Katie

2019 Worlds: Make your predictions

57kg - Takahashi (Fix-5th)
61kg - YBR (Graff DNP)
65kg - Rashidov [or Aliyev/Khiche/Otoguro it’s impossible to tell w/o brackets (Zain DNP)
70kg - Baev (Green 3rd)
74kg - Burroughs
79kg - Dake
86kg - Yazdani (Downey DNP)
92kg - Cox
97kg - Sadulaev (Snyder 2nd)
125kg- Akgul (Gwiz 3rd)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 57kg - Japan (Fix DNP)
  • 61kg - Japan  (Graff DNP)
  • 65kg - Russia (Zain DNP)
  • 70kg - Georgia (Green DNP)
  • 74kg - Burroughs
  • 79kg - Dake
  • 86kg - Iran (PD3 DNP)
  • 92kg - Cox 
  • 97kg - Russia (Snyder silver)
  • 125kg- Turkey (Gwiz bronze)
Edited by Housebuye

8 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

57: Uguev

61: The Japanese wrestler. Can't remember his name. 

65: Otoguru

70: Baev

74: Sidakov

79: Dake

86: Naifanov

92: Cox

97: Sadulaev

125: Akguuuuuuul

I am with this; except at 61 I think Idrisov will get it and at 86, I sadly cannot see Naifonov beating Yazdani.  Good list.  

FS:

57kg: 50/50 between Uguev and Amiraslanov. I'll go with Uguev this time.

61kg: Bonne (close with Idrisov and Hamaguchi though).

65kg: Stacked division, hard to choose between Otoguru, Aliyev and Rashidov. I'll go with Otoguru, kid's a machine.

70kg: Very weak division, I think Kaipanov will win. 

74kg: Toss up between JB and Sidakov. Both are on form but I'm going with Sidakov

79kg: Dake easy again in a weak division.

86kg: Yazdani easy.

92kg: Cox easy.

97kg: Sadulaev easy.

130kg: Toss up between Geno and Taha obviously but I think Akgul is back on form and should win this year.

Edited by The Genius

I have most of my picks now, but 57 and 65 are driving me nuts. IMO, this year 57 is just like 65 where 10 different guys can win it, and Daton is one of them. Sanayev (KAZ) will definitely be one of the favorites in front of the home crowd and might meet #1 Atli (TUR) (one of my favorites to win it) in the semis. Picking Uguev (RUS) not to win gold this year but still not sure who to pick to win.

........will be back

General thoughts on Team USA:

57 - Fix.  I think lightning can strike here.  He is world class by every measure.  Ceiling:. Gold.

61kg - Graff.  Journeyman cinderella story of sorts.  I can see him winning a few.  Ceiling:. DNP

65kg - Zain.  Motivated.  We've had a drought.  65 is a meat grinder.  Ceiling: Bronze 

70kg - Green.  Will this be his last hurrah?  Does he want to continue?  Has all the talent in the world, but can he put it together?  Ceiling: Bronze 

74kg - JB.  Nuff said.  Ceiling: Gold.

79kg - Dake. Nuff said.  Ceiling: Gold.

86kg - Downey.  I can't help but think that even though he became our rep, that he had Lady luck on his side the entire time.  I wish good things, and humility, for Downey.  But... I think he's going to have a rough time of it. Ceiling:. DNP

92kg - Cox.  His legend status is only beginning.  Ceiling: Gold.

97kg - Snyder.  He is a legend.  But, another legend is there.  Shall we see part 3?  I sure hope so.  Ceiling is gold, but predict a silver to Sad.

125kg - Gwiz.  He's the third best heavyweight in the world in my humble opinion.  Those other two are monsters.  Ceiling: Bronze.

3 hours ago, The Genius said:

Gwiz can't even beat Deng, please calm down, Gwiz is barely a top 6 HW. 

He's really not a top 6 heavyweight, in an open world tournament.  Luckily that's not what this is.  

He can beat anyone in the bracket outside of the top 2, and he's 2/2 medaling.  I like his chances to snag another bronze.  

Just now, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

He's really not a top 6 heavyweight, in an open world tournament.  Luckily that's not what this is.  

He can beat anyone in the bracket outside of the top 2, and he's 2/2 medaling.  I like his chances to snag another bronze.  

He can't beat Hadi so in my opinion he is not a top 3 HW. I agree with the rest of what you wrote but that wasn't what the guy said.

Last year Gwiz had the luckiest draw possible (Geno, Taha, Hadi and Khizriev all on the other bracket - wow !!) and he still lost to Deng. In 2017 he did well and performed to his potential which is a Bronze with a good draw. This year Hadi is out again so if Gwiz gets another lucky draw he can get a Bronze, but I doubt he'll medal this time, his luck has to run out eventually.  

21 minutes ago, The Genius said:

He can't beat Hadi so in my opinion he is not a top 3 HW. I agree with the rest of what you wrote but that wasn't what the guy said.

Last year Gwiz had the luckiest draw possible (Geno, Taha, Hadi and Khizriev all on the other bracket - wow !!) and he still lost to Deng. In 2017 he did well and performed to his potential which is a Bronze with a good draw. This year Hadi is out again so if Gwiz gets another lucky draw he can get a Bronze, but I doubt he'll medal this time, his luck has to run out eventually.  

Perhaps it will.  I think he could beat Hadi on the right day.  

5 hours ago, treep2000 said:

General thoughts on Team USA:

57 - Fix.  I think lightning can strike here.  He is world class by every measure.  Ceiling:. Gold.

61kg - Graff.  Journeyman cinderella story of sorts.  I can see him winning a few.  Ceiling:. DNP

65kg - Zain.  Motivated.  We've had a drought.  65 is a meat grinder.  Ceiling: Bronze 

70kg - Green.  Will this be his last hurrah?  Does he want to continue?  Has all the talent in the world, but can he put it together?  Ceiling: Bronze 

74kg - JB.  Nuff said.  Ceiling: Gold.

79kg - Dake. Nuff said.  Ceiling: Gold.

86kg - Downey.  I can't help but think that even though he became our rep, that he had Lady luck on his side the entire time.  I wish good things, and humility, for Downey.  But... I think he's going to have a rough time of it. Ceiling:. DNP

92kg - Cox.  His legend status is only beginning.  Ceiling: Gold.

97kg - Snyder.  He is a legend.  But, another legend is there.  Shall we see part 3?  I sure hope so.  Ceiling is gold, but predict a silver to Sad.

125kg - Gwiz.  He's the third best heavyweight in the world in my humble opinion.  Those other two are monsters.  Ceiling: Bronze.

Nice, good points & predictions. 

On 9/12/2019 at 12:38 AM, GoNotQuietly said:

If anyone cares to put money on their Zain placing at 65kg predictions, I will gladly take it off their hands... love Zain, but this bracket is going to be a minefield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you

But...wouldn’t it be crazy if Zain won the thing? 2017 was just fluky and came down to 1 poor decision where he gave the match away. He really is the best in the world. 

57 Atli (TUR)

61 Want to pick Harytyunyan (ARM) but don't see him in entry list; if he's not there, the other kid Yamaguchi (JPN)

65 Retherford (USA)

70 Kaipanov (KAZ)

74 Burroughs (USA)

79 Dake (USA)

86 Yazdani (IRI)

92 Cox (USA)

97 Snyder (USA)

125 Akgul (TUR)

USA reclaims the team title.   :D

On 9/13/2019 at 12:27 PM, The Genius said:

Gwiz can't even beat Deng, please calm down, Gwiz is barely a top 6 HW. 

How do the words "we shall see" evoke any sense of you being able to gauge my level of calmness?  If you have a superpower, that's awesome.  If you're just a troll, then I guess I stepped in it. 

21 hours ago, 2td3nf said:

57 Atli (TUR)

61 Want to pick Harytyunyan (ARM) but don't see him in entry list; if he's not there, the other kid Yamaguchi (JPN)

65 Retherford (USA)

70 Kaipanov (KAZ)

74 Burroughs (USA)

79 Dake (USA)

86 Yazdani (IRI)

92 Cox (USA)

97 Snyder (USA)

125 Akgul (TUR)

USA reclaims the team title.   :D

Bold sir .  Very bold.  I like it!

Only medals will come from Burroughs, Dake, Cox, and Snyder. Fix is a dark horse medal threat, and I can see anywhere from 2-6 medals from the US contingent this year. I would not be surprised if Cox and Snyder win, or DNP if taking an early loss and not getting pulled through. 

I suspect everyone else will BBQ with the exception of Green and Gwiz.

i hope I’m extremely wrong and the US take home the team title and lots of medals this year!

Jeez. People seem to really underestimate Zain on these boards saying he’s a for sure dnp. Don’t get me wrong, I know it’s a stacked weight class and wouldn’t be surprised if he did in fact dnp, but his only international losses in the last couple of years have been to two world silver medalists. He’s right there with the best imo and anything can happen. 

2 hours ago, CMickey92 said:

Jeez. People seem to really underestimate Zain on these boards saying he’s a for sure dnp. Don’t get me wrong, I know it’s a stacked weight class and wouldn’t be surprised if he did in fact dnp, but his only international losses in the last couple of years have been to two world silver medalists. He’s right there with the best imo and anything can happen. 

Zain is an incredible wrestler. And every American fan will be cheering for him. But his resume to date does not suggest he'll win a medal later this week.

Here are his individual senior level accomplishments, as far as I can tell:

• 2019- Yasar Dogu- 7th
  • 2019- Ivan Yarygin- 8th
  • 2017- Worlds- 11th
  • 2017- Grand Prix of Spain- 1st
  • 2015- Dave Schultz- 4th

I’d love to see Zain prove the conventional wisdom wrong and win a medal, and I’m sure other US fans would love to see that, too.

Edited by Katie

3 hours ago, Katie said:

Zain is an incredible wrestler. And every American fan will be cheering for him. But his resume to date does not suggest he'll win a medal later this week.

Here are his individual senior level accomplishments, as far as I can tell:

• 2019- Yasar Dogu- 7th
  • 2019- Ivan Yarygin- 8th
  • 2017- Worlds- 11th
  • 2017- Grand Prix of Spain- 1st
  • 2015- Dave Schultz- 4th

I’d love to see Zain prove the conventional wisdom wrong and win a medal, and I’m sure other US fans would love to see that, too.

You have a valid point that if you base it off of recent international results alone, it looks like he is going to dnp and I am not refuting that. However, if you look deeper into it, I think it paints a bigger picture as to where he is at compared to the top of the world. His Yasar results stem from losing to Yianni (who he has now beaten twice when it mattered) and then defaulting out of the rest of the tournament because of an injury. His Yarygin result is from losing to a 2018 World silver medalist by a last second takedown and then being eliminated when Rashidov didn’t make the finals. Before those results, his only international loss was from almost two years ago to another worlds silver. So his only losses to foreign wrestlers in the last two years have been to world medalists in competitive matches. Now I am not saying I think he will medal nor am I saying I think he won’t. I’m just saying that from what I see, he’s right there with the elite of the elite skill wise even though his credentials don’t necessarily show that yet. 

On 9/15/2019 at 12:23 PM, CMickey92 said:

You have a valid point that if you base it off of recent international results alone, it looks like he is going to dnp and I am not refuting that. However, if you look deeper into it, I think it paints a bigger picture as to where he is at compared to the top of the world. His Yasar results stem from losing to Yianni (who he has now beaten twice when it mattered) and then defaulting out of the rest of the tournament because of an injury. His Yarygin result is from losing to a 2018 World silver medalist by a last second takedown and then being eliminated when Rashidov didn’t make the finals. Before those results, his only international loss was from almost two years ago to another worlds silver. So his only losses to foreign wrestlers in the last two years have been to world medalists in competitive matches. Now I am not saying I think he will medal nor am I saying I think he won’t. I’m just saying that from what I see, he’s right there with the elite of the elite skill wise even though his credentials don’t necessarily show that yet. 

Lots of people have lost to Dake by one point through the years