NJDan

Track Wrestling Charges

Everyone complains about paying Flo. But at least Flo is charging for content that it creates. TrackWrestling is charging $29.95 for a single event, the World Championships, that it does not even produce or film. IIRC, last time, its announcers were not even in the  arena, but in a studio in the U.S. and were watching the stream like the rest of us. 

Original post may well be misguided. Seems plausible to me this is a UWW move not a Track/Flo move. UWW knows U.S. will pay and so UWW opts to sell U.S. rights. Either Flo or Track shall hold those rights in which case I prefer it be Track!

[N.B. I'm speaking outside my experience/expertise--I am not a lawyer--and so please excuse any bad wording from me.]

Someone who wants to see just this tourney doesn't give a hoot about the originality of content!

Someone who scoffs at yearlong lock-in may well tolerate Track PPV pricepoint! Flo locks ya in for a year and ya think that's a *good* thing? Lol.

Is the $29.95 Track PPV charge less than Flo's exorbitant month-to-month price? Serious question. [Even if the answer to this question favors Flo it really doesn't matter so much because Flo hides the month-to-month option, making it hard for a new user to select it!]

Edited by jon

1 hour ago, jon said:

Original post may well be misguided. Seems plausible to me this is a UWW move not a Track/Flo move. UWW knows U.S. will pay and so UWW opts to sell U.S. rights. Either Flo or Track shall hold those rights in which case I prefer it be Track!

[N.B. I'm speaking outside my experience/expertise--I am not a lawyer--and so please excuse any bad wording from me.]

Someone who wants to see just this tourney doesn't give a hoot about the originality of content!

Someone who scoffs at yearlong lock-in may well tolerate Track PPV pricepoint! Flo locks ya in for a year and ya think that's a *good* thing? Lol.

Is the $29.95 Track PPV charge less than Flo's exorbitant month-to-month price? Serious question. [Even if the answer to this question favors Flo it really doesn't matter so much because Flo hides the month-to-month option, making it hard for a new user to select it!]

You seem oddly excited to pay Track for something most of the world apparently gets for free. Maybe you should also send Track $10 every time you post here. Imagine the fun!

I get your point but I think, respectfully, it's unrealistic. If it's unfair to say against Flo "all content ought to be free" then same goes for Track. If this is a UWW move then blame goes to UWW not to Track.

Edited by jon

Why does ESPN? Olympics Channel? not buy rights to this tourney? Ratings would not justify the expense of buying the rights?

Edited by jon

23 minutes ago, jon said:

I get your point but I think, respectfully, it's unrealistic. If it's unfair to say against Flo "all content ought to be free" then same goes for Track. If this is a UWW move then blame goes to UWW not to Track.

I never said "all content ought to be free." I merely commented on your odd enthusiasm for paying Track for something most of the world apparently gets for free

BTW, it's also odd that you keep suggesting that UWW is to "blame" for Track's purchase of the streaming rights. Track purchased the rights because it liked the deal. End of story.

Edited by Katie

International-broadcasting agreements have nothing to do with U.S. broadcasting agreements -- right? Isn't this separation of sorts inherent to TV? E.g., UFC is aired on network TV in some parts of the world. But in U.S. it's not.

Better free than Track. Better Track than Flo.

You keep saying 'odd' but yet nothing about my posts is odd, man. My statement 'Better Track than Flo' serves to convey my opinion. Closest thing to """evidence""" in this context is small absolute price of Track PPV (as compared to Flo subscription, which is comparatively high because yearlong lock-in). You act as if, if not for Track, there'd be free streaming in U.S. but yet for *that* idea there's no evidence.

Edited by jon

13 minutes ago, jon said:

You keep saying 'odd' but yet nothing about my posts is odd, man. My statement 'Better Track than Flo' serves to convey my opinion. Closest thing to """evidence""" in this context is small absolute price of Track PPV (as compared to Flo subscription, which is comparatively high because yearlong lock-in). You act as if, if not for Track, there'd be free streaming in U.S. but yet for *that* idea there's no evidence.

Let’s say you planned poorly and were forced to take money from another bank’s ATM. Let’s say further that you ended up paying $10 for the withdrawal (even though it would have been free at your own bank’s ATM).

Would the normal attitude be annoyance? Or would the normal attitude be excitement at not having to pay the strip club’s ATM fee?

What do you think?

Better my ATM than their ATM.  Better their ATM than the Strip club's ATM.  

I think the logic applies.  There are a lot of people not happy with the FLO product, you only have to watch for the WC time and Final X time to hear all about it on these boards.  Track seems to be better in delivering content from what I've read. 

My way of looking at this is as follows:  If you can't afford to go to the event and pay the ticket price, $30 is a pittance to spend on the content, it certainly is less than the ticket price alone.  I would rather that I didn't have to pay two different services for content, but that is where we are right now. 

mspart

4 hours ago, jon said:

I could be wrong but I thought I read the hard-to-find monthly option for Flo was $29.

I do think that favors Flo, since 1 month > 1 event (and I don't subscribe to Flo).

9 hours ago, jon said:

Flo equates to $10 a month for all conte nt.

First, it is not realistic for content to be free all of the time. It is a product we consume. Time, effort, travel, etc go into creating this content and needs to be paid for. 

Second, $30 for over a week of the best wrestling in the world IS A STEAL. You could get a flight to Europe, hotel, food, tickets to the event, or pay $30 and watch in the comfort of your own home. 

Both Track and Flo are getting us access to wrestling content that was not accessible a while back unless you traveled the country full time. It is worth it.

31 minutes ago, mattchristensen112 said:

First, it is not realistic for content to be free all of the time. It is a product we consume. Time, effort, travel, etc go into creating this content and needs to be paid for. 

Second, $30 for over a week of the best wrestling in the world IS A STEAL. You could get a flight to Europe, hotel, food, tickets to the event, or pay $30 and watch in the comfort of your own home. 

Both Track and Flo are getting us access to wrestling content that was not accessible a while back unless you traveled the country full time. It is worth it.

I agree.

But what some of us were trying to say was, dang, we had the World Championships for free on a nice UWW stream for a few years there. Almost too good to be true.

Not happy that I have to pay for all this content now, but to me, the $150 annual membership for Flo and the $50 UWW seasonal (annual) pass to Track are still worth it. I'm on their sites all the time and thoroughly enjoy them.

Also, if it all helps grow the sport, even better.  

9 hours ago, jon said:

E.g., UFC is aired on network TV in some parts of the world. But in U.S. it's not.

True UFC events have been broadcast on network TV. I know they are in European markets, but the TV station pays UFC a fee for those rights and the event usually airs live at a very inconvenient time in Europe.  So, UFC is fine getting a OK payment from those European TV markets than a very spatial payment if they tried to sell it through a European PPV system.  I’m guessing the UFC move to an online PPV model could eventually take the place of some of most of their overseas  TV contracts since it cuts out the costs of the middle man.  

15 hours ago, jon said:

Just for comparison, an organization with the same parent company as TrackWrestling is charging $200 for the Rugby World Cup...yes, that's more than an annual subscription to Flo.

15 hours ago, NJDan said:

Everyone complains about paying Flo. But at least Flo is charging for content that it creates. TrackWrestling is charging $29.95 for a single event, the World Championships, that it does not even produce or film. IIRC, last time, its announcers were not even in the  arena, but in a studio in the U.S. and were watching the stream like the rest of us. 

track is a lazy greedy awful website. The reason wrestling is a 2nd tier sport is that we tolerate treatment from such outlets. 

Flo does a lot of annoying and useless things but they have way more respect for the sport and their customers.