Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

More on Greco v. Freestyle

I have often seen it said that more countries compete in Greco than Freestyle. But it looks to me that at this year's worlds, there are 84 nations competing in freestyle compared to 64 in greco.  There are also more freestlyers entered, though it's close. Finally, isn't the fact that Freestlye is being wrestled after Greco an indication that Freestyle is more popular? After all, in high school basketball, the JV always plays first and the varsity plays the nightcap. 

7 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I have often seen it said that more countries compete in Greco than Freestyle. But it looks to me that at this year's worlds, there are 84 nations competing in freestyle compared to 64 in greco.  There are also more freestlyers entered, though it's close. Finally, isn't the fact that Freestlye is being wrestled after Greco an indication that Freestyle is more popular? After all, in high school basketball, the JV always plays first and the varsity plays the nightcap. 

Last style is typically the preferred style of the host nation. Kazakhstan are hosting and they prefer freestyle. Junior worlds, for example, were in Estonia, a greco nation, so Greco was last.

8 minutes ago, LJB said:

greco is wrestled after free at fargo now... i guess greco is more popular than the JV sport of free in this country...

At Fargo, most or much of the time, the same guys wrestle both styles, so that throws things off. But I trust maligned that the host nation dictates the order.

I think this is one of those things where we can find our own statistics to display to show our respective side of the whole thing. However I think the point of this topic is the same and undeniable, Greco popularity and support in the US is far below that compared to the world stage, and unfortunately as long as that stays we will never compete in with world stage as a consistent contender. And that is sad, while I do not have the level of .....passion.....on my preferred style as LBJ, Greco is my preferred style and I wish we could become that country that looks to knock off the Russians each year in Greco. But the trend the last decade or so is not favorable....

Edited by Lurker

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

At Fargo, most or much of the time, the same guys wrestle both styles, so that throws things off. But I trust maligned that the host nation dictates the order.

throws things off of your ridiculous statement?

gotcha, sparky...