maligned

First Worlds draws are out...Greco Day 1 thread

Well, I thought Nowry, Mango, and Bunker all looked pretty good in their first matches, I know that there was a lot of talk about Nowry, and his first opponent, but I thought Max did an excellent job of dealing with a guy who has given him some problems in the past. In his 2nd match he came very close to prevailing, and he was able to hit a good throw near the end of the match however, they didn’t award him any points. Anyway tonight hopefully Nowry, can get by his first match ( which I believe he will ), and then battle for the Bronze. 

Mango, in his 2nd match, seemed to be at a pretty big disadvantage with his opponent’s size. Billici was able to jack Ryan up to his tippy toes with that under hook, and put Ryan on the defensive which cost Ryan time and effort trying to extricate himself from this. Although Ryan is a extremely muscular guy, his opponent’s height really helped him control the match.

Raymond Bunker had a really active first match, and did well to overcome a deficit and pull out a victory. In his 2nd match Bunky was holding his own until par terre when his opponent’s strength and technique really came into play. Although this tournament is over for Raymond, hopefully we see Bunky again in the USA lineup. 

Stefanowicz, well I didn’t get to see much in his first match because his opponent’s quality and ability to control the match. But fortunately Gobadze was able to reach the finals and pull John back into repechage. Tonight John will first face off with Qian who shocked the arena with his fall of the Turk. Hopefully John can avoid any big moves from his opponent and move into the Bronze medal match.  

Well I hope both John and Max can do well tonight, If they can, I think that will be a positive note for the rest of the team, and depending how well they do, like if they both earn Bronze medals, I believe it will have a big impact on our Greco program going forward. Hopefully the new guys going tonight will have a fantastic tournament.

Thanks all for the updates!!

If I'm looking at the time zone differences right, this is happening right now.  11 pm MTN time should = 11am in Nur Sultan. Correct?

Sunday, September 15

11:00-16:00: Qualification Rounds (GR 67-87-97kg)
11:00-16:00: Repechage (GR 55-63-72-82kg)
16:45-17:30: Opening Ceremony
18:00-18:45: Semifinals (GR 67-87-97kg)
19:00-22:00: Finals (GR 55-63-72-82kg)

Edited by airmail

17 minutes ago, airmail said:

Thanks all for the updates!!

If I'm looking at the time zone differences right, this is happening right now.  11 pm MTN time should = 11am in Nur Sultan. Correct?

Sunday, September 15

11:00-16:00: Qualification Rounds (GR 67-87-97kg)
11:00-16:00: Repechage (GR 55-63-72-82kg)
16:45-17:30: Opening Ceremony
18:00-18:45: Semifinals (GR 67-87-97kg)
19:00-22:00: Finals (GR 55-63-72-82kg)

Yep. Starts at 10am here in the West