maligned

First Worlds draws are out...Greco Day 1 thread

Draws are out for Day 1 of Greco at Worlds. They grouped all 4 non-Olympic weights (55-63-72-82) together for Day 1 to start the competition and they'll wrestle 3 Olympic weights each of the following two days.

These first 4 weights have only 18-20-25-23 competitors since they're non-Olympic and most nations' budgets are limited to Olympic weights. 

Thankfully, three of our four guys avoided Round of 32 pigtail matches and are straight into the Round of 16

Edited by maligned

Sadly, possibly our best hope for a medal from this group, Mango at 63kg, will have to wrestle in the first round. He'll be up 6th on Mat A vs. Correia of Portugal at a little after 1:30am Eastern/10:30pm Pacific. He'd get 2018 bronze medalist Bilici of Turkey second round and 2-seed Asian champ China, host Kazakhstan, or India in the quarters. Not the easiest of draws, so hopefully Correia turns out to be the easy warmup he seems to be on paper.

24 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

These are actually pretty lucky draws overall. Still going to be tough. I think we get 1 to the quarters and 1 to the semis today

It's hard to see where we've got a path to the semi's outside of one or two significant upsets. I don't see Nowry or Stefanowicz winning their first matches. Bunker could get to the quarters and Mango joining him with an upset over Turkey isn't impossible to imagine. Mango getting BOTH upsets in the R16 and quarters will be a tall order and Bunker winning in the quarters would be a big upset. Hopefully I'm wrong on this!

17 minutes ago, maligned said:

It's hard to see where we've got a path to the semi's outside of one or two significant upsets. I don't see Nowry or Stefanowicz winning their first matches. Bunker could get to the quarters and Mango joining him with an upset over Turkey isn't impossible to imagine. Mango getting BOTH upsets in the R16 and quarters will be a tall order and Bunker winning in the quarters would be a big upset. Hopefully I'm wrong on this!

Yeah I have limited knowledge of international Greco. You are probably right. 

14 hours ago, maligned said:

Nowry has Euro bronze medalist Schmitt of Germany first followed potentially by 4-seed Algeria or Asian bronze Kazakhstan in the quarters.

Well... The medal of Schmitt is a bit overrated, at Euro Games somehow he already started in the semi finals, lost and then won in the bronze match. 

Mango goes down 7-4 to Turkey in the R16. 

Bunker falls 6-2 to #1 Bulgaria in the quarters.

Nowry drops a tight 3-2 decision to host Kazakhstan in the quarters.

All 3 wrestled well but will have to sweat out the next rounds for repechage possibilities. 

Summary of the early session:

A 3-4 overall record with Nowry, Bunker, and Stefanowicz still alive with repechage hopes as the guys who beat them head into the semifinals.

Honestly, we're a bit unlucky not to have done better. We banged in all 7 matches, never got teched or pinned, had a couple dominant wins, and very well could have had a couple semifinalists. Hopefully the semis go our way and a couple of these guys get second life.

Edited by maligned

5 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Nowry was good enough to make the semis. Now he is almost definitely out. Sucks. 

He really surprised me. The Germans are always strong at every weight in Greco and the Kazakh was on home soil having already taken out the #4. He battled better than anyone we've run out at that weight the last several years.