of beating whoever that guy had to go through up through the quarter finals.  With a really lucky draw PD3 could find his way to the top 6.  I do agree that it is rather unlikely.  But it is easier to do (and more luck dependent )in these international tournaments than it is with a legitimate wrestleback system like in NCAAs.

4 hours ago, Housebuye said:

How good do you think Baev is? Could he make the Olympic team next year at 74?

Honestly, he’s probably my least confident pick. I think he is very good but it’s more about 70 being a relatively weak weight. Even if he does win worlds this year, I would still have him as a very slim chance to make the Olympic team at 74. He would have to go through Sidakov, Kurbanaliev, Tsabolov, and Gazimagomedov. Those four are all good enough to win the Olympics, so thats a tall order for anyone! Of Burroughs/Dake are both good enough to win too, and I’ll be routing for them, but Russia is also stacked at 74

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

Honestly, he’s probably my least confident pick. I think he is very good but it’s more about 70 being a relatively weak weight. Even if he does win worlds this year, I would still have him as a very slim chance to make the Olympic team at 74. He would have to go through Sidakov, Kurbanaliev, Tsabolov, and Gazimagomedov. Those four are all good enough to win the Olympics, so thats a tall order for anyone! Of Burroughs/Dake are both good enough to win too, and I’ll be routing for them, but Russia is also stacked at 74

Thanks. For sure Russia is stacked. I was putting him around 4th or 5th on the Russia ladder at 74, but then I thought I was underestimating  him.

I think he wins 70kg this year too. Wouldn’t it be crazy for a returning world champ just 1 weight up to be 5th best on their own team the following year? So crazy. 

4 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I agree that it is unlikely that Downey makes it to the Bronze medal match - However the way international tournaments are set up it is possible that someone who isn't really a top ten guy could get to wrestle for a medal.  If you are lucky to get drawn early against a guy good enough to make the finals then it is a matter of beating whoever that guy had to go through up through the quarter finals.  With a really lucky draw PD3 could find his way to the top 6.  I do agree that it is rather unlikely.  But it is easier to do (and more luck dependent )in these international tournaments than it is with a legitimate wrestleback system like in NCAAs.

I hear you, and at most weights this would be true. 86 is just nuts this year, partially because it is the year before the Olympics. If Downey was at 79kg, he has a legitimate shot at medaling with a good draw, similar to Colon last year. 

At 86? Legit 10 guys who will smash him and possibly more that will beat him. It is also a super weird weight in that there are 45 entries, so with the way bracketing works, there will be 14 on one side and 29 on the other. 2 on each side are locked up due to seeding, each with byes. All 4 are in those 10 that will smash Downey, which actually helps him. So...

Downey is around 70% likely to be drawn on the side with 29 people. That means he may have a winnable first match, as 40% of the people favored over him have byes in the first. 

Downey will likely have to beat at least but up to 3 guys that are heavy favorites over him, just to make the semis, which means he wrestles for a medal. Downey is just not the type of guy to pull off upsets in general, let alone multiple in a row against world class guys. He doesnt have the style or stamina for it. The guys who pull off that stuff mostly do it by crushing their opponent’s spirit and keeping a high attack rate late. I don’t know if Downey has ever done that. 

If Downey gets super lucky and is pulled onto the side with 14 guys, he is likely a favorite in round 1, as lost of the better guys will be on the other side. He would then have to either beat Erdin or Punia in the quarters most likely to make the medal match. He isn’t doing that most likely, but he theoretically could beat Punia (he does have a loss to him recently). It would only take 1 major upset for him to make a medal match though, so that’s good. If he loses to Erdin or Punia, the guy he loses to has to beat the other. Erdin is a fairly heavy favorite over Punia, so it might be better if he faces Erdin in the semis. 

Even if that occurred, he most likely would then have to beat the other guy for bronze, so medaling, even with the perfect draw and being extremely lucky to be in the comparitively easy side of the bracket, would still be extremely unlikely to medal (2 huge upsets needed plus possibly another upset or two). He does however at least have a chance to qualify the weight. 

I hate it when America has to rely on a lucky draw just to qualify. Downey is maybe top 5 domestically. Maybe. I’m rooting for him, he earned the spot and I hope this post is laughable come worlds, but I’m pretty confident I’m right here.