Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AnklePicker

Suriano to redshirt

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Lewis was a Junior champ. Still applies for him and Johnny though. I skipped 2 and 3 and focused on 1 for discussion and you're absolutely correct.

I imagine his coaches and D1 coaches know more than us Average Joe forum posters.

Yes junior champ not U23 thanks for correcting me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can he comfortably make 57kg still?  If so, I have to ask a question.  Who can actually take him down at that weight?  

Fix couldn't, and he's our freestyle rep.  Lee's offense isn't as prolific as Fix's, so I'm thinking he may have problems with Nick.  Gilman?  I don't think so.  

If Suriano goes 65kg, I do see either Yianni or Zain capable of taking him down, given their attack/reattack style (and of course, Yianni's insane ability to score points off his scrambling and counters).  

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Is criteria 3: "(Top 3 at 2019 NCAA championships or NCAA champion from a previous year) AND top 2 from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials." 

 

Or is Criteria 3, "Top 3 at the 2019 NCAA wrestling championship or (NCAA Champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2019 U23 World team trials)."  

 

 

Cue the Cornell lawyers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Can he comfortably make 57kg still?  If so, I have to ask a question.  Who can actually take him down at that weight?  

Fix couldn't, and he's our freestyle rep.  Lee's offense isn't as prolific as Fix's, so I'm thinking he may have problems with Nick.  Gilman?  I don't think so.  

If Suriano goes 65kg, I do see either Yianni or Zain capable of taking him down, given their attack/reattack style (and of course, Yianni's insane ability to score points off his scrambling and counters).  

Thoughts?

Lee already took him down twice at 125.  How did you forget that? Gilman took him down, too.  Rivera did as well. 

Last year Micic, DeSanto and Korbin Myers also took him down at 133.  I think Fix either has some sort of mental block or Suriano is just a bad matchup for him.

If Suriano goes to 65 kg, he is not going to be able to hang with Zain or Yianni.  I actually think he might have to go 65 kg, as I'm not sure how Suriano could make 125 again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Can he comfortably make 57kg still?  If so, I have to ask a question.  Who can actually take him down at that weight?  

Fix couldn't, and he's our freestyle rep.  Lee's offense isn't as prolific as Fix's, so I'm thinking he may have problems with Nick.  Gilman?  I don't think so.  

If Suriano goes 65kg, I do see either Yianni or Zain capable of taking him down, given their attack/reattack style (and of course, Yianni's insane ability to score points off his scrambling and counters).  

Thoughts?

Lee had 5 points against Nick in one match, Fix has 5 points against him in two matches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I am a fan of Suriano, and although I don't know what his future plans are, I hope that this redshirt is an indication that he will throw his hat into the Freestyle ring for a couple of years. 

Additionlly, I would've liked to have seen Nick competiting for the 61 kg spot this past spring, and had he done so, I believe that he would've been right in the thick of things. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DEFan79 said:

Lee already took him down twice at 125.  How did you forget that? Gilman took him down, too.  Rivera did as well. 

Last year Micic, DeSanto and Korbin Myers also took him down at 133.  I think Fix either has some sort of mental block or Suriano is just a bad matchup for him.

If Suriano goes to 65 kg, he is not going to be able to hang with Zain or Yianni.  I actually think he might have to go 65 kg, as I'm not sure how Suriano could make 125 again.

I think it's just the match up. The weakest part of Fix's game are his leg attacks or lack thereof. He thrives on flurries and slick stuff like shrugs and inside trips. Suriano doesn't put himself in position for those. He doesn't hang on the head and he doesn't attack a ton, and when he does he often doesn't hit a knee which makes him hard to reattack. Fix is too disciplined to take bad shots. You have to guys who mostly look for counter offense. This results in a stand still. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DEFan79 said:

Lee already took him down twice at 125.  How did you forget that? Gilman took him down, too.  Rivera did as well. 

Last year Micic, DeSanto and Korbin Myers also took him down at 133.  I think Fix either has some sort of mental block or Suriano is just a bad matchup for him.

If Suriano goes to 65 kg, he is not going to be able to hang with Zain or Yianni.  I actually think he might have to go 65 kg, as I'm not sure how Suriano could make 125 again.

Because my memory sucks I guess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my take:

At 57kg he has a 25% chance of making the Olympic team (Garrett, Lee, Fix and Gilman are all favored in free IMO)

At 65kg he has a 5% chance of making the Olympic team

At 61kg in 2021 50% chance of making world team

I doubt 2021 ever happens and instead he goes right into MMA.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the question that likely sheds more light than most of us have even realized:

When speaking about MMA, has he ever specified a desired weight-class goal or desired opponents?

The UFC seems to be doing away with 125, or it may seem that way. Has he talked about fighting Dillashaw, Cejudo, Holloway, etc?

That could give us insight as to the weight class he chooses for next year's trials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

So whats gonna happen if Suriano goes 57? He's gonna get tired? Haven't seen it yet.

He is in way more danger of negating his strength advantage, which is why I assume he is so friggin hard to take down despite his kinda goofy stance.

He looked pretty tired to me against Lee in the third period their 125 pound NCAA final. And against Desanto at the end of their first match.

Also, although he is ridiculously strong, I saw Lee basically muscle him down twice in their match, so I wouldn't call him the "pound for pound" strongest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DEFan79 said:

He looked pretty tired to me against Lee in the third period their 125 pound NCAA final. And against Desanto at the end of their first match.

Also, although he is ridiculously strong, I saw Lee basically muscle him down twice in their match, so I wouldn't call him the "pound for pound" strongest

this is where I would have to go into making excuses for him, and there is no way of doing that cause I dont even like him, plus there are about 13 Flo interviews dedicated to that purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

this is where I would have to go into making excuses for him, and there is no way of doing that cause I dont even like him, plus there are about 13 Flo interviews dedicated to that purpose.

Yeah, I could see someone making some nonsense excuse about his match with Lee, but I don't buy it.

I don't think there is any excuse for his loss to Desanto - Desanto wore him out, took a decent shot and Suriano was too tired to fend it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 4:31 AM, nhs67 said:

My interpretation is the latter. Why and how would Nicky Pushups, Johnny D, and Mekhi all already announce Oly-shirt intentions if it were the former?

 

On 9/10/2019 at 2:03 AM, Billyhoyle said:

Is criteria 3: "(Top 3 at 2019 NCAA championships or NCAA champion from a previous year) AND top 2 from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials." 

 

Or is Criteria 3, "Top 3 at the 2019 NCAA wrestling championship or (NCAA Champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2019 U23 World team trials)."  

 

 

I have been thoroughly confused on this, not that that's something new, so I decided to do some investigation. The release by USA Wrestling shown here

3)      Top 3 at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship or NCAA 
Champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2019 
U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both.

is the one in question for Suriano. He obviously does not qualify for the others. FRL reported on Tuesday that he did not qualify for an Olympic Redshirt as they read the criteria to be either top 3 last year or previous champion (either one) and MUST be top 2 from u23 trials.

However, in my mind that doesn't make sense. I would think they are wanting somebody who is currently a possible threat to make the team. That would mean somebody who did well last year in college, top 3,  or without that somebody who has been really good in the past, former NCAA champion, and also has some current freestyle chops, top 2 in the U23 trials. If you read it the other way, then the only people that could possibly gain an Olympic Redshirt from that criteria are the finalists from the U23 trials. And then they would still have to been a former Champion or top 3 last year. So that step or criteria would only allow for, at most, two other people to get an Olympic Redshirt. It hardly seems worth it to put an entire criteria for what could be two people at most.

Also, I went back and checked my old logic textbook and found out the following: the and argument is always done first just like multiplication and division are done before addition and subtraction. So again it would seem like a former national champion who also made the U23 finals or just someone who was top 3 last year.  I realize none of this is etched in stone but that would be what it seems to me. One advantage of an Olympic Redshirt is that you do not have to take classes but a regular Redshirt still has to be making progress towards a degree from my understanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...