Jump to content
Jimmy Cinnabon

Iowa ranked #1 by WIN magazine

Recommended Posts

It's a solid ranking.

It's no slam-dunk by any means, but if you weren't wearing any particularly colored glasses when viewing - Iowa has a bit of an edge.

Iowa/PSU

125 #1 Lee / Not-ranked PSU

133 #4 DeSanto / Not-ranked PSU

141 #10 Murin / #2 NIck Lee

149 #4 Lugo / #18 Verkleeren

157 #2 Young / #9 Berge

165 #3 Marinelli / #1 Joseph

174 #5 Kemerer / #1 Hall

184 #7 Wilcke / #2 Rasheed

197 #4 Warner / #12 Conel

Hwt Not-ranked Iowa / #1 Cassar

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Idk why they would leave out RBY at 133 hadn’t heard anything about him redshirting he should be ranked anywhere from 3-5 which 

Win always has a lot of omissions that leave you thinking that their rankers really aren't paying much attention.  RBY was one of the most blatant. Some others: Mattin Mi is he RS? Myers VT has been widely reported to be dropping to 125 they have him @ 133. Also Paetzal Lehigh is dropping to 125 and should be ranked there.  Duncan Ill @ 133?  No mention of Gfeller despite reports that he is going 141 to replace Brock. No Prince Navy @ 149. I would be surprised to see Hayes still at 157 this year. McCormick Army should probably be ranked at165. Darmstadt should be ranked at 184 vs 197. J Holschlag No Iowa is a top 5 guy who was omitted at 197. T Lane Cal Poly @ 197 made the round of 12 at NCAAs lst year and should be ranked. i am sure there are a few oversights I missed but WINs rankings continue to be about the worst out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

It's a solid ranking.

It's no slam-dunk by any means, but if you weren't wearing any particularly colored glasses when viewing - Iowa has a bit of an edge.

Iowa/PSU

125 #1 Lee / Not-ranked PSU

133 #4 DeSanto / Not-ranked PSU

141 #10 Murin / #2 NIck Lee

149 #4 Lugo / #18 Verkleeren

157 #2 Young / #9 Berge

165 #3 Marinelli / #1 Joseph

174 #5 Kemerer / #1 Hall

184 #7 Wilcke / #2 Rasheed

197 #4 Warner / #12 Conel

Hwt Not-ranked Iowa / #1 Cassar

Kemerer coming off an injury and a year off after a 4th place finish is ranked 5 up two weights.  Conel coming off an injury and a year off after a 3rd place finish is ranked 12 at the same weight?

Has Conel enrolled at PSU for sure?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Win always has a lot of omissions that leave you thinking that their rankers really aren't paying much attention.  RBY was one of the most blatant. Some others: Mattin Mi is he RS? Myers VT has been widely reported to be dropping to 125 they have him @ 133. Also Paetzal Lehigh is dropping to 125 and should be ranked there.  Duncan Ill @ 133?  No mention of Gfeller despite reports that he is going 141 to replace Brock. No Prince Navy @ 149. I would be surprised to see Hayes still at 157 this year. McCormick Army should probably be ranked at165. Darmstadt should be ranked at 184 vs 197. J Holschlag No Iowa is a top 5 guy who was omitted at 197. T Lane Cal Poly @ 197 made the round of 12 at NCAAs lst year and should be ranked. i am sure there are a few oversights I missed but WINs rankings continue to be about the worst out there.

WIN rankings are always terrible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Idk why they would leave out RBY at 133 hadn’t heard anything about him redshirting he should be ranked anywhere from 3-5 which 

This is what I was wondering... did we miss something?  

Cael's already shown he won't take any chances if he thinks someone has a remote chance of knocking them off, so  I don't really see a scenario where he redshirts   outside of injury.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fishbane said:

Kemerer coming off an injury and a year off after a 4th place finish is ranked 5 up two weights.  Conel coming off an injury and a year off after a 3rd place finish is ranked 12 at the same weight?

Has Conel enrolled at PSU for sure?  

Kemerer is a much more consistent performer than Conel.  Conel has one thunderous tournament.  His last full season, he had the following losses:

Corey Griego, Christian Brunner (by major), Joe Ariola, Jackson Striggow, Scottie Boykin (by tech), Jacob Holschlag, Aaron Naples (twice!), Preston Weigel (by tech), Ben Darmstadt, and Mike Machiavell (by fall).  SOme good losses in there, but also some blowouts, and also some losses to some really middling D1 wrestlers.  That doesn't include any medical losses.

Kemerer lost to Micah Jordan (by fall, though injury relate, the match actually terminated) and Jason Nolf.  He has one MFFT and one INJ DEF.  They're not even close to the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Kemerer is a much more consistent performer than Conel.  Conel has one thunderous tournament.  His last full season, he had the following losses:

Corey Griego, Christian Brunner (by major), Joe Ariola, Jackson Striggow, Scottie Boykin (by tech), Jacob Holschlag, Aaron Naples (twice!), Preston Weigel (by tech), Ben Darmstadt, and Mike Machiavell (by fall).  SOme good losses in there, but also some blowouts, and also some losses to some really middling D1 wrestlers.  That doesn't include any medical losses.

Kemerer lost to Micah Jordan (by fall, though injury relate, the match actually terminated) and Jason Nolf.  He has one MFFT and one INJ DEF.  They're not even close to the same thing.

Conel still has 2 wins over the number 1 at his weight and most of the guys that you named that beat him are gone.Kemerer hasn’t wrestled in a year and his best career win is over Berger or joe smith so I agree he’s ranked right where he should be he’s not a world beater and at a much more difficult weight class then 197 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Conel still has 2 wins over the number 1 at his weight and most of the guys that you named that beat him are gone.Kemerer hasn’t wrestled in a year and his best career win is over Berger or joe smith so I agree he’s ranked right where he should be he’s not a world beater and at a much more difficult weight class then 197 

Who else should be ahead of him?  And 174 isn't really that deep to be "much more difficult than 197".....Injuries are the only reason to not give Kemerer the credit he deserves.  He has shown to be the 2nd best 157 behind Nolf the 2 years he wrestled.  He just got Palacio'd at his first NCAA's to take 3rd and then had Nolf on his side of the bracket before losing to a guy he owned for 3rd due to injury.

If healthy, he is in the top class with Hall and Amine at 174.  60-6 in 2 season with a 3rd and 4th place finish.  3 of those losses are to Nolf. 1 to Palacio, 1 to Jordan and an inj. def. to Berger.  The guy is much better than he is credited for.

1. Mark Hall Penn State Sr. 30-1/2nd
2. Myles Amine Michigan Sr. 22-4/3rd
3. Mikey Labriola Nebraska So. 30-9/6th
4. Jordan Kutler Lehigh Sr. 25-6/7th
5. Michael Kemerer Iowa Sr. Injured/2x AA-157
6. Devin Skatzka Minnesota Sr. 30-11/8th
7. Taylor Lujan Northern Iowa Sr. 26-7
8. Joe Smith Oklahoma State Sr. 21-8/NQ-165/2x AA
9. Anthony Valencia Arizona State Sr. Injured
10. Dylan Lydy Purdue Sr. 29-10/NQ
11. Brandon Womack Cornell Sr. 22-10/NQ
12. Ethan Smith Ohio State So. 20-13/NQ
13. Connor Flynn Missouri Sr. 21-9/NQ
14. Joe Grello Rutgers Jr. 18-11/NQ
15. Ben Harvey Army Sr. 31-11/NQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

If healthy, he is in the top class with Hall and Amine at 174.  60-6 in 2 season with a 3rd and 4th place finish.  3 of those losses are to Nolf. 1 to Palacio, 1 to Jordan and an inj. def. to Berger.  The guy is much better than he is credited for.

 

4 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Kemerer lost to Micah Jordan (by fall, though injury relate, the match actually terminated) and Jason Nolf.  He has one MFFT and one INJ DEF.  They're not even close to the same thing.

 

You guys aren't worried at all about the weight jump?  I like Kemerer a lot... he's about as solid as they come, but the weight isn't irrelevant.  If he wrestles Labriola tomorrow, who are you taking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Dr. Novak said:

Koll tanking the year can't be good for business at Cornell.  

Oh the school will be happy the team will have the time to read up on the latest agricultural techniques prior the spring planting.  A larger yield is always good for business.  

Edited by MadMardigain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Conel still has 2 wins over the number 1 at his weight and most of the guys that you named that beat him are gone.Kemerer hasn’t wrestled in a year and his best career win is over Berger or joe smith so I agree he’s ranked right where he should be he’s not a world beater and at a much more difficult weight class then 197 
He lost twice to Aaron Naples. Both of his best wins are during the best tournament of his life. Is it possible that he suddenly jumped levels between MACs and NCAAs? I guess. But more likely he just got hot. The obvious variable is he's in the Penn State room, but it's entirely possible that one of their freshmen is the better wrestler.

Also, neither of them has wrestled in a year, and wasn't Conel's injury back or neck related?

There's just no way to reasonably argue that Conel should be ranked higher in his weight class than Kemerer based on the composition of both weights.
 
You guys aren't worried at all about the weight jump?  I like Kemerer a lot... he's about as solid as they come, but the weight isn't irrelevant.  If he wrestles Labriola tomorrow, who are you taking?
Not really, no. I'm worried about the injury, but I just think he's straight better than everyone besides Hall and Amine. I'd pick him over Labriola if healthy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

He lost twice to Aaron Naples. Both of his best wins are during the best tournament of his life. Is it possible that he suddenly jumped levels between MACs and NCAAs? I guess. But more likely he just got hot. The obvious variable is he's in the Penn State room, but it's entirely possible that one of their freshmen is the better wrestler.

Also, neither of them has wrestled in a year, and wasn't Conel's injury back or neck related?

There's just no way to reasonably argue that Conel should be ranked higher in his weight class than Kemerer based on the composition of both weights.
 

Imagine Conel and Kemerer both wrestled last year.  What would their preseason ranking have been?  Kemerer? 3rd if he was at 157 would be my guess.  Conel was 3rd at NCAAs.  Every ranking service would have him 3rd at the end of the 2018 and both finalists at his weight were graduating seniors.  Some ranking service would have had him as the preseason number one and it wouldn't have been outlandish.  Rankings aren't predictions for what's going to happen in March they are based on results and past accomplishments.

I think the Conel injury was his shoulder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

It's a solid ranking.

It's no slam-dunk by any means, but if you weren't wearing any particularly colored glasses when viewing - Iowa has a bit of an edge.

Iowa/PSU

125 #1 Lee / Not-ranked PSU

133 #4 DeSanto / Not-ranked PSU

141 #10 Murin / #2 NIck Lee

149 #4 Lugo / #18 Verkleeren

157 #2 Young / #9 Berge

165 #3 Marinelli / #1 Joseph

174 #5 Kemerer / #1 Hall

184 #7 Wilcke / #2 Rasheed

197 #4 Warner / #12 Conel

Hwt Not-ranked Iowa / #1 Cassar

And yet PSU will probably get 4 champions, win the team & Iowa get 4th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dr. Novak said:

Koll tanking the year can't be good for business at Cornell.  

An Olympic medalist wrestling for them would probably be good for business. Remember, the Professor Cael tanked a year too and it seemed to work out ok for them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...