Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Journalist Picks

Journalist picks for World Championships: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/September/13/Journalists-pick-the-champions-for-2019-World-Championships

There is not a ton of variety in the freestyle champ picks at certain weights. Others are viewed as more open. I'm a little surprised nobody threw in a vote for Chamizo, but only a little.

57 - Fix, Kang (PRK), Amiraslanov (AZE), Sanayev (KAZ), Takahashi (JPN), Uguev (RUS) all got votes

61 - Lomtadze (GEO), Ehsanpoor (IRI), Yamaguchi (JPN), Idrisov (RUS), Bonne (CUB)

65 - Bajrang (IND), Rashidov (RUS), Aliev (AZE), Otoguro (JPN)

70 - Batirov (BHR), Baev (RUS), Kaipanov (KAZ), Iakobishvili (GEO)

74 - Burroughs, Sidakov (RUS) - 10-7 in favor of Burroughs

79 - Dake

86 - Yazdanicharati (IRI)

92-  Cox, Karimi (IRI) - 14-3 in favor of Cox

97 - Snyder, Sadulaev (RUS) - 10-7 in favor of Sadulaev

125 - Petriashvili (GEO), Akgul (TUR) - 11-6 in favor of Akgul

Both Fix choices were by Americans. Only one American picked Sidakov. 

Edited by IronChef

1 hour ago, MagnetBack said:

You're a bit surprised Cox doesn't garner a little more support?! 14 of 17 journalists picked him. Seems a bit high. Karimi and others are capable. 

Cox is 3-0 against Karimi and Karimi is easily the 2nd best guy in the field. 

Overall pretty conservative picks, hard to argue against any of them. wonder if the ranking system helped. easier to know who the top contenders are? I feel like in the past there's always been a few real head-scratchers.

I love Dake and hope he wins. I don't know enough to predict who might beat him. But I am surprised he is such an overwhelming choice since he tends to have a lot of close matches (as he did in college, too). He lost badly at Yarygin, even if he avenged the loss. He often seems to be one or two moves form losing even when he wins, as he does almost always..

Gotta love the guy that picked Ehsanpour to win Gold at 61kg over Bonne Idrisov and Hamaguchi, he's got some Iranian in him for sure. 

Karimi is a fantastic wrestler he just has very bad luck that Cox is his age and a beast, and at 97kg things get even worse. I'd like to see him compete at 86kg vs DT, maybe he'd be a better style match up than Yazdani, but I don't think that's going to happen. 

17 hours ago, The Genius said:

Gotta love the guy that picked Ehsanpour to win Gold at 61kg over Bonne Idrisov and Hamaguchi, he's got some Iranian in him for sure. 

Karimi is a fantastic wrestler he just has very bad luck that Cox is his age and a beast, and at 97kg things get even worse. I'd like to see him compete at 86kg vs DT, maybe he'd be a better style match up than Yazdani, but I don't think that's going to happen. 

According to my AncestryDNA, there isn't a smidge of my heritage that comes from anywhere other than Eastern Europe. Kinda depressing actually. 

On 9/13/2019 at 4:01 PM, NJDan said:

I love Dake and hope he wins. I don't know enough to predict who might beat him. But I am surprised he is such an overwhelming choice since he tends to have a lot of close matches (as he did in college, too). He lost badly at Yarygin, even if he avenged the loss. He often seems to be one or two moves form losing even when he wins, as he does almost always..

That Yarygin loss to Gadhzi wasn't as bad as  I'd heard.  Wasn't it 6-2 or similar?  And Dake looked awful until he started attacking late.  And with Gadhzi hurt, the Russian rep is only the #5 guy at the weight.  They also have the #2 guy at 79, and I'm not sure why he isn't the rep.  Maybe he's also injured?

The Azerbaijiani (Hasanov?) is good, but has already lost to Dake, and with 79 a non-Olympic weight, it isn't very deep.  He and Cox are probably the two most heavily favored wrestlers in MFS.

Edited by whaletail

For me, 65 is by far the hardest to pick, and I really hope the top 5-8 guys are spread across all for quads.

I'm picking Otoguru, but Punia, Aliev, Rashidov and Valdes are all gold medal threats, and a decent draw could put Zain right in the mix, at least for a medal, as well.

Damn, and I almost forget Khinch.

Jesus, 65 is absolutely stacked!

Edited by whaletail