Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

One-Man Teams Manned by Americans

6 hours ago, NJDan said:

That's what I thought. But it  does not seem that anyone totally unqualified shows up. Or do we just not see those matches?

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

It happens.  Mostly prelims. 

Most countries won’t send a rep if he isn’t on the same playing field though. Their federations normally have poor funding also, as most rely on government support and the government isn’t going to throw money at a sport they suck at. 

Mid you look at the African continental, you see wrestlers from all sorts of African countries. Few show up to worlds, even though they are allowed to. It makes sense. I wouldn’t want to be the guy to eat up half of South Africa’s freestyle budget to get teched in 30 seconds by a Canadian

Brings up the memories of Saitiev vs a wrestler from I believe Senegal from the 03 worlds I think. First round the wrestler somehow manages to score on Saitiev or does something that pisses him off. Tech fall didn’t end the match then, you could elect to keep wrestling to work for the pin. Saitiev won like 30-2 or something.

10 minutes ago, tec87 said:

Brings up the memories of Saitiev vs a wrestler from I believe Senegal from the 03 worlds I think. First round the wrestler somehow manages to score on Saitiev or does something that pisses him off. Tech fall didn’t end the match then, you could elect to keep wrestling to work for the pin. Saitiev won like 30-2 or something.

Partially correct. The tech did end the match, although in the pool system, you had the option to continue to try to work for the fall. I believe it was 34-2. Diatta got a one pointer in there later too. Don't exactly recall how.