Jimmy Cinnabon

Iowa ranked #1 by WIN magazine

10 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

Nobody can really rank 133 right now it's a giant guessing game.

??? There is a returning champ at 133 (Gross) and last year's returning crowd at that weight have all pretty much gone for the Oly red shirt - seems to me the only guessing game begins with the number two spot.

4 hours ago, Fishbane said:

Imagine Conel and Kemerer both wrestled last year.  What would their preseason ranking have been?  Kemerer? 3rd if he was at 157 would be my guess.  Conel was 3rd at NCAAs.  Every ranking service would have him 3rd at the end of the 2018 and both finalists at his weight were graduating seniors.  Some ranking service would have had him as the preseason number one and it wouldn't have been outlandish.  Rankings aren't predictions for what's going to happen in March they are based on results and past accomplishments.

I think the Conel injury was his shoulder. 

But they didn't wrestle last-year.  Conel is not going to be ranked 3rd in 2019-2020 for one good tournament in 2017-2018.  He's closer in accomplishments to Sa'Darian Perry than he is to Kemerer.  The entire body of Conel's accomplishments that you want to rank him on are at that one (admittedly important) tournament.  A quick glance at his record from that year seems to show that prior to that NCAA tournament, his only win over an eventual AA that year was over 7th place Shakur Rasheed.

10 hours ago, npope said:

??? There is a returning champ at 133 (Gross) and last year's returning crowd at that weight have all pretty much gone for the Oly red shirt - seems to me the only guessing game begins with the number two spot.

Rankings involve more than just the number 1 spot. I agree that gross wins 133 but there has also been talk of him moving up to 141. Again if everyone has left good luck trying to figure out the top 8 those points count in the team race.

Edited by Sublime607

11 hours ago, VakAttack said:

But they didn't wrestle last-year.  Conel is not going to be ranked 3rd in 2019-2020 for one good tournament in 2017-2018.  He's closer in accomplishments to Sa'Darian Perry than he is to Kemerer.  The entire body of Conel's accomplishments that you want to rank him on are at that one (admittedly important) tournament.  A quick glance at his record from that year seems to show that prior to that NCAA tournament, his only win over an eventual AA that year was over 7th place Shakur Rasheed.

And WIN has Rasheed ranked number 2!  Wins over number 2 at 184 and number 1 at 197.   He should be higher than 12. 

5 hours ago, Dr. Novak said:

Not that anyone cares but Princeton will win the Ivy League ending Cornell's run.  Other than Diakomihalis none of the Cornell wrestlers has any shot at winning an Olympic spot.   

I would not count those chickens before they hatch - Cornell is leaving a lot of studs on the sideline this year (Yianni, Vito, Max D, & Berryessa) but they will still be a competitive team - they have some talent coming in (Yapjoulian 49, Merola 65, Loew & Fagen 97, Furman & Janney Hvy) plus they have some really good guys coming back in Tucker & Darmstadt.  I expect that Rob Koll isn't going to give up the Ivy title without a fight.  It should be an interesting contest. 

On 9/13/2019 at 4:07 AM, lu1979 said:

Win always has a lot of omissions that leave you thinking that their rankers really aren't paying much attention.  RBY was one of the most blatant. Some others: Mattin Mi is he RS? Myers VT has been widely reported to be dropping to 125 they have him @ 133. Also Paetzal Lehigh is dropping to 125 and should be ranked there.  Duncan Ill @ 133?  No mention of Gfeller despite reports that he is going 141 to replace Brock. No Prince Navy @ 149. I would be surprised to see Hayes still at 157 this year. McCormick Army should probably be ranked at165. Darmstadt should be ranked at 184 vs 197. J Holschlag No Iowa is a top 5 guy who was omitted at 197. T Lane Cal Poly @ 197 made the round of 12 at NCAAs lst year and should be ranked. i am sure there are a few oversights I missed but WINs rankings continue to be about the worst out there.

I'm glad somebody else brought it up. I hate to bash wrestling publications because I certainly couldn't do it but WIN drives me crazy. If you click on the Junior Hodge Award, they haven't updated the winners in 2 years. The Wade Schalles award says it is for the nation's best high school pinner but it goes to college kids. If you click on NAIA rankings the first article on top of the list is about Grand View being number one in the 2013 - 2014 season as is the first thing you come to after clicking on division 3 rankings, etc etc etc. Again I don't want to bash but if you're not going to update something and then just remove it from the website.