Sign in to follow this  
AnklePicker

Suriano to redshirt

Maybe I’m splitting hairs but this part confuses me a bit:

“Suriano would not be required to compete until the Big Ten Championships, held at Rutgers on March 7-8, 2020. As long as Suriano earns an automatic qualifier spot at the conference meet, he would be eligible for the national tournament in Minneapolis on March 19-21...”

As I understand it (or think I understand it), he can’t take an Olympic redshirt unless he isn’t enrolled at the school either semester this year. However, he also obviously can’t wrestle for Rutgers unless he’s enrolled at the school at the time. So his decision on whether he’s following through with an Olympic RS for the full year will have to be made before second semester classes start (well before Big Ten’s)?

1 minute ago, MDogg said:

Maybe I’m splitting hairs but this part confuses me a bit:

“Suriano would not be required to compete until the Big Ten Championships, held at Rutgers on March 7-8, 2020. As long as Suriano earns an automatic qualifier spot at the conference meet, he would be eligible for the national tournament in Minneapolis on March 19-21...”

As I understand it (or think I understand it), he can’t take an Olympic redshirt unless he isn’t enrolled at the school either semester this year. However, he also obviously can’t wrestle for Rutgers unless he’s enrolled at the school at the time. So his decision on whether he’s following through with an Olympic RS for the full year will have to be made before second semester classes start (well before Big Ten’s)?

If he was gonna wrestle in the conference why redshirt at all? So he doesn't have to go to class?

1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

If he was gonna wrestle in the conference why redshirt at all? So he doesn't have to go to class?

Didn’t write the article...I was just pointing out that it suggests he doesn’t have to make the decision until Big Ten’s when - as I understand it - he has to make it before second semester classes start.

He should have a regular, non-Olympic RS available which would allow him to go to class while he trains...if that’s what he wanted. So either he’s saving that in case of emergency (he gets hurt mid or late season next year) or he doesn’t want to have to take classes while he trains. I would guess the former but it’s only a guess. 

Didn't think he was eligible to take an Olympic Shirt, though he has a regular shirt available.

Has anyone ever gotten final clarification on the criteria about placing top 3 and making the finals at U23? Some think you only need to place top 3. Others think you only have to also place top 2 at U23 if you're using the NCAA champ from previous year criteria.

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

I thought NCAA champs were good?

They are.

2019 Champs are considered past, not current champs by the time of the Oly-Trials. This next season's champs are those who automatically qualify.

Past champs require additional requisites I believe.

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

They are.

2019 Champs are considered past, not current champs by the time of the Oly-Trials. This next season's champs are those who automatically qualify.

Here is the criteria for an Olympic redshirt, Nick only qualifies for a regular redshirt. 

There are four ways to qualify for an Olympic redshirt year  Only required to meet one criteria 

1)      Past National Team members (Top 3 from the World or Olympic Team Trials) 

2)      Top 8 at the 2019 Senior US Open 

3)      Top 3 at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship or NCAA Champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both) 

4) Previous Cadet, Junior, U23 World Medalist 

1 hour ago, MikePorcelli said:

Here is the criteria for an Olympic redshirt, Nick only qualifies for a regular redshirt. 

There are four ways to qualify for an Olympic redshirt year  Only required to meet one criteria 

1)      Past National Team members (Top 3 from the World or Olympic Team Trials) 

2)      Top 8 at the 2019 Senior US Open 

3)      Top 3 at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship or NCAA Champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both) 

4) Previous Cadet, Junior, U23 World Medalist 

Is criteria 3: "(Top 3 at 2019 NCAA championships or NCAA champion from a previous year) AND top 2 from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials." 

Or is Criteria 3, "Top 3 at the 2019 NCAA wrestling championship or (NCAA Champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2019 U23 World team trials)."  

2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Is criteria 3: "(Top 3 at 2019 NCAA championships or NCAA champion from a previous year) AND top 2 from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials." 

Or is Criteria 3, "Top 3 at the 2019 NCAA wrestling championship or (NCAA Champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2019 U23 World team trials)."  

My interpretation is the latter. Why and how would Nicky Pushups, Johnny D, and Mekhi all already announce Oly-shirt intentions if it were the former?

13 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

My interpretation is the latter. Why and how would Nicky Pushups, Johnny D, and Mekhi all already announce Oly-shirt intentions if it were the former?

Nick doesn't qualify for Olympic RS.Yianni qualifies because he was a world medalist and Lewis because he was U23 champ and NCAA champ.Nick didn't wrestle in U23 he was  a NCAA champ so he didn't qualify for Olympic.Nick will wrestle in November and December and  try to qualify for the trials if he doesn't look for him to enroll at Rutgers in January and wrestle 2nd semester.

Frickin' math majors! ;) Here's how it's quoted in the Flo article.

Top three at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship; or NCAA champion from a previous year AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both).

Note the semicolon which means the latter.

11 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Daton Fix said in his interview with Askren that he is takin an Olympic redshirt and can attend class.  I think Yianni saying that he couldn’t take classes has confused a lot of people, but that might be tied to the Ivy no redshirt rules.

If Suriano is eligible for an Olympic redshirt he could take classes most likely.  

Edited by Fishbane

20 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Frickin' math majors! ;) Here's how it's quoted in the Flo article.

Top three at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship; or NCAA champion from a previous year AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both).

Note the semicolon which means the latter.

Also important to note that the semicolon is not present on the actual criteria page making the flo article a misquote. If the semicolon was actually present in the official criteria this would be much simpler.

54 minutes ago, justafan said:

Nick doesn't qualify for Olympic RS.Yianni qualifies because he was a world medalist and Lewis because he was U23 champ and NCAA champ.Nick didn't wrestle in U23 he was  a NCAA champ so he didn't qualify for Olympic.Nick will wrestle in November and December and  try to qualify for the trials if he doesn't look for him to enroll at Rutgers in January and wrestle 2nd semester.

Lewis was a Junior champ. Still applies for him and Johnny though. I skipped 2 and 3 and focused on 1 for discussion and you're absolutely correct.

I imagine his coaches and D1 coaches know more than us Average Joe forum posters.

Just now, qc8223 said:

Also important to note that the semicolon is not present on the actual criteria page making the flo article a misquote. If the semicolon was actually present in the official criteria this would be much simpler.

This is absolutely true. Either A) They went through the proper channels to make sure their interpretation is correct or B) they did not and published their interpretation as the actual procedure.

Being that it has been a hot topic for a while now, I am leaning A over B. My opinion.

9 hours ago, nhs67 said:

They are.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

So the 2020 champion doesn't get an invite? @MikePorcelli

This is the criteria for the Olympic Redshirt, not the Olympic Trials. 2020 champs can't be eligible for the olympic redshirt because the year they would take off has already happened. I believe 2020 champs to qualify for the trials like usual.

4 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

This is the criteria for the Olympic Redshirt, not the Olympic Trials. 2020 champs can't be eligible for the olympic redshirt because the year they would take off has already happened. I believe 2020 champs to qualify for the trials like usual.

Ah $HlT. Crossing streams here. Apologies.