hammerlockthree

Koll Entering something like 26th year....

On 9/6/2019 at 8:35 PM, hammerlockthree said:

Nichols 32 years

Smith I think is a year behind koll....

John Smith became the head coach at OSU in 1991.  Tom Borelli took over at CMU in 1991.  Koll took over at Cornell in 1993. Jay Weiss took over at Harvard in 1994.  Roger Reina the head coach at Penn predates all of them as he first became the head coach there in 1986.  He doesn't have the most years as head coach because he retired in 2005 before returning a couple of years ago.

5 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

John Smith became the head coach at OSU in 1991.  Tom Borelli took over at CMU in 1991.  Koll took over at Cornell in 1993. Jay Weiss took over at Harvard in 1994.  Roger Reina the head coach at Penn predates all of them as he first became the head coach there in 1986.  He doesn't have the most years as head coach because he retired in 2005 before returning a couple of years ago.

I just looked it up and it says smith started in 1992, so both wrong, I always thought he was 1994, cause Joe Seau got busted and fired around then right?

2 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I just looked it up and it says smith started in 1992, so both wrong, I always thought he was 1994, cause Joe Seau got busted and fired around then right?

I think he got the job in '92- possibly after the season but had to 'sit' the next season. Joe Seay's bio shows he coached until '92.

25 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I think he got the job in '92- possibly after the season but had to 'sit' the next season. Joe Seay's bio shows he coached until '92.

I relied on Wikipedia.  Both John Smith's personal page and the OSU wrestling wikipedia page says Smith got the job in 1991 which could mean the 1991-92 season.  

33 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

1992-93 was the year they were banned from the post season. 1993-94 was the year they won Nationals with Fried and Pat Smith winning titles.  I think 1991-92 was the year the violations were discovered and Seay got axed.  Not sure when exactly all that happened in the course of the season. 

I imagine it wasn't a simple Seay is out and Smith is in.  Seay was probably suspended pending investigation and someone took over head coach duties in an interim capacity making it possible for them both to be the HC at the same time in some sense. I really don't know.  

Several month back Fried was on the matboss podcast and he spoke of this period at OSU.  It was the year he pinned Brands in the Midlands finals (end of 1991).  It seemed that in the lead up to that the team was somewhat leaderless with each assistant coach taking turns running practice trying to position themselves as the next head coach until Smith became the front runner. 

http://www.matbossapp.com/?p=9924

https://www.si.com/vault/1992/06/15/126661/wrestling-never-too-old-to-go-for-gold-at-37-chris-campbell-has-earned-a-long-delayed-trip-to-the-olympics

"...Last fall [1991] he was pressed into service as coach at his alma mater, Oklahoma State, after Cowboy coach Joe Seay left amid a recruiting scandal. "It's been the worst year I've ever had in wrestling," said Smith last Friday. "I will never, ever coach and wrestle at the same time again. I felt like I was cheating both the team and myself. My preparation suffered, and that hurt."

10 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

It seems preposterous that Smith wasn't at least a presumed incumbent. 

I had that wrong it wasn’t in that podcast though he might talk about it.  I am sure he  always gets asked about Brands and that match.  It was from this intermat article  http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/1555/One-on-One-with-Alan-Fried.  He said Seay had already been fired by midlands and that second semester it was a different coach every week and smith officially became th coach after the season in 1992.

“You once pinned Tom Brands in under a minute to win the Midlands. What can you tell us about that match?

Fried: That was a throwback to our first match. To really get the whole story you have to know what was going on in my life. The summer before I went to the Espoir worlds and beat a tough Russian guy to win. I received the "Most Technical Wrestler" award. 

Two weeks before I left for Espoir Worlds, I was the victim of a violent crime where I was carjacked and beaten badly enough for the doctors to instruct me not to wrestle at the Worlds.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma State was under investigation. Coach Seay had already been fired, so we had no coach. That fall was catch as catch can coaching. Me, Pat Smith, and the Purlers, pushed ourselves, coached ourselves. Meanwhile everything is going perfect for Brands, training under Gable.

The Oklahoma State staff was under investigation, so we had barely competed all fall. Both Iowa and Minnesota wouldn't wrestle us for some stupid reasons of their own." I wasn't even going to go to Midlands. I don't know why I remember this so well, but I was eating a corned beef sandwich, playing Nintendo with Scott Peters and Mike Goldberg (who I am now an associate attorney for) and we got to talking about Midlands and maybe that I should go, you know, because we didn't have anything else better to do over the holiday break. Sure enough, I get Brands in the finals. But having my own workout partners and schedule, it was a great break that was really mentally refreshing, took the pressure off. The Iowa guys are so calculated in their preparation, Brands didn't expect me to be there, and I think it threw him out of his game plan.

As I recall you hit him with a knee pick, then trapped his foot and leg with yours, and "climbed up" for the fall?

Fried: Yes, it was a knee pick (laughing). It pissed me off, the wrestling magazines said it was a headlock, like I'm some loser out there throwing out desperation headlocks. It wasn't a fluke. In fact it was the same move I hit five seconds earlier and didn't get the takedown on the edge.

After we got back to school, the coaching staff, or whatever you call it began practicing. Oh, and now I'm getting all the attention because of the Brands match. What a joke! Every week a new coach for the rest of the season. Basically, the Grad assistants would take turns running practice and it wasn't long before the wrestlers realized that each one of these coaches is trying to give us the workout of our lives because they're basically looking at their week or so to run practice as a job interview. So, it was a string of unrelated, mostly ineffective practices for the whole second semester. But then, when the season was over and John Smith got the job officially, things turned around. He brought in Mark Perry and I finally had a coaching staff in college that I believed in overall. That's why I stuck around when we were actually put on probation. I was that happy to have a strong core of people and didn't want to uproot again.”

5 hours ago, scribe said:

Could you imagine trying to carjack Alan fried? I mean, who would want to crawl into a badgers den?

Honey badger!  Agreed scribe.  Must have been multiple assailants and a gun. Al is a badass cat and has been since he was about twelve yrs old.

On 9/9/2019 at 9:02 PM, gimpeltf said:

Again, Joe Seay's HOF Bio says he coached until '92. The Oklahoma State Wrestling Page says Smith accepted the position in '92. Don't forget he was still competing at that point.

Wasn't Koll also still competing when he got the job at Cornell?  He tried to make the Olympic team in 1996.  Koll's main rival to make that team, Kenny Monday, was Smith's main rival for the head coach position at OSU.

1 minute ago, Fishbane said:

Wasn't Koll also still competing when he got the job at Cornell?  He tried to make the Olympic team in 1996.  Koll's main rival to make that team, Kenny Monday, was Smith's main rival for the head coach position at OSU.

Could be. And I now think that Smith accepted an interim position and the date given on OSU site is the actual position. But there's an article somewhere saying Smith thought coaching while competing was a big mistake. And here he was the main guy at his weight so the summer was completely about the Olympics for him and not so much for Koll as he would have toned down training possibly even late spring.

7 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Could be. And I now think that Smith accepted an interim position and the date given on OSU site is the actual position. But there's an article somewhere saying Smith thought coaching while competing was a big mistake. And here he was the main guy at his weight so the summer was completely about the Olympics for him and not so much for Koll as he would have toned down training possibly even late spring.

The OSU media guide says Smith got the job in 1992 and has all 7 matches from the 1991-92 season counted under his official record.  All the competitions that season were January 1992 and later.   Under the individual season it has John Smith and Kenny Monday listed as the head coaches and both of those guys were actively competing on the senior level.  Smith won worlds in 91 and the Olympics in 1992.  Monday was 2nd at worlds in 1991 and the 92 Olympics and perhaps 2nd in line for the coaching position too. 

OSU_1991-1992_record.jpg

I think the original arrangement may have been that Seay was suspended in 1991, and Smith was the interim coach for the 1991-92 season.  It may have been that Smith was not officially named head coach until 1992 (similar to Gable and Zalesky for the '97-'98 season).  

Regardless of the actual technicalities, Smith was the one who was running the program that season.