wamba

World championships - steaming options

12 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Several other countries also have streaming rights with third party vendors. It’s not just the US. I posted it last year but can’t remember off the top of my head which nations have it (I know India and Russia are two).

I’m sure a search in the forum would come up with the thread on it.

20 hours ago, jon said:

Are you assuming/suggesting the live broadcast would be free, in U.S., if not for Track?

Yes, ithe UWW stream was free in the USA before Track bought the rights. And the stream worked fine.

2 hours ago, 2td3nf said:

Yes, ithe UWW stream was free in the USA before Track bought the rights. And the stream worked fine.

That presumes causation and that UWW was content to keep the stream free in perpetuity until Track approached them with an offer. It very well may have been that UWW decided to monetize the stream in the US (where it obviously has value) and Track was the high bidder. Do we really think that Flo hadn’t - or wouldn’t have eventually - tried to secure the rights to stream worlds? 

I have no unique insight into what went down just pointing out that just because Track was the high bidder doesn’t mean they’re the reason it’s no longer free. 

I’m going to buy a pass to this year’s event because I try to support all things wrestling whenever I can. That being said, I think it’s WILDLY overpriced especially considering 1) the time change means a lot of Americans are not getting up to watch most of it in real time regardless; and 2) how quickly replays of the matches are available to watch online for free. $30 to watch worlds is one thing, $30 to watch worlds one day sooner is a whole other...especially when it’s on in the middle of the night so a lot of viewers probably aren’t watching live regardless.

Edited by MDogg

27 minutes ago, MDogg said:

That presumes causation and that UWW was content to keep the stream free in perpetuity until Track approached them with an offer. It very well may have been that UWW decided to monetize the stream in the US (where it obviously has value) and Track was the high bidder. Do we really think that Flo hadn’t - or wouldn’t have eventually - tried to secure the rights to stream worlds? 

I have no unique insight into what went down just pointing out that just because Track was the high bidder doesn’t mean they’re the reason it’s no longer free. 

I’m going to buy a pass to this year’s event because I try to support all things wrestling whenever I can. That being said, I think it’s WILDLY overpriced especially considering 1) the time change means a lot of Americans are not getting up to watch most of it in real time regardless; and 2) how quickly replays of the matches are available to watch online for free. $30 to watch worlds is one thing, $30 to watch worlds one day sooner is a whole other...especially when it’s on in the middle of the night so a lot of viewers probably aren’t watching live regardless.

My bad, I read jon’s post too fast when I responded. My point was that the Worlds were streamed for free here in USA before Track got the rights. Who approached who for the contract, idk either.  BTW, Track also has an annual UWW plan for $50.